Ended: Wyze Cam Plus Team Reddit AMA - 8/3/22 1:00 PM Pacific

Hi, everyone!

As part of our celebrations for Cam Plus turning two, we’re hosting an AMA with the Cam Plus team this Wednesday, August 3rd, at 1 PM Pacific! We’re excited to take your questions and hope to see you all there!

In the meantime, be sure to check out our weeklong Cam Plus offers here. You can also brush up on our recent AMA questions + answers by browsing our AMA Archive wiki page here :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’m open to illustrations of what the ‘birth’ of a digital service might have looked like (whence did it emerge, for instance…) :wink:

1 Like

AMA SUMMARY FOR: “We’re the Wyze Cam Plus Team, AMA! - 8/3/22”

Since one of the main parts of Cam Plus is AI, how is your team different from the AI Team, what other responsibilities do you have?

Steve McIrvin mentioned you “have specific products on the horizon that will address a lot of the value that RTSP can provide”…can you elaborate on any of this? Will the Cam Plus team have something to do with future RTSP-like updates?

Data Sharing Policies with Law Enforcement

Do you have any Video Playback Scrubbing improvements/updates coming up that you can tell us about?

When will we get the V3 firmware update for Cam Plus notifications like the V2’s have where we have separate notification toggles for Person, Pet, Vehicle, and Package instead of 1 toggle for all or none?

How can Wyze improve Cam Plus notifications? Currently, Wyze sends 1 notification per event and the only order of operations (detection hierarchy/priority) is based on the earliest frame with a detection. Therefore, if a car or pet triggers an event or is detected first, and then a few seconds later, a person arrives in the event and is detected later, we will only be notified about the first detection and not realize from the notification that there was also a person who came into the event. Yes, the event tags will be updated if we filter events later, but the notification can mislead us into thinking there was no human in the event. Is it possible to retroactively update/modify a push notification? Can you send a second notification if a person is later detected? This might be especially critical for Cam Plus Pro security.

In regards to the “Submit Feedback” button. How is feedback handled? Say I submit feedback of something AI detected as a person but is actually a pet. I make the corrections and submit. What happens? How is feedback incorporated? Is every single correction taken into account?

How secure is submitting feedback. My cameras cover nearly my whole property, I’m willingly giving that data up for AI improvements, is this access revoked once necessary improvements are implemented? Do humans see the submitted videos?

I’ve been submitting feedback like a mad man in order to help the AI the best I can. This means every single event caught on 22 cameras :hot_face:, what % of correction does each feedback give? For example, AI has a very tough time distinguishing chickens as a pet and instead thinks their people.

Both Steve McIrvin and the AI team indicated that 2K cameras are on your radar for future devices. How do you expect this might affect Cam Plus? Will there be more limitations on 2K? Will the resolution be lower? Will you raise prices to compensate since your profit margins are kept low? Will things stay the same?

Will friendly faces ever come to cam plus or on the doorbell?

Will friendly faces ever be expanded to allow more than 10 faces with Cam Plus Pro or Cam Plus in the future?

Is it possible for us to get a bi-weekly/monthly email "Progress Report "with working status of the level of progress with each of your products? I constantly see answers that say we are aware and working on such and such issue, or a fix is in beta but we never know what stage of progress the fix is in. I guess I’m just hoping for estimated time frames of the stages so we know what’s going on.

Will webview ever be available for non cam-plus users?

When will webview work on Firefox?

Will Cam Plus ever allow the Sound Detections (Crying detection, etc) to be used as triggers?

Will users with shared cams be gaining more access to other features in the future? When we share a cam with Cam Plus, the shared user gets some Cam Plus benefits, but not all of them.

What other new features or benefits do you have in mind for adding to Cam Plus in the future (besides Friendly Faces and the Smart Vision which you announced last year would be coming out eventually)?

What are the chances of getting an event Filter option that lists all events that qualified as notifications? (once we open the app with one notification, all the rest disappear)

Can you please fix the bug that shows my camera as offline, but is otherwise fully functional?

The AI team indicated they are working on some degree of local/edge AI features for the future. How will this impact your Cam Plus Team if more detections are done locally on the hardware in the future?

The AI team told us that now the AI compares the detections zone against the motion region and the AI will only tag the video if there is an overlap. What happens if half of a person is within the detection and half the person is in the blocked-out zone? (ex: feet on sidewalk, but the road behind it is blocked out, so the upper body of the person is blocked out) Will the AI consider things outside of the detection to detect a person that is partially in a detection zone and connected to something within the detection zone? Or is it strictly limited to viewing objects 100% in the detection zone boundaries (thus not seeing a head, arms, etc and thus not a person)?

Why is the alarm notification tied into the update and app notification? I have an alarm alarm sound for when my cam senses movement so I recognize it wherever I am. The problem is that when just the app updates or has a non-alarm message, since you cannot separate an app alert from an alarm alert, it always blares my alarm. This has happened in the middle of the night, it happens when I simply just open the app and therefore the notification pops up, Wyze app is running in the background. This seems like a no-brainer thing to separate. Also, any plans on maybe reducing the battery drain on location based services? My phone drops like 25% at least just from Wyze constantly checking the geofencing.

2 Likes

As a Biologist with a minor in Genetics, I would be much more interested in what the conception looks like. :thinking::rofl::flushed:

1 Like

1 Like

See above for the answers given to most of the following:

Questions I asked in this AMA

Questions I am thinking of asking:

Since one of the main parts of Cam Plus is AI, how is your team different from the AI Team, what other responsibilities do you have?

Does someone specifically review the submitted videos before giving them to the AI to make sure they are good examples to train with and are submitted with the proper tags to ensure the AI isn’t getting bad data? Or are event videos used the way they are submitted? Are all submissions used, or just selected ones?

How can Wyze improve Cam Plus notifications? Currently, Wyze sends 1 notification per event and the only order of operations (detection hierarchy/priority) is based on the earliest frame with a detection. Therefore, if a car or pet triggers an event or is detected first, and then a few seconds later, a person arrives in the event and is detected later, we will only be notified about the first detection and not realize from the notification that there was also a person who came into the event. Yes, the event tags will be updated if we filter events later, but the notification can mislead us into thinking there was no human in the event. Is it possible to retroactively update/modify a push notification? Can you send a second notification if a person is later detected? This might be especially critical for Cam Plus Pro security.

What are the chances of getting an event Filter option that lists all events that qualified as notifications? To explain why: One flaw with the notification system, is that as soon as we click on one of them to view it, all the others are automatically cleared, and we no longer know what other notifications there were or which events to look up. And the current filters are inadequate because we might want to know person on some cameras but not all, and pet on others but not all, etc, and so you have to manually make several configuration checks before you can get through all the events that would’ve been notifications but were cleared out when you viewed the first one in the list.

What other new features or benefits do you have in mind for adding to Cam Plus in the future (besides Friendly Faces and the Smart Vision which you announced last year would be coming out eventually) ?

When will we get the V3 firmware update for Cam Plus notifications like the V2’s have where we have separate notification toggles for Person, Pet, Vehicle, and Package instead of 1 toggle for all selected detections or none of them? Ex: I might want pets detected as well as people but only want notifications about the people (don’t need notifications about pets, but might want to search events for them later). V3s can’t do this like V2’s yet and we were told a firmware update for this was needed.

Do you have any Video Playback Scrubbing updates coming up that you can tell us about?

The AI team told us that now the AI compares the detections zone against the motion region and the AI will only tag the video if there is an overlap. What happens if half of a person is within the detection and half the person is in the blocked-out zone? (ex: feet on sidewalk, but the road behind it is blocked out, so the upper body of the person is blocked out) Will the AI consider things outside of the detection to detect a person that is partially in a detection zone and connected to something within the detection zone? Or is it strictly limited to viewing objects 100% in the detection zone boundaries (thus not seeing a head, arms, etc and thus not a person)?

Steve McIrvin mentioned you “have specific products on the horizon that will address a lot of the value that RTSP can provide”…can you elaborate on any of this? Will the Cam Plus team have something to do with future RTSP-like updates?

The AI team indicated they are working on some degree of local/edge AI features for the future. How will this impact your Cam Plus Team if more detections are done locally on the hardware in the future?

Both Steve McIrvin and the AI team indicated that 2K cameras are on your radar for future devices. How do you expect this might affect Cam Plus? Will there be more limitations on 2K? Will the resolution be lower? Will you raise prices to compensate since your profit margins are kept low? Will things stay the same?

Can you give us some statistics about Cam Plus? (Such as retention/churn rates, or any kind of numbers and averages, how often do people keep the trials and for how long, etc)

Will friendly faces ever be expanded to allow more than 10 faces?

With recent articles about other camera companies selling or freely giving facial recognition or video event data to law enforcement without user consent, will you please take the time to publicly state Wyze’s stance on the subject? Also, if Wyze received a court order (warrant or subpoena) for a user’s data, would you inform the user about it as long as you weren’t court-ordered not to?

Beans:
When will Friendly faces move to Cam Plus?

When will Cam Plus Pro be compatible with HMS?

When will Webview be free for everyone?

When will the new smart support tool be available to everyone instead of just Cam Plus users?

4 Likes

Not sure why, but watching this last night I thought of you:

It’s not 1-1, just a soft but satisfying association. :slight_smile:

For those of you who don’t use Reddit, if you scroll up to the 3rd comment (thread activity 4) above in this thread, I have copied a summary for the AMA up there for you to be able to read.

I still linked to the original answer with each post, but this time I didn’t take the time to list the name of the employee that answered in each quote this time around as

• I have been low on time,
  • when quoted for another thread it’s not including the names anyway,
  • a person can always go to the original link/source (click on the blue-green text) to see which employee gave the answer anyway.

Some really great info in this AMA!

3 Likes

Great job carver :clap:!

The ai team answered a lot of questions! But there were also a lot left unanswered. Next time. Looking forward to some of the changes they mentioned!

1 Like

The next time they have an AMA, you can go review what questions they left unanswered. I did that for this one to help give me ideas of more things to ask, and asked several that weren’t answered in previous events and they answered some of those this time. They just have limited time, so sometimes asking a question again later means they’ll get to it the next time. :slight_smile:

I love learning new info from them though.

2 Likes

Yea, there’s a lot of questions and only a few of them. Very interesting and useful info.

Do AI Team announce when a new iteration (benefiting from examples submitted by users) is released? Is it released every x weeks on x day?

1 Like

It’s monthly, but not necessarily a set day. Sometimes Jimmy had told us when it releases, but there isn’t generally an announcement.

1 Like

Thanks, Carver!

Mods:

Would this be approved as a Wishlist topic (requesting that it be announced on a regular basis?)

Or?   :slight_smile:

1 Like

I would vote for that to be added to announcements :slight_smile: Though:

[The wishlist] is where you can request features and products

Since it’s not adding a feature to the app, nor is it asking for a new physical product, this is probably more of something else to just suggest to @WyzeJasonJ directly to bring up with the AI team (ie: see if they’ll agree to inform him and see if the others agree to add AI updates to announcements similar to App and firmware updates. It makes sense in that context.

1 Like

I do know it is once a month on average, they do not always announce it but I can make a push for it.

3 Likes