Wyze app 3.0 - Released 7/24/2024

There’s some sort of weird bug with the Favourite list with Automation rules. I believe this is an Android only bug because I can’t recreate it on my iOS Ipad.

1. I have a shortcut rule automation to turn on my two Floodlight V1 for 15 min. When I added it to Favourites and tried to edit it by pressing the arrow and change the duration, the app will crash. Also, you can see the from the screen capture the duration is blank. However, if I go into “Automation” for that particular rule it will show 15 min and it won’t crash if I change the duration.

1. When you make new automation rules and you add it to Favorites, you can’t modify them in the Favourite list by pressing the arrow. It only works after when you restart the app.
1 Like

The Devices tab is NOT functionally the same. In the previous version you would add devices to a group, then they would disappear from the list because they were nested into the group. Everything was nice, tidy, and organized.

Now on the devices tab, the app displays the groups AND all of your devices in a flat list that only allows you to move one item at a time. Between home and work I have over 60 individual devices , and 10 groups in my list. It’s a nightmare, because there is no ability to sort, or filter. At the very least, there needs to be filter options with checkboxes that allow you to show or hide all of the different types of devices including groups. Better yet, the groups could have their own tab instead of being lumped into the devices tab where the only way to tell the difference is the tiny icon looks a bit different.

The Favorites tab is completely unusable with this many devices. I had to remove everything in order for the app to function properly because (as many people have mentioned) it attempts to stream everything at once. An incident occurred where an an entire group of devices was accidentally shut off because of the little power button added to the objects listed on the favorites screen. What a horrible thing… To tap on a device group and accidentally turn of production devices because the power icon takes up 25% of the objects tap area. Needless to say, every object that presents a power button icon needs to also present the user the ability to disable the power function for that object specifically. That or remove the feature altogether and force the user to first tap on the device, then tap on a power icon that then presented.

The new app likely works just swell for some folks connected to less than 10 devices. It might even be pretty awesome to use some of these features as the developers had originally intended. However, the reality is that usability has been reduced compared to the previous version and a wide variety of new issues have been introduced while a plethora of persistent issues still remain in the Wyze ecosystem. Wyze needs to stop saturating the market with just-barely functioning devices and half-baked application changes, and fix what they have already developed and sold to customers. The more Wyze devices you have in your environment, the more time is spent troubleshooting a dizzying array of issues. These egregiously underperforming devices and application updates need to be slowed down and have more thought put into the impact it will have on customers.

2 Likes

I did say that this was my initial impressions- first 30 minures in fact.

To each their own. I really disliked that devices disappeared from the devices list when grouped. V3 is best of both worlds for me.

I think a big part of the issue here is that neither V2 or V3 apps really scale well at all. If you only have a handful of devices, I can definitely see how it may be confusing or not desirable when the devices just vanish into the group. Or how having easy access to certain features at just one tap instead of burying it behind several taps. It would be incredibly quick and easy to just open the app, tap, tap, done. That would be a very satisfying experience indeed.

But when you add dozens more devices, you very quickly need to have the flexibility to organize things in a way that makes more sense to having that many feeds coming into the app. Using the app becomes more burdensome the more devices you add into the mix, it just simply can’t handle it. So a certain subset of users with a relatively low number of devices seem to be having anywhere from an OK to a great experience, while apparently most everyone else that has invested heavily into the ecosystem are seeing much less satisfactory outcomes.

All of the customers need to be accommodated here. Why can’t we have it both ways? I think that’s what was trying to be accomplished, but it woefully missed the mark. The existing features should be updated so that they are more functional for a wider variety of users, you can also add cool new features as well, as long as they don’t cripple the app. Instead things have been changed altogether, creating more division in the userbase. Why not just leave the Devices page the way it was, but then add the feature to show the groups collapsed or expanded? Add a section to the ‘edit group’ page that shows devices in other groups that the user may be interested in adding. As it stands, I still can’t put one device in more than one group which would make automations substantially more flexible and useful.

I see how the Favorites page could be a great idea, but it’s just not workable right now. The user needs to be able to better control the variety of functions that each widget presents. I don’t want a power button on all of my camera groups, but it would be great to have one presented on a specific device, or group of lights or outlets of my choosing. More time needs to be spent on fixing and improving existing features, and less effort should be spent on rushing new features out the door to force more engagement with the app.

So the path the user takes to get to modifying an Automation matters and can potentially break things? Yeah, that sounds like a :cockroach:.

:+1: I like this idea. :point_up:

I like this idea :point_up: less, mostly because adding another tab seems like it shouldn’t be necessary. The idea of using filters and/or sorting in ascending or descending alphabetical order—something that users are frequently presented and that makes intuitive sense and which would also conceivably sort/group items with emoji in their names[1][2][3]—seems more workable to me.

Another alternative might be the way some other apps handle a toggling interface. I’d like to see some options available to the user.

I agree. This is one of my major ongoing beefs.

I’d tend to agree with that, too. I never have been a fan of the “move fast and break things” philosophy espoused by Facebook. I want the function of my tech to be as stable as possible.

I want to do this, too. At least that’s still part of the future plan. :man_shrugging:

1. ↩︎

2. ↩︎

3. I’m going to refer to this as emojibetical order. ↩︎

This is what I said when I was like @Crease and hadn’t used the app yet. :wink:

To be fair you don’t have to click on the devices tab, just click on the camera on the home page, either way it’s the same amount of clicks, which is just stupid. But I’m beyond frustrated at how slow the app takes to view my cameras. What was Wyze thinking? No way they tested this new app long enough and now we have to suffer through it until they come up with a fix. And by then they’ll probably release another huge change to the app, causing even more issues.

1 Like

The problem with doing that is then all the cameras in the group seem to start connecting all at once. This causes connection failures sometimes. I still have the old app on another phone and that doesn’t happen there.

2 Likes

The new interface on the app is terrible. Wyze should change it back.

3 Likes

Okay I understand now, it makes sense. So I tried it and load times were so much faster. Since I don’t need a live feed from several cameras at once, now I can use it more like how it was previously. If only I could get the app to default to the Device page, it seems to always want to open right to the Home page.

1 Like

My gripe with the old app was that over time it got slower to start. So let’s say the door bell rings and I want to see who it is, It took quite some time for the app to start and for the camera to load. From the sounds of it, 3.0 is even worse. That was the one criteria for me, to quickly pull up a camera. Clearly this is not improved for 3.0. I wish there was a scaled down app that was just dedicated to cameras and didn’t include all the other stuff Wyze sells. I don’t want to control a vacuum, scale and lights, I just want a well working cam app.

4 Likes

You can force stop the app and it will start and load cams faster.

Switch out Favorites and Device tabs. Open app with the device tab/list. Open Favorites and livestream only when tab selected. Option to turn off specific cams livestreaming in Favorites per active session. Or disable Favorites until the app can be modified and upgraded.

By my estimations, current poll is about 80 - 85% not in favor of current 3.0 app and that’s not being generous.

3 Likes

Said like a true employee using a fake forum ID. Well done.

peepeep isn’t a Wyze employee. People have varying degrees of annoyance with Wyze. Why label everybody who has a different view from yours, a Wyze employee?

1 Like

I feel fairly confident saying that Wyze would never pay me actual money or things of value in exchange for commenting here.

If you could arrange it I will gladly split it 60/40. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I agree with cat cat. This has often helped and never hurt going back to 1.0.

3.0 continues the trend, in my experience. :slight_smile:

Is this pick on @peepeep month?

Seems harassment is high this month.

I tried out 3.0 in one phone. one issue is when I added standalone cams to a group, those cams continue to be standalone while being in the group too. How can I fix this?