Firmware Update to Allow Viewing Bricked Sensors (Like Home Assistant)

HA, Home Assistant, can see contact sensors which dont pair with Wyze bridge [due to the low battery brown out product defect], HA can receive open/close alerts from these contact sensors, the limitation HA has is that it cant display the sensor name, as the MAC address is not available, and that obviously you have to add a continuously running laptop/tablet to your Wyze system to run HA .

If HA, a third party application, can communicate with ‘bricked sensors’, why cant Wyze issue a firmware update to the Wyze Bridge do the same? To accommodate RTSP users, it had made an ad hoc firmware release, why not in this case?

topic in more detail

a lot of wyze customers have invested a lot of time & even modified their house fittings to integrate Wyze sense V1, a firmware release would allow them to continue using their existing , already installed sensors. thanks

I voted for this. Of course one hesitation Wyze might have would be the limited use case. People also use the sensors for specific discrete purposes (mailbox opening, front vs. back door notice, etc.) and this move might not really help them (unless they only use one). But for those already using them for general perimeter security this would help a lot.

I also voted for this. I am very supportive.

Sadly though, realistically I think Wyze will simply tell people to upgrade to their V2 sensors instead and they aren’t going to spend anymore support efforts on something that is now discontinued and deprecated. Though I would love for them to implement this. I have a lot of V1’s still.

I am tempted to move all by V1 sensors to Home Assistant once my V2’s come in.

1 Like

It will be great if Wyze is willing to do that.

the limitation is acknowledged, a set of bricked sensors could now be used like a perimeter alarm, which till 2 or 3 years ago was the standard way of alarming a house, there was no different sounds depending on which door was opened.

the alternative is all these contact sensors ending up in the garbage, and for who has modded their doors & windows to conceal these neatly, a lot of re work and redriilling to get the Wyze V2 sensors to fit.

2 Likes

that would work, but you need to add a computer which is continually running to your home setup to host HA.

If Wyze gave us the firmware release, we could make use of computers we already have running, that inside the Wyze cam is running Linux.

Yeah. I have computers running 24/7 already and got HA up and running already. the main reason for moving all the sensors over to HA is so that they will all work locally, without the dependence on internet–something very unreliable in my area–and so things will basically always work reliably and not be subject to so many points of failure (ISP–both in and out–, modem memory leaks, or router memory leaks shutting off modem communication but still working locally, Wyze server problems, Amazon cloud issues and “upgrades” shutting things down, etc). Wyze’s requirement to run everything through the cloud causes major issues repeatedly. Moving everything to local use will make things many fold better, and still allow remote access and such when wanted/needed.

None of that changes the fact that Wyze should fix this issue themselves…I just don’t think they will now that they appear to have abandoned it in favor of their V2 system.

2 Likes

another sensor integrated into a pet door,

wyzehackmod55a8521f8e1c84bf2479983208b58926c3c0012a_2_375x500

My Contact Sensors were since bricked after replacing the batteries. I didn’t buy a new ones and I decided to live on my life with disappointment.

I voted for the firmware update to unbrick my Contact Sensors.

1 Like

thanks for your support, I just checked the product specs again , this was clearly marketed as a product with a replaceable battery, not as a disposable single use product ( like a deodorant can).

1 Like

Customers that bought misrepresented, defective, and unsupported v1 sensors should receive equivalent discounts on the purchase of v2 sensors, at a minimum.

3 Likes

I would go further and suggest V2 replacements free of charge for ALL V1 sensors, if Wyze can’t fix the problem.

5 Likes

Strongly agree, I have more than 20 sensors and is a pain to track the battery life, specially because you cannot group the sensors, otherwise you do not see the battery condition.

1 Like

Gotta tell you, I have an unopened starter kit and am at this point fairly terrified of even opening it, since it may/will all fall apart before very long.

While I’m a big fan of Wyze this whole sensor issue (and apparent lack of resolution) is really a letdown. We all bought what were marketed as having replaceable batteries and lifespans of longer than ~12 months. Obviously something didn’t go as planned and we ended up with a good majority of them being one-time-use, which is NOT what we paid for.

Wyze should either replace v1’s for those who bought them, or at the very least give us some technical details on the boards so we can come up with a way to fix them ourselves. Their quietness on the subject has put me on the fence about them… Don’t know if I want to buy into more possible situations like this.

3 Likes

These are my dead ones.

1 Like

That’s a good idea to mark them like that. I have 1 dead one, but didn’t want to throw it away in case I could get it to work eventually when I switch all the old ones to Home Assistant. I think I’ll go mark mine.

Thanks Vankfire for the photo, it just about sums up our experience with the product now that many have reached the change battery stage.

Incidentally, had another sensor lose battery power just today (well, just today that I noticed it anyway). But when I replaced the battery it was working fine again. I’m really not sure why some people have all theirs completely die if battery goes out, and others rarely lose any sensors when battery goes dead. I can’t think of why there is inconsistency. Maybe there was a difference in production groups somehow?

depends on the voltage that particular battery reached. If the battery was low after a few months of usage , and it got triggered a few times in succession, it could drop momentarily to the 1.78V level. And then later after lack of usage, appear to have a voltage above 2 volts if measured.

this is what the Texas Instruments advisory wrote for the chip used:

2 Likes