Service Advisory - 1/17/2024

I had an issue with a v2 coming back as well. It said “On” in the app, but would throw an error if I live streamed. I simply hit the “On” button to turn if “Off”, waited a minute, then turned it “On” again. The camera has worked like a charm ever since.

2 Likes

Interestingly, this worked for all but two cameras. It didn’t work with my last V2 aimed at my front porch. Chained to its back USB port, I have a V3 connected aimed at my driveway. Neither the V3 or the V2 work. I’ve tried restarting them, unplugging them, shuffling them around into new camera groups in the app, and even tried the web live view. They are dead.

1 Like

That is a real bummer. Have you tried unplugging the v3 from the back of the v2 and then unplug the wall wort for the v2 for a good 20-30 seconds? Maybe once that v2 is working properly plug the v3 into it again? Just an idea…not sure if it will work.

Also, I believe the power requirements for a v3 are greater than a v2. Is daisy chaining a v3 off of a v2 officially supported? Granted it was working before all of this latest fiasco…

Best of luck!

1 Like

Same here. I was having the issue a day or two after this notice came out. The only thing that fixed my camera was unplugging it, waiting a minute or two, and plugging it back in. No issues since.

2 Likes

Hahahahahaha.

Firmware update screwed up the connections on app.
Every now and then I can Live Stream, but to and far between!
WYZE has to do something ASAP!

I have the V2 that rotates that appears to have been affected by the January update. It has been offline since the update. I am 1,600 miles from it. There was a power failure for several hours, it did not reset.

Any suggestions?

All these people saying it was a firmware issue is hilarious. I didn’t update my firmware, but I did reboot my cameras and I had the issue. The issue was clearly tied to a reboot, and just had the bad timing of a firmware being released right about the same time.

Correlation does not equal causation, folks. :joy:

1 Like

Since I haven’t been near it for at least a month, what would have caused it to reboot? I did not get notified that there was a power failure.

1 Like

My camera v3 pro didn’t come back completely, it works for a few minutes or hours and stays offline until restarted, then the symptoms start again

1 Like

So if nothing changed, how did rebooting cause all of these problems, all at once?
Were there other, corresponding changes in Wyze systems that interact with the firmware?
Denial doesn’t trump logic, folks.

2 Likes

Rebooting was the issue. Something on the server side caused the camera to not reconnect after a reboot.

Firmware upgrades can cause a reboot. Power outages can cause a reboot. I power cycled my cameras manually. But those things didn’t cause the issue.

To say the issue was the firmware when people who didn’t update had the issue as well… is illogical.

4 Likes

Just for further info our firmware updates ALWAYS cause a reboot on the cameras.

5 Likes

So what’s the solution?
Are you guys working on this?
Or just stringing us along……

1 Like

The issue that was happening when the cam rebooted has been resolved. Most cams came back on their own, if it did not then you will need to power cycle the camera. If you are sometimes able to live stream and sometimes not I would contact support as you are experiencing a different issue.

4 Likes

None of my cameras have come back even after a factory reset. The only solution I get from Support is to reboot. I don’t know how many times I can repeat myself and say that rebooting does absolutely nothing. If Wyze had EOL’d V1 cameras prior to this happening, I would have to agree that I’m out of luck. However, I am told by Support that V1 cameras are not EOL. So when are paying customers actually going to get a fix for this issue? The Support page hasn’t been updated in 6 days which leads me to believe no one is working on this issue anymore or have no clue what the problem is. Either way, I expect Wyze to respect its customer base and be transparent about what is going on.

2 Likes

Also, keep in mind there is a difference between EOL and out-of-warranty due to using a device beyond it’s rated time. Electronics do wear out over time. I have had phones get corrupted or stop working, even from things as simple as a security update/patch but the phone manufacturer and phone company won’t replace it if I had it beyond the warranty timeframe (which can vary from 90 days to 2 years depending on the company), even if the phone is not EOL. Same with computers. I have had Windows updates brick my computers and require me to reinstall Windows from scratch. This is the case with almost any electronic, particularly those that have firmware/software associated with them. Not being EOL does not mean they haven’t worn out past their warranty guarantee.

But for what it’s worth, I have a Cam Pan V1 that updated fine, so I know this model device is capable of working with this firmware.

If all the other standard troubleshooting with support has not worked, then I think you will need to get a 32GB SD card like I mentioned to you earlier and was moved to this thread:

Here are the instructions again so you can attempt the fix:

If resetting to factory settings and then subsequently going through setup again isn’t working for you, then it probably means you have a corrupted firmware installation and need to flash the firmware to correct it. This is similar to when a computer gets an OS or BIOS Firmware update and gets seemingly “bricked” from the firmware/software update. It sometimes happens with electronics, especially well-used ones. In those cases a person needs to do the same thing…flash the firmware or reinstall the software, often by booting to a flash drive. Flashing the firmware with an SD card is the same thing. It is usually a last resort, but since you’ve gone through everything else with support, it sounds like it is likely the only thing that will work for recovering your device at this point. I don’t think it can be fixed Over the air or with the server. If your firmware didn’t install properly on yours like it did on mine, it means it’s probably corrupted and needs to be flashed. If that is the case, then nobody can do that remotely. If you don’t have an SD card, maybe you know someone who will temporarily lend one to you? If not, you can get them pretty cheap.

However, if your warranty is long expired due to long use of the device, I am guessing those are the only options left at this point:

1. Flash the firmware back to functionality.
  2. Leave it non-functional.

I don’t think there is anything anyone can do remotely now if you’ve otherwise done everything support would walk through.

1 Like

Hilarious…
you guys need to fix the issues that caused the problem.
Firmware updates caused the restart, had nothing to do with anything else.

1 Like

Yes, the firmware caused a reboot, as all firmware updates do. However, the firmware update didn’t cause the issue being reported in this service advisory.

There was a server issue that caused any camera that disconnected to not be able to reconnect. Many people had this issue without updating anything if they rebooted their cameras manually or had a power loss or internet connection loss (my home internet went out and I had the issue with not being able to reconnect once my internet connection was restored).

The firmware update was just a coincidence and unluckily the server issue happened right around the same time the firmware update went live.

1 Like

I would’ve never restarted anything! But the Firmware caused the restart. Not me.
They caused the problem and need to fix the problem.

Thanks for your input

1 Like