Wyze New video v2 doorbell vs Wyze doorbell pro

Does anyone have first hand knowledge of;

Wyze New video v2 doorbell released 10\24\23 vs Wyze doorbell pro

I currently have the Wyze doorbell pro and am wondering if New video v2 doorbell would be an upgrade for me. I like that it has onboard storage and 2K resolution, but wondering about other peoples comments on this. What would be the downside of switching to v2 from Doorbell pro, if any

Here’s what I told someone else:

4 Likes

@carverofchoice
Thank you very much for your excellent comparison of the models. I bought my Wyze doorbell Pro before the V2 came out or I may have gone that way. Your comparison makes me wonder if I should spend a little extra money and upgrade to the V2.
If I go to the V2, will I be able to use the chime that came with the doorbell pro rather than tapping into the house chime which is currently disabled?

1 Like

No. That doorbell pro chime is more of a range extender and is what the doorbell pro connects to the internet work, as opposed to the V1 doorbell that uses the chime it comes with as an accessory to the camera. Neither of those chimes will work with the V2 doorbell pro though.

I actually have all three doorbells, but i prefer the V1 doorbell due to the small form factor, the white color blends in with my door trim, and the vertical aspect ratio so that i can see below the camera better. I love the SD card addition to the V2, but doesn’t put it ahead of the V1. I have a second camera that watches the porch so that i do have some continuous recording in the area.

2 Likes

I had issues with my Doorbell V1… the microphone was always clicking. It worked fine otherwise.

But otherwise, I think @carverofchoice pretty much summed up the comparison pretty well.

The mechanical chime issue on the V2 will confuse some people (you have to have the right transformer for the doorbell to push enough power to make your in-house doorbell ring, all mainstream doorbells require this) but other than that, I think the V2 edges out the Pro due to continuous recording. But that’s my preference. If you wanted a “put anywhere” Doorbell… than the Pro doorbell definitely wins. Good battery life on it too.

And you really can’t beat the price…

@tlhutch4 - Not that you brought this up but, the Ring Video Doorbell Pro 2 is $250… the wedge kit (Wyze provides one free) is $20… and you still have to get a subscription to Ring Protect to fully utilize the doorbell (which everyone complains about with Wyze).

And as far as I can tell with most reviews. Ring doesn’t really “win the day” with their features. It’s almost toe-to-toe. But, if your doorbell costs $250 vs. a $50 doorbell, shouldn’t that MUCH more expensive doorbell do magical things, instead of just some extra gimmicky things? 500% increase in-price, think about that one.

It better come with a butler to answer the door when it rings!

Bottomline… the Pro or the V2 is a winner. You can’t go wrong with either. Just compare the features and see which ones matters most to you.

3 Likes

All responders,
Thanks for all you’re valuable input on my original post. For now I am going to stay with the Doorbell Pro. However, I may get the V2 just to compare myself…Thanks again

Good idea… they’re inexpensive enough to be able to compare for yourself and your needs. That’s what I did for my front gate, along with adding an extra camera to record what the v1 doesn’t record (length of time and number of days).

1 Like

Yeah, the nice thing about Wyze video doorbells is they still work as normal cameras. You can even plug them in with a USB cord (note that this voids the warranty). I actually take one of mine traveling with me sometimes. I will connect it up to my Laptop hotspot which is running a VPN and connected to the hotel or AirBNB WiFi or whatever and have it watch my room or possessions while I’m away to let me know if anyone enters. You can also wire one up anywhere like your backyard or next to your garage using a plugin Transformer like this:

I have a bunch of doorbells because they double as a security camera along with having the ability for someone to “call me” if needed. That makes them really great devices.

3 Likes

@carverofchoice
Thanks for your response. I’ve gotten excellent feedback on this forum as always…tlhutch4

1 Like

I’m annoyed at Wyze for basically lying to me why they didn’t put SD card support on the pro. “For security” is BS considering they added it for the v2. The real reason is they’re trying to push subscriptions.

It’s been a while since the pro launched, but I don’t recall seeing them say this. Do you have a source I can view where they said this?

While I don’t work for, speak for or represent Wyze, I suspect that the main reason it wasn’t included in the pro at the time is because 1) this was one of their first times using Gwell as a new supplier and they didn’t want to delay the launch of this. It made more sense to them to at least get a battery powered version out there and then they could work on adding the extra stuff like mSD card which may take some extra time… 2) they were trying to conserve battery battery power since it is designed primarily as a battery cam 3) it wasn’t as necessary to have an SD card if they were still providing free short events. Now that they are no longer doing that, an SD card is suddenly a lot more critical for non-subscribers.

I am happy to see that they finally got an SD card in a video doorbell, and hopeful that this means all future VDBs will include SD cards.

I have used both in the alst few days. The options are frsutratingly limited.

I have three (3) Wyze deadbolt fingerptint locks, and previously has a Ring hardwired doorbell and two Ring battery cameras.

I had read (or I suppose mistakenly assumed) from what I read on Wyze site that if I bought the Doorbell Pro I could control my bluetooth WYZE locks remotely (i.e., over wifi.) ALthought all my camersa and locks are black, the Doorbell Pro only comes in white. But I bought it anyway for the added functionlity, along with two black WYZE spotlight cameras.

Turns out the VIdoe DOorbell Pro will wloow you to unlcok the front door bolt, but that’s it. No re-programming or other features. Which kind of sucks.

SInce I did not get the functionality In ahd hoped for, I bought the Doorbell V2, since it comes in black.

The VIdeo Doorbell v2 will ONLY communicate iwth you existing conventional house chime. It will NOT uses the WYZE chime, AT ALL. Since I ahve existing doorbell wiring but no existing chime, this would not work for me. So I reintalled the DOorbell Pro.

I will patiently wait for WYZE to add wifi capability to the touchpad deadbolts. Seems silly to me that it’s an option on the WYZE lock but not on the WYZE bolt. I could replace my WYZE bolts with WYZE locks, but to get simialr fuction I have to add a separate stand-along keypad, which only comes in white.

The whole situation is just stupid. Offer all your products in both colors, and offer all your products with wifi remote functionality. Why would you not offer wifi on your highest-feature WYZE lock? Ughhhhh.

Thanks, I have 2 questions (just curious).

Q1. Why would you want your front doorbell to unlock any WYZE bolt other than the front door? I do understand that you have 3 of these locks.

Q2. I have v1 doorbell by WYZE which I want to replace with v2. Based on your comments, I now understand that the chime for v1 will not work with v2. Is that correct??

This is correct:

1 Like

Reading this thread and seeing the release dates of both products, I think it’s fair to say an updated version (whether called Pro v3 or regular v3) that incorporates the best of both worlds would be well received sometime soon. Ideally using existing mounts/faceplates so that existing users could just swap out for an upgraded model.

1 Like

Yeah, it’d be cool if they shared that, like how similar a lot of their various camera bases are. Good thought.

1 Like

You DO NOT want the Pro, MANY threads in here about them loosing connection. It’s not a WIFI issue, its an issue with chime connecting to doorbell, Ours is 10 feet away from each other and I had to put a light timer on the chime so it turns it off and back on every 2 hours, it works pretty well like that BUT it speaks “Bluetooth disconnected” and then “connection restored” each time LOUDLY because its the same volume for the chime. The timer does not cycles it overnight as I don’t want the voice, so it goes dead after the 2 hours and I have no doorbell cam at night while I’m sleeping. The doorbell battery needs to be recharged pretty reliably once a month. WYZE is NO HELP in the situation either, Do your homework. Ours worked PERFECT up until the first firmware upgrade, I honestly think it was planned to kill them once out of warranty. We have other WYZE stuff with similar story BUT the little cube cameras, I have nothing but good to say about them, so with WYZE just stick with the cube cams and shop other brands for other items.

Our cure was to get a simple wireless doorbell from Home Depot and we use a cube cam to see who is at the door. WORKS PERFECT!

That’s interesting, I have multiple of the pros and friends and family with them too and in almost 3 years now none of the VDBPros have ever had a connection issue and I’ve never restarted the chimes. I use them every day because my front door is a high traffic location. And they’ve never even missed a detection even though they’re running on battery.

I wonder what the difference is for those having connection problems. I didn’t realize there were a lot of people experiencing this. If this is a really common issue, it sounds like something we should report to the next Fix-It Friday event to make Wyze aware and make sure we get some reports on the progress.

If anyone else is actively experiencing this issue right right now, will you say so and maybe submit a log for it and post that number in here so we can potentially pass that on to a Dev to look into? It would be good to know how widespread the issue is. It’s not currently on their list of known issues. I’m wondering if it’s mostly isolated cases of a bad chime or something. :thinking: it would be good to find out though.

I’ve consistently lost connection for some time(years)

now. I’ve seen variations of the 20004 code etc.
My chime is less than 2 feet away from my doorbell.
I’ve had the pro since 2022.
Here is my log code 1559505
Thanks in advance

Now how far away from the wifi source is your chime? How’s that connection?

Have you contacted Support now? Forum Maven’s and Mods are not Wyze employees. The next step once submitting an app log is for you to contact Support and give then a run down of your issue. Then either they can help you. Or forward your info onto the engineers for investigation.

1 Like