Fix-It Friday - 2/18/22

Instructions / Knowledge Base - Video Doorbell Pro Install (Chime Box)
This is an issue I have helped a number of new forum members with recently
I believe the instructions on how to install the Jump Wire for the video doorbell pro are confusing consumers.

The instructions state to disconnect the wires in the chime box and connect them with the jump wire. Sub Directions show how to use a wire cap. But not how the connection should look when finished.

The Jump Wire is a pronged wire that affixes to the Chime box and requires no wire capping. The chime box screws are loosened and the Jumper Wire with prongs slide on the terminals with the existing wiring and then tightened for completion.
Should look like this

This is an example of one misunderstanding of the instructions

5 Likes

Ok, so I had to edit it down a bit because of the limited space for typing but, I just submitted it and here is a screenshot of the log into.

2 Likes

I don’t remember it ever not working like this:

Tap on Notification, app starts, displays Event, tap Playback, ‘No SD Card’, back-out to Event List, find/scroll-to Event just viewed and tap it, tap Playback while Event is playing, corresponding Event on SD card plays.

Also…

Tap on Notification, app starts, displays Event…

You cannot swipe to next or prior Event; you must…

back-out to Event List, find/scroll-to Event desired and tap it…

then swiping fwd and back from the displayed Event works.

If it’s always “worked” like this then, why is there a playback option at all directly from the event? Why does it say there is no (working) micro SD card when, obviously there is one as I can view the playback if I manually search for it. It makes absolutely no sense for it to “work” that way and notify there is no card that actually IS there.

So it may have s always been like this but, it’s definitely not “working” like this when it improperly states there no SD card as the reason for non playback.

1 Like

Hi @Chaduma , I should have said ‘worked’, that’s what I meant. It’s not working correctly and I don’t know if it ever has… :slight_smile:

Touché!

Thank you, everyone! I’m taking this list to the team for review! You did great and I personally love you all for putting titles and stuff in so I could do easy summaries. :heart:

4 Likes

Persistent "Error (code 09) Video Player Error Only with video doorbell

I have opened multiple tkts for this pesky error. If you try to play a video using the “events” tab of the app it reports this error, if you try to play the video directly from the device screen it just “spins the wheel” and is black. Below is what we know:

In troubleshooting this issue we have proven that it is not the hardware by downloading the video file and playing it on the phone with a different video player, the issue appears to be with the Wyze app on my Moto G Power 2021 running Android 11.

• Live video on the doorbell works fine
  • Events are recorded fine
  • The event can be downloaded to the phone and played outside of the Wyze App (google photos)
  • The event fails to play (Black screen) or reports Video playback error 9 depending if you try by selecting the doorbell device from the home screen or selecting an event.
  • The issue is observed on Moto G Power 2021 running Android 11

I have submitted a log file ( 438579)

There is a forum post I started way back about this as well

4 Likes

You just barely missed the cutoff for Fix-It Friday posts but I’ll get this report over to the team. Thanks for all the details!

3 Likes

Sorry about missing the deadline but greatly appreciate getting it escalated anyway!

2 Likes

No worries! You wouldn’t have had enough time to accumulate votes but you DID successfully catch my attention so I think this was a win. :grin:

1 Like

And just for reference here is my forum post from July indicating that it was being worked on and is something in the video player…

2 Likes

Hi @R.Good thank you for your feedback. What’s your app version? We’ll look into this issue.

5 Likes

removed, responded to different issue

1 Like

Thank You @QiS

Wyze App Version - 2.28.0 (a11)
iOS 15.3.1 (on iPhone 12 Pro Max)

Initial report

Follow Up

2 Likes

Got it. thank you.

3 Likes

Alright, everyone!

Thanks for your patience while we chased down various team members for info! Here are our top issues (plus a bonus) for this week! :heart:

1. Wyze Sense Hub Siren Volume Lower Than Desired

Response:

The low volume is due to a hardware limitation. We’ve heard your feedback and are working on supporting Wyze Home Monitoring audio on Wyze Chime. This will allow you to decentralize the audio and have it in the rooms that you care about. We’ll share information about it when it’s ready!

2. "Wyze AI Events” and “All Other Motion Events” Sometimes Grayed Out

Response:

This is a bug! And we’re looking into it. Please send in logs if you reproduce this bug. Logs can be sent through Account > Wyze Support > Submit a Log. Please be detailed in the description and post the log numbers where we can get them! :slight_smile:

3. Users Cannot Use the Scroller to Select Temperatures for Wyze Sense Climate Sensor Rules

Response:

You may have noticed WyzeQi working on this before we started the summary here! We’re investigating it now. :smiley:

EDIT 2/22/22: We have a fix ready for testing! :tada:

BONUS: Wyze Web View Not Compatible with Cam Plus Pro

Response:

We’re aware of this issue and we’re working on it! We’ve identified the root cause and are building a fix. :slight_smile:

Next Steps:

This is the end of the first cycle of Fix-It Friday! We’re talking internally about what worked and what could use improvement. We may make some changes to how the program works based on your feedback and how things went from our end.

We’ll continue to provide updates on the outcomes of Fix-It Friday. We’re always working hard to find and fix issues every day! The feedback from our engineers, testers, and members like YOU make such a difference in this venture. We hope these Fix-It Fridays will help shine light on the bugs you have top of mind and prioritize them for our teams. Look out for more from us soon!

In the meantime, don’t forget to use our Wishlist for feature requests (@peepeep :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: )!

And if you need help with a misbehaving Wyze product, please don’t hesitate to reach out to Wyze Customer Support.

Have an excellent week, everyone! Thanks for putting together these amazing reports. I felt so proud of our community as I read through these! :tada:

7 Likes

Gwendolyn, thank you for addressing the issue of the low volume on the HMS Hub.

I do not see Chimes being an acceptable solution. I have a chime for my doorbell and it is about as loud as the hub.

You stated that this issue is being caused by a hardware limitation. When I first installed the HMS hub the contact sensor chimes, the voice response, and the siren were very loud. I could hear it from anywhere in the house. It was a firmware update that changed this. I still have the same hardware I installed that previously performed at a much higher volume. As such, it is not the hardware that is limited as it performed out of the box perfectly. It is the firmware that is now limiting the hardware. Or, more accurately, the installed firmware cannot support the capabilities of the hardware.

Also, unless the chimes are going to provide an intruder deterrent level siren alarm, the solution is moot. This is a home alarm system, not a smart speaker.

Lastly, since this issue reflects a change in the original product caused by a firmware update after it was shipped, installed, and operated successfully, I would expect Wyze to provide any additional hardware solution at no cost to existing customers. I purchased a functional HMS Hub. The firmware update changed that.

3 Likes

Clearly stated.

1 Like

What this person said. Worked fine when I got it, stopped working. Needs to work again without me having to invest more money. At the moment the alarm system is not fit for purpose. Shouldn’t really be sold until it is.

2 Likes