AMA with Wyze VP of Product, Steve McIrvin - 6/15/2022 1:00 PM Pacific

I’m Wyze VP of Product Steve McIrvin - AMA! - Summary

You may easily view every answer he gave without all the extra noise by visiting his profile link directly:

https://www.reddit.com/user/WyzeSteve/

[Note, in the following summary, font changes such as bold, or text in brackets (such as changing “it” to what “it” is meant to stand for) are my alterations to add clarity or to help TL;DR people who want to scan responses fast. Each quote has the source link in the question for those who wish to view it themselves. --please let me know if you notice anything I overlooked]

What concrete improvements do you personally believe you have contributed to Wyze since you joined the company? What are your primary goals and efforts for the near future (preferably something other than finance/profit related)?

[The above response alone automatically makes him one of my favorite Wyze employees now!]

When will RTSP firmware be available again on the Wyze Website?

New Products Hint?

Is there any plan to integrate a microsd into the doorbell in order to local save camera footage?

1) Does Wyze have any plans to revive something similar to MaxDrive? 2) Will a WiFi dashcam ever be considered?

MATTER INITIATIVE UPDATES

Any plans to release the API? This would be a huge help for more integrations with IFTTT or other home automation systems and tools!

[Very excited that he is basically announcing a move toward local control/access here]

What do you see as the future of the smart home (beyond just Matter)? What do you think will be the next breakthroughs in the industry?

Smart Switch without Neutral Wiring

3 Way Light Switch?

Plans for improving Stability/Connectivity

When will webview exit Beta or get an update?

Plans for an app design overhaul? (Including adding dark mode and landscape orientation capabilities)

SD card issues (can’t access when shared, hard to search without cloud recordings, reliability concerns, UI needs an update):

Upgraded Robot Vacuum Models in the works (such as using AI to avoid cords, pet waste, or other things left on the floor that the LIDAR can’t see), upgraded dock, etc?

When will we see a maintained inventory of Wyze Robot Parts Kits?

What’s Wyze’s Product Positioning in the Market?

Cameras with 2K or higher?

4k Camera?

Wishlist Comments in this case about swiping between cameras and different notifications between shared users:

Any plans to increase the volume for the home security system? Maybe add a chime?

I’d love to hear your thoughts on this University project you’re doing where you’re having students present capstone projects to you where they present AI features or App design changes. Can you share if you are considering implementing any of their suggestions, or will you be implementing anything similar to what they presented, and what are some examples?

How about a Wyze washing machine and dryer? With a V3 cam inside so I can watch my clothes spin around.

The above mentioned Podcast may be listened to here:
Product Mastery Now for Product Managers, Innovators, and Leaders - # 391: PRODUCT VP OF WYZE USES COMMUNITY FOR PRODUCT INNOVATION AND YOU CAN TOO – WITH STEVE MCIRVIN

What about a fingerprint lock with a key hole?

Wyze Drone?

I don’t have internet at my new house yet - can I connect my Wyze devices to a 2.4 ghz network that’s operational but not connected to the internet?

Can a roadmap be released for products? Maybe a rough timeline for new products and upgrades planned. Even something like Jira or Aha! with public visibility.

Thanks so much, everyone! I really enjoyed talking with you and finding out the issues you’re most concerned about. Please stay safe as you travel now that everything is opening back up again here in the US.

-Steve McIrvin, Wyze VP of Product

You may easily view every answer he gave without all the extra noise by visiting his profile link directly:

https://www.reddit.com/user/WyzeSteve/

11 Likes