Leak detected and siren woke the dead!

Wow! This setup just saved me a lot of money! My NEW water heater just sprung a leak and my Wyze Leak Sensor Probe detected the issue preventing a flooded basement. thumbsup The water heater sits inside a water pan with a overflow tube running to a floor drain. But the water pan has a leak too! :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: Fortunately, I had a Leak Sensor Probe clipped inside the water pan so it caught the pending disaster early. THANK YOU WYZE! thankssign

I have a siren, wired to a 12V adapter, plugged into a Wyze Plug. I created Rules where my Leak sensors trigger a Wyze Plug activating the siren and it worked! The siren scared the bejusus out of me it was so LOUD! yikes

15 Likes

Nice when it all works!
Leaking water can do lots of damage, so good that you got the early warning.

6 Likes

For sure! I just had the damage repaired from the previous water heater. Bad luck on this replacement. :face_with_diagonal_mouth: Warranty claim time. :grin:

3 Likes

I use a different ecosystem for my leak detectors (Hubitat Elevation runs my home)

A siren is a must have.

Had a line to the water softener break and dump about a gallon of water in the unfinished part of the basement. The supply valve turned off as programmed. The leak happened about an hour after we went to bed so the puddle was able to migrate to the finished part of the basement. It was 4-5 hours before we noticed there was no water pressure. If we had a siren then, I could have mopped up the water quickly.

4 Likes

A loud siren is definitely a must have. thumbsup2 I receive so many Wyze notifications, I never would have noticed the leak notification from the Wyze app. My siren setup to Leak Detectors worked so well, I’m going to add some more sensors to my list. I currently have 9 sensors, some doing double-duty with Leak Sensor Probes.

I try to test all sensors every 6 months. Looks like I’m overdue!

5 Likes

Oh wow! I just set up mine. (Everything in this picture cost me $25 US, Wyze Plug not included).

@WyzeTeam can you add Home Monitoring Hub as a Trigger? I noticed you can use sensors etc…

4 Likes

Same setup as mine. :+1: I wired the siren to terminal #2 for a more “eye-opening” experience. :rofl:

In addition to HMS alarm and chime (tone) output for rules, Wyze needs to get moving on allowing us to use a sensor group for trigger in rules.

4 Likes

My leak detectors recently saved me from a leaking toilet. I set one on the floor behind it, and one of the tank screw seals started dripping. My siren is a V3 in the hallway up at the clerestory windows, so I can hear it from anywhere in the house. I even have it set to go off a second time if the leak isn’t addressed. Worked great!

I also have 9 sensors:

Yes they do! Would have saved me from making 18 different rules. Could have done it in 2 (leak detected; leak not addressed yet).

4 Likes

Wow . Shoutout to Wyze

I also have a water heater in my basement that I have not done any maintenance to in a while… this will be a good case for getting the leak sensor.

I’ll have to check it out , thanks for posting :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Great idea! I added some cam sirens for each of 3 floors to the mix just in case the plug, siren or 12V adapter fails. Pain in the butt having to modify all the rules. Need device group triggers to consolidate rules! :grin:

4 Likes

The siren I use is made by Aeon Labs. We had a water leak when I was at work and my wife was working from home. Hubitat is locked so not much can be done remotely to reset the alarm. It is designed that way. My wife corrected the leak, but I couldn’t stop the siren remotely. Told her to unplug it. Nope…has an internal battery. And it is LOUD. Finally had her wrap it in a bath towel and put it in her car outside. Eventually the battery ran out. :grimacing:

1 Like

Why would they purpose design something to not be able to manage it remotely?

If anything I would think the opposite would be preferred so that a burglar or something couldn’t disable it locally. I would think that they should design it so the owner can disable or change the state no matter where they are, local, remote, etc.

1 Like

I almost bought a non-smart, non-IOT siren with internal battery backup and realized I wouldn’t be able to shut it off! :rofl:

They are mainly controlled via alarm panel hardwire signals. And Z-Wave protocol.

1 Like

6 Likes

:rofl:

2 Likes

Oh, remote access is available for a price. Unlike SmartThings, and Wyze products, Hubitat Elevation does not require a cloud to work. I can cut the cable going to my house and still control everything. When you want to get into scheduling, change stuff, is what is locked down.

I was able to open the water valve, but resetting the Hubitat Safety Monitor remotely isn’t possible unless I pay their monthly fee.

I don’t like putting all my eggs in one basket, hence the different ecosystems.

3 Likes

I recently bought a Hubitat earlier this year to connect up all the contact and temperature sensors that the previous owner left here. I haven’t done much with it yet other than activating all the sensors on the Hubitat. :slight_smile: (they were using Xfinity, but there was no way I was going to use Xfinity, especially when I found out those sensors can be activated on a Hubitat instead)

I understand the whole having backup ecosystems. Wyze is my primary, but I do have this Hubitat setup for backup sensors on all the entryways, and I have a couple of eufy cams as backup cameras in a couple of critical areas too (ie: for when there is an outage or some other glitch). So I definitely understand that.

I was considering linking the unofficial Wyze API to Hubitat so I can use those rules, etc, though I haven’t done so yet.

I also have Alexa and Google interconnect several things.

I am looking forward to Matter interconnecting everything better too…I hope… :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

My leak sensors also set off the Sirens on all capable Cams.

5 Likes

Ooo… Interesting idea! No reason to limit it to one cam! :slight_smile:

1 Like