App Dark Theme/Mode

That appears to be a long ways off due to what it takes to fix it. Wyze has addressed this many times:

One of those in an early Fix-It-Friday announcement:

They’ve elaborated on this many times. This summer the VP of Product said this about it:

Basically, it’s not as easy a fix as we all wish because the foundation of the app wasn’t setup to support layout structures and so they now need to rebuild the entire thing from scratch which is going to take some time, but is something they plan to do when they have enough mobile developers, etc to support the effort.

In the meantime, Wyze has been adding “Dark Mode” compliance to individual devices’ “Plugin” UI’s lately, little by little while we’re waiting for the rest of the main app to support it.

For example, The Floor Lamp is in Dark Mode, Lighting/Bulbs are in Dark Mode, Air Purifiers, Robot Vacuum, Video Doorbells, Outdoor Plugs, Thermostat, Sprinkler controller, etc…at least until you hit “Settings” and it uses app Foundation UI which is still in White

It is nice to see that they have been making an effort to convert some of the device plugins to Dark Mode while they’re waiting to redo Version 3 of the app so it can be supported in the main UI. The efforts are appreciated by me…

For Android users who are really desperate for dark mode now, there are ways to force the Wyze app into Dark Mode using the Android system or opensource apps. The only downside I’ve found is that you can’t use dark mode with QR codes, so you have to switch back out when you set up some of the cameras that are reliant on QR codes to get the WiFi info. Otherwise it works great.

I am still very anxious for a full app rewrite to remove all the design debt so they can fix dark mode everywhere permanently. I very strongly prefer dark mode.

3 Likes