V2 WPA3 support - Does anyone have it working?

Good day all:

Has anyone using a v2 been able to get their camera to connect to a WiFi network (SSID) that is using WPA3 security?

According to WYZE firmware release notes, WPA3 authentication was added back in July. I can’t get it to work and see others on Reddit reporting the same thing. Hopefully WYZE will get this working and add it to the v3 cams soon. I’m sick and tired of dealing with neighbors running their constant deauthentication attacks against my cameras!

The information below is from this page, then drill down to v2 firmware: https://support.wyze.com/hc/en-us/articles/360024852172-Release-Notes-Firmware

4.9.7.798 (July 21, 2021)

• Improved an issue that caused Cam Plus Events to skip or lose frames
  • Changed the MP4 audio format
  • Reduced the time for receiving push notifications
  • Improved sound detection sensitivity
  • Fixed a bug that caused a loud sound in Playback if sound was already enabled in the live stream
  • Added WPA3 WiFi network support
  • Improved camera stability
  • Security improvements

So not even a beta tester or anyone else is trying WPA3 with a v2 camera? Maybe the lack of replies is due to the fact that it is not working?

More than likely many are not using WPA3 yet. I know I am not. You may want to contact support to see what they know:

Customer Support

There are many ways to contact Wyze. Their phone number is (206) 339-9646, or you can chat with an agent or create a ticket on the support site.

They’re open for support between 4 am-8 pm PT Monday through Friday, and 8 am-4 pm PT Saturday.

Thanks, I called them and they asked me to submit an app log. Unfortunately an app log was not created during all of the testing I did this past weekend. I’m not about to go through all of that again and spend hours on the phone with WYZE proving it doesn’t work.

Why can’t they take some time to prove this out on there own? WYZE says they support it, but clearly they don’t. It is also clear they have no interest in testing it for themselves. That call did nothing but piss me off.

They are probably looking for why your router isn’t allowing the connection.

Maybe, but I have other devices that connect using WPA3 without an issue. The problem is not my WiFi access point.

It may be Wyze didn’t accommodate how it works, and needs the log to fix that.

I had some time to cool down a bit and worked with a different agent this evening to submit log: 352498

1 Like

Thanks for helping out

I connected my spare v2 to my WPA2 secured network and updated the firmware to the latest version 4.9.8.501, which was released today. I then deleted the cam from the app and changed the wifi security to WPA3 on my access point. I regret to report that the firmware that was released today still has the same issue. I submitted another app log 353611 to WYZE support under the same case: 1579407

Yes, this won’t be fixed overnight. They’ve only had your log for literally that amount of time. :wink:

Surely they tested it at least a bit? Maybe something specific about your router or config.

Hmm, why do so many people here come up with excuses for WYZE? Do you love the brand that much that you’re unwilling to hold them accountable for what they state is supported?

In any case, WYZE clearly stated in their July firmware release for the v2’s that WPA3 is supported. From what I can tell not a single person has it working. Certainly nobody that reads these forums. As previously mentioned, I am not the only one unable to get it to work. There are others on Reddit complaining about the same issue. Furthermore, I have other devices connecting to a WPA3 secured network without an issue. Thus why should I believe it has anything to do with my access point?

1 Like

Fair enough. I just am surprised they wouldn’t have tested it at all.

WPA3 not working here either, and as far as testing who does that?
Besides their customer based “BETA TESTERS” :rofl:

My bet is their Wyze staff Software / Firmware Coders is at best 3% of Staff, New product sourcing staff is 70% of Staff, Support Staff is 10% of Staff and the Management ( Best Salaries ) is 17% of Wyze Staff.

There needs to be more Coders, In-House Testers and Well trained support staff than Chinese product locators / New Wyze JUNK product promoters,

This is just my opinion and I may be wrong but it is how it seems to me.

1 Like
1 Like

I believe this article does a nice job explaining the differences between WPA2 and WPA3. I figured I would share here: WPA2 vs WPA3 - Difference and Comparison | Diffen

3 Likes

Interesting, thanks. Doesn’t this imply that Wyzecams and routers released after 2018 should be safe for your purposes using only WPA2?

:slight_smile: One would think, but unfortunately no. WYZE devices do not support PMF. Ask anyone that owns a CISCO or Meraki access point that has enabled PMF. The WYZE devices on that wireless network will no longer connect.

At this point (3 years after WPA3 was introduced), vendors may as well implement WPA3 instead of enhancing their WPA2 security with 802.11w. Yes, 802.11w is PMF.

I have been working to discover who is sending deauthentication packets to a couple of my cameras. I’m getting closer and closer with each passing weekend. I can’t say that I’m looking forward to the confrontation with neighbors, but if I want it to stop I have no choice. I guess I could wait for WYZE to implement WPA3 in all of their IoT devices, but we’ve already been waiting 3-years!

2 Likes

12/21/2021 - Nearly six months since WYZE stated WPA3 works with v2 cameras. I installed the official release of firmware that came out yesterday. Unfortunately, WPA3 still does not function.

1 Like