Fix-It Friday 6/2/2023

Fix-It Friday Callout

Well my Forum friends, we made it to Friday! :grinning:

You know what that means. it means it is time for this month’s Fix-It-Friday callout! :tada:

If this is your first Fix-It Friday, welcome! For background, while our communities are not designed to be a replacement for Wyze Support , our community members and community managers do our best to help you out here. As our communities scale up, we want to make sure that any outstanding bugs or issues that you folks are facing are on our internal radar and that we’re transparent in our process of working on them.

Here’s how this works:

• We’ll make a post on the first Friday of the month in every community (Core Community on Facebook, Forums, Reddit, and Discord).
  • Check the comments. If you see any other comments with issues that you’re facing, vote for them with a like (the heart button at the bottom of their reply)
  • Got something new? Reply to our post with the top issue that you’re facing this week with your Wyze products to help loop us in.
  • We’ll grab the top comment from each community and make a follow-up post on Monday to detail what those issues are and how we plan to fix them. If we need more info from the community to help figure out what’s going on, we’ll let you know on Monday - so please make sure to take a look!
  • The following Mondays in the month, we’ll be posting updates about our progress on Fix-It Friday submissions.
  • Sometimes Mondays are actually Tuesdays if we don’t get all the info we need on time for posting on Monday. Our apologies! :sweat_smile:
  • Remember, this is for existing things that aren’t working right. If you are looking for a new feature or for us to add functionality that’s not already available, please use our Wishlist instead!

We’re constantly working on improvements for everyone. But we hope that this process will both help us prioritize issues that are important to our communities and help you feel more in the loop.

Got a request for something new or an additional feature? Check our Wishlist to see if it’s in the works or has been requested. :slightly_smiling_face:

If you want to see how this works, you can check this previous Fix-It Friday post:

3 Likes

Sprinkler Controller Schedule Bugs

There are several users who are still reporting that the Sprinkler Controller is skipping days that are scheduled when it seems it should not. Link includes the start of the discussion in May (though it may be worth reviewing prior to that as well, I just wanted to make sure it was clear that people are still reporting this as a recent issue, not just from last year prior to the July 2022 update which fixed it for many other people):

I am personally not experiencing this issue but am submitting this to Fix-it-Friday on behalf of all the other users reporting it. In the above posted thread, a brief review shows recent users discussing this as recently as May 2023 include: sjs & apalazze (both of whom have had logs reviewed by the PM in April), and more recently since then: john22, DannyBoi, iamstillvince, Dweesil, cclarke96.

It seems to me that a common day being reported as being skipped is “Sunday” for some reason.

6 Likes

Scale S Firmware will not update for some users.

The following thread has at least 2 users confirming that their Scale-S will not update to firmware version 1.0.107 for some reason:

5 Likes

The Wyze Plug Rule Trigger for “Has been on for” fails to operate properly when set to 2 hours. (It works fine for smaller values.)

3 Likes

Location rules never work and neither does Geo fencing

3 Likes

WCO V2 delays turning on IR lights in event videos.

This issue doesn’t happen on the WCO v1.

1 Like

Hi, everybody!

It’s time for Fix-It Friday and our new batch of issues to discuss! We didn’t have a winner on Discord so we used a second one from Reddit to round out the list. Here’s the info:

:calendar: Reddit - The current day will not show in the Events tab until the iOS app is restarted :calendar:

We sent out a fix for this in the 2.42.5 app release this week! It appears to have fixed this issue for most people but we saw a couple of reports saying that people are still affected. We’re looking into those edge cases with the developers. Please let us know if this is still a problem for you!

:see_no_evil: Reddit - Camera feeds in iOS will not stream until the app has been force closed :see_no_evil:

We’re hoping that this is related to an issue we’re working on in the 2.43 app but want to make sure. If you experience this, could you please post a screen recording of this problem and a log? Here are the log instructions:

Recreate the issue. Then in the Wyze app, go to Account > Wyze Support > Submit a Log. Select your device from the dropdown menu. Then fill in the description box with the date, time, and time zone of the most recent time you noticed this issue and a description of what’s happening. Make sure the Send Logs option is selected and then submit your log. When you have the log number, please post it here as a reply to me so I can get it to the right folks.

:balance_scale: Core - Wyze Scale S does not download saved data unless the app is open to the scale section :balance_scale:

We have identified a possible cause for this issue on Android and our team is working to resolve this. If you’re experiencing this on iOS, please let us know and submit a log!

Recreate the issue. Then in the Wyze app, go to Account > Wyze Support > Submit a Log. Select your device from the dropdown menu. Then fill in the description box with the date, time, and time zone of the most recent time you noticed this issue and a description of what’s happening. Make sure the Send Logs option is selected and then submit your log. When you have the log number, please post it here as a reply to me so I can get it to the right folks.

:cloud_with_rain: Forum - Wyze Sprinkler Controller schedule skipping days :cloud_with_rain:

We are going through the submitted logs for this and will share more information as we receive it.

- Let’s Take a Look at Some Previous Submissions -

:black_joker: Core - Playback stutters when selected for the first few seconds of Playback from the microSD card :black_joker:

We released Wyze Cam v3 Pro firmware 4.58.11.4679 to the public this week! Please give it a try and let us know if this issue is fixed or if it still exists for you.

:face_with_monocle: Core - Cameras appear offline in the app, though they are online and viewable :face_with_monocle:

Are you still being impacted by this? On Wyze Cam v3 and Wyze Cam Pan v2, we have a very low fake offline rate according to our metrics. How is the current publicly released firmware working for you?

:black_square_button: Reddit - Wyze Video Doorbell Pro is detecting people outside of the motion detection zone :black_square_button:

We have some optimization in the new Wyze Video Doorbell Pro firmware. However, if the doorbell is set to battery power, there may be a chance that the doorbell detects motion before fully waking up (causing it to bypass the detection zone). If this is happening to you, please consider using wired power for your doorbell. We’ll keep this open for another week to see if anyone has further feedback for us. If not, we’ll remove this from the update list.

:person_cartwheeling: Core - Cameras detecting motion outside of the detection zone :person_cartwheeling:

It sounds like this may have been related to the Wyze Video Doorbell Pro issue above. If you encountered this with another product, please let us know! Otherwise, we’ll remove this entry from the update list next week.

:bulb: Discord - Wyze Cam v3 Pro spotlight will not turn off after first motion detection at night. Resetting fixes it but becomes an issue again about a month later :bulb:

The Wyze Cam v3 Pro firmware released this week fixes this problem! Please give it a try. If you’re still running into this issue, please let us know. Otherwise, we’ll remove this from the update list next week.

:frowning_face: Forum - When Wyze Cam v3s are in a group some of them will fail to load live feeds and return an Error Code 90 :frowning_face:

We’re still looking for logs. We know that this is an involved process but they really help! We’ll be building specific metrics to monitor this but could use your assistance. Could you please send those in along with your camera’s MAC address (you can find this in Camera Settings > Device Info) and the timestamp for when the camera went offline? Here are the log instructions:

When the device shows offline, please take out the microSD card and wait a second before re-inserting the card (or inserting a new microSD card). The camera will then make two “ding” sounds usually within 30 seconds.

On your microSD card, there will be a root or log folder with the device log that you can access with a computer. The files are named as xxxxx_log.txt. If there are multiple logs, select the most recent log file.

When you have the log, please email it along with a description of the issue and the date, time, and time zone that it occurred to:

microsdcardlogs@wyze.com

:house: Reddit - Wyze Cam Pan v3 does not return to set home position :house:

We’re still not liking the test results so far. We’re reworking the fix and are going to run it through testing again in mid-June

:astonished: Core - Wyze Cam Pan v3 detection zones not working :astonished:

This is related to the above issue. We’re working on a new algorithm to test and will keep you posted.

:crescent_moon: Forum - Wyze Cam v3 microSD card Playback is skipping the first minute of every hour (excluding midnight) :crescent_moon:

The beta results for this are promising so we believe it’s resolved in the 11.4565 beta build! We’ll keep providing updates until the fix makes it to a public release.

:x: Core - Error 3001 is happening on cameras such as Wyze Cam v2 :x:

We’ll start testing the Wyze Cam v2 and Wyze Cam Pan fixes for this after the 11.X firmware currently in beta goes to the public. So we’re hoping that beta testers will see this soon!

– Updates For Dormant Topics –

:alarm_clock: Wyze Sense Hub Events not showing the correct time :alarm_clock:

We sent out the beta! If you’re a beta tester, please check it out and let us know if the time is syncing properly now!

Thank you for your time! We hope you have a wonderful weekend and we’ll see you next week for Fix-It Friday. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Okay, Fix-it-Friday is user based feedback as to what users want to see fixed. Which makes sense, since you pick off the issues that bother the most users.

So my question is, how do other defects get prioritized and fixed? For example, the Rules defect that fails to turn off a Wyze Plug is an issue of safety; e.g. if some device is not shut off when specified, it might cause damage or even a fire.

While fixing the date on a UI screen might annoy someone, damage and fire (and the possibility of lawsuits) would seem to be a higher priority.

Any insight you can provide would be appreciated.

1 Like

Waiting for months now for positioning problem to be fixed. Panning is useless until fixed. Motion Tracking is useless until fixed. Privacy Mode is useless until fixed. Detection Zones are useless until fixed. Basically, I replaced my Arlo cameras with Wyze with no working new features. A Pan camera that can’t find it’s way back to Home is useless.

Cam Pro V3…every vehicle that drives by it says it’s also a person, in Events. Every person that walks by it says it’s also a vehicle, which makes it virtually useless.

I’ve been sending the events to Wyze, through the app, for weeks with no change. Is there really an “AI” for this camera?

Fix-it-Friday history:

I used to have that problem as well on a V3 cam. What I learned is that the Vehicles were only initiating the motion event upload, they weren’t the actual object that was being tagged as the person. I started blocking out inanimate objects one at a time until it stopped. Turns out that my mailbox that has a bush in front of it looks like a short fat person with a mailbox shaped head :rofl:. I also turned the Vehicle Detections off so that when a person is in my yard, I don’t get the vehicle tags from cars on the street.

1 Like

I’ve seen mail-boxes, fire hydrants and lamp posts do this the most. I sometimes wonder if what may have happened is that a lot of people submitted “Person Detection” videos when a post office worker delivers mail, or a person gets their mail out of the box, and the AI started to think maybe the mailbox should be a person too. But I think it’s just that they seem to have a body outline with a head on top.
Wyze should do some special training with the AI to have it ignore mailboxes.

1 Like

I think the angle of the cam has a lot to do with it too. People look a lot shorter from a high camera angle. And someone crouching down? Who knows what that looks like to the cam. The funny ones are the street signs that tag as people. I’ve never seen someone that skinny!

2 Likes

Funny you should say that!

We just came back in from moving the Cam Pro from the kitchen window to outside and up near the eave of the house and the problem went away.

I’m thinking that the mailbox, and the lamppost by the driveway, is breaking up the stream and forcing the camera to trigger a person event, even thought the vehicle is riding smoothly across the screen.

2 Likes

The cam now has a new field of view. Whatever inanimate object that was previously being mistaken for a person is now being viewed at a different angle so it looks totally different. Now it doesn’t look like a person so much.

2 Likes

Yes, of course…this problem is now solved for me.

I have a bunch of other “problems” I’ll post about some other time (like having the camera ignore my flag!)

1 Like

This is just one of the routes for bugs getting fixed, and you are correct that this way surfaces the more ‘annoying’ bugs. For bugs like you are talking about the best way would be to send in a support ticket.

2 Likes

A recurrence may be the most annoying. And I’m afraid I’m just an edge case.

Bummer. :slightly_frowning_face: