We're the Cam Plus team - AMA! (Summary from Reddit)

“We’re the Cam Plus team - AMA!” - Souce: Reddit

Part 1 of 2: because there is a Character limit for a single post, and this AMA was too big to fit it all into one post (Part 2 is just below).

Original Reddit Source = linked to the title of each response.

Why not make some API’s available as part of Cam Plus?

Will the AI results be able to integrate with the MATTER initiative Wyze is working on in any way so that the detection results can potentially be used in other new ways?

Is being able to see events marked on the playback timeline something you will be adding in the future for cam plus?

Could there be a synchronized playback option so that playback on multiple cameras for the same time is shown on them all on the same screen instead of one at a time?

3 Questions:

1. Can we get to viewing multiple cameras at the same time?
2. Fast forward on the SD card playback?
3. A hub to connect cameras to so that I can have a single Wyze connected to my router instead of 5 separate devices?

Why does the AI work differently for different cam versions?

(Continued explanation part of question)
For example, V2’s and Pan Cams can do Person detection, Face recognition, Package detection, Vehicle detection, Pet detection, Barking, Meowing, Crying, etc.

But V3’s Facial detection doesn’t work and WCO’s don’t even have the option, and many of the others aren’t available to them either. Shouldn’t the AI just analyze ANY video or pixels all the same since it’s done on the cloud not on the camera? Why does it make a big difference what the source is (which cam/device)? Shouldn’t they all have the same AI features working the same way?

When will V3’s be able to do all the extra stuff V2’s can do? And why are V2’s getting the special treatment and extra features first? Shouldn’t the default be to cater for the V3 FIRST as a priority, then do the V2’s afterward?

AI Facial Recognition Questions

(Extended Question details)
Currently the AI facial recognition beta tests (which only work on V2’s/Pan cams, not V3’s or WCO’s), will only label a single face in an event even if there are multiple people with registered face-profiles also in the same event. Will you be working to have it analyze and label ALL faces, not just one?

Also, when the Face recognition beta does label a face, it [at least sometimes if not always] will only label that face profile, but won’t label as “person” too, so when I search for events with a “person” it doesn’t show up. Is this intentional?

Keeping Date/timestamp in view when zooming in

Scrub Video Playback (ie: without removing the SD card)?

Please adjust the sensitivity of the time-scrubbing UI when looking at “playback”? It’s very hard to scrub through just a minute or two.

Is there an update to Rules? Also updates to Alexa?

Right now Alexa can use Person Detections as triggers for other routines. Will you be sharing any other detections to be able to be used by Alexa or other third parties?

AI Future Capabilities questions:

(Continued Question Details)
Since you have a close relationship with Hualai (one of your suppliers who also helps with dev support sometimes), I saw on their page showing what their AI can do (look at the second section that shows an animation of their AI capabilities):

https://www.hualaikeji.com/en/technical

Will you ever have your AI do like they show here and highlight what it is detecting as an object and label that box with a confidence ratio (so we know what it is actually identifying correctly or incorrectly instead of guessing what in the frame it thinks is the object)?

Will you add in thousands of objects like they have done?

Please explain why your supplier, Hualai, holds the WYZE trademark in China since you are not a subsidiary of Hualai?

I have CAM Plus on one camera. You are now offering a deal on multiple cameras. Is there a way to include what I have already paid for and add other cameras with the great deal you are offering?

Will you allow a detection difference between stationary vehicles vs moving vehicles? The difference can be important for a lot of cases. We might want to ignore stationary vehicles and quit labeling videos with stationary vehicles and only label when one is moving.

Is there a way to make a rule that if one camera detects motion, other cameras will begin recording?

What pets are covered in Pet Detection? Cats, Dogs, Rabbits, Pigs, Chickens, etc?

Depending on indoor/outdoor use it could be very useful to know that my pet cat or rabbit is known and recognized so we could “whitelist” that animal but if a wild rat or hawk or some other predator came in be alerted.

What additional function does WyzeCam Plus offer to the outdoor cams that an SD card doesn’t?

Shadows and Light detection to reduce events?

If light makes the AI perform better, is there any Wyze Floodlight Camera being considered?

Do you have plans to add a 2x, 4x, 8x type review when reviewing playback?

Please tell us something new, what else are you considering with the AI?

The video he referenced is embedded here at the exact time frame so people don’t have to leave the forum to watch what he suggested. He’s talking about the new “Wyze Anything Recognition” starting here at 20:23 through 23:40

I know that Wyze Anything Recognition is in early development, but when you create a new model, where does it go? Is it stored on the device or on Wyze servers? Will each person have their own set of individual models?

Enable/disable event recordings and/or notifications based on user locations?

Allowing shared users to have their own notification settings? For example, I want a notification anytime a specific camera detects an event but the other household users do not want those.

Why was record to base station SD disabled with camplus for the wyze outdoor wireless cam?

AI-event bookmarks/pins on the timeline, meaning, if a person, a vehicle, and a package is detected at different portions of a 1min recording, put a “pin/bookmark” with a person icon, vehicle icon or package icon at the appropriate timestamps

Motion sensitivity by zone? Instead of saying this is the detection zone you could have multiple at once, a low, medium and high sensitivity option to help eliminate false positives?

When are you going to make the iOS app trigger an alert while in do not disturb mode?

What is this “Cam Plus Unlimited” I keep hearing people mention?

If I bought Cam Plus Unlimited, what should I do about the other Cam Plus Subscriptions I already had?

Part 1 of 2: because there is a Character limit for a single post, and this AMA was too big to fit it all into one post (Part 2 is just below).

I may [or may not] have accidentally tagged a few responses as being by WyzeShawn when they were actually by one of the other employees [because my template had Shawn’s name in there by default since he did most of the answers), but otherwise what was quoted is still correct and from a Wyze employee. If anyone checks the source link and notices a name correction that should be made, let me know and I’ll update it.

8 Likes

Part 2 of 2: because there is a Character limit for a single post, and this AMA was too big to fit it all into one post.

Why is it that when I actually get a package cam plus doesn’t say a word but if my daughter or I have out gym backs or a trash bag it’s like PACKAGE!

RTSP QUESTIONS:

Why not have events record a couple of seconds prior to detection?

How did the idea for the Wyze Car come about?

Will there be true horizontal support to the iPad App, its still in vertical orientation?

How did the idea for the Wyze Car come about?

Any thoughts on if we can make the Wyze Car faster? :stuck_out_tongue:

Referenced Video in above response embedded here for convenience:

How soon could we see a Pet Tracker?

Plans for 4k cameras?

I may [or may not] have accidentally tagged a few responses as being by WyzeShawn when they were actually by one of the other employees [because my template had Shawn’s name in there by default since he did most of the answers), but otherwise what was quoted is still correct and from a Wyze employee. If anyone checks the source link and notices a name correction that should be made, let me know and I’ll update it.

10 Likes

OMG, I can’t imagine the amount of time that took to create! Super excellent, as AMAs are like the ONLY place you can get around NDAs!! Well done, @carverofchoice! :grin:

6 Likes

LOL So true, you can quote AMA responses without violating any NDA because it was said by a Wyze employee in a public announcement, so you can just quote that in responses to help answer people! LOL I didn’t think about how that can be so beneficial to so many of you Mods/Mavens testing things under NDA’s! That’s awesome.

Yeah, at first it told me I wasn’t allowed to post this because I exceeded some 32,000 character limit! :rofl: Had to split it up to be able to publish it in the first place…I guess we know the limit now. On the bright side, that means that the Cam Plus Team did an AMAZING AMA answering a ton of questions fairly detailed to cause the summary to break the character limit! GREAT JOB @WyzeTeam and THANK YOU!

10 Likes

So we have learned that landscape mode in the app will NEVER happen?

Amazing effort @carverofchoice. You’re a machine. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I don’t claim to understand what is all involved in allowing landscape mode (particularly anything involving iOS, which I have never used at all), but I do know there are a lot of other apps and companies that seem to be able to do it without significant obstacles, so it is surprising to me that it would be so much harder for Wyze when others are able to do it. Also, wouldn’t portrait view also have to deal with the same issue of fragmented screen size and ratio?

1 Like

I had Cam Plus on many of My camera’s but only one was recording full length video I contacted WZYE several times & sent multiple logs & never got any result’s. 1 out of seven camera’s working was not good & WYZE could not explain this so I cancelled all Cam Plus except the one that was working. I was paying good money for a service that WYZE offered for over a year & Never got what I was Paying for. You would think if they offered a Paid for service they would make sure it works on all there camera’s or least explain why it was not working. I have been with WYZE since the V2 was introduced & bought almost everything they sell now I will not buy any & have quit recommending it to Family & Friends. I have over 21 WYZE Camera’s including V2, V3, Pan, WCO & no longer care to have Cam Plus since it will not record full length Video & has a Minimum of 1 minute cooldown when WYZE says You can set it to 0 which is not true. This has been My only & biggest complaint with WYZE. I’m not a newbie to wyze as I said I have bought almost everything wyze has designed DoorBell, Scale, Watch, HMS, Bud’s, Camera’s, Light’s, Plug’s both indoor & outdoor, V2 Cam Sense. Of all the item’s Cam Plus has been My biggest Complaint My only other complaint was with WYZE HMS I bought into early access with it & have not been able to find anywhere on WYZE to buy extra Contact Sensor’s or Motion Sensor’s it only offers them with HMS V2 so I decided to quit using HMS. Also a Person should not have to Buy a new system every Year to be able to add to a Security System. Why would WYZE design a System that would require You to Upgrade the entire System every Year I understand adding a More updated System but should offer Upgrades for a System You already bought that just needs upgrades such as more Sensors. I bought it to test on My 6 Bedroom 3 story House only to find I was unable to buy More Sensor’s to protect more window’s & door’s. I have 5 Entry Doors on My house the System only came with 2 Contact Sensor’s & 1 Motion Sensor not near enough for a 6 Bedroom House. I will not buy another Security System from Wyze just so I can get full coverage. I did notice Wyze offer’s more Sensor’s but that they only work for the V2 not for the V1 system which was on Early Backing.