All of my V3 CAM PLUS cameras have stuttering event playback when not recording sound

Yeah, it is frustrating when an issue is inconsistent and hard to recreate. In this case, I also can’t recreate it :frowning: I have a V3 cam with sound set to off, and several others with different configurations and none of mine are are stuttering or freezing playback or cloud events. But as time went on, there are now enough people reporting the same thing that Wyze can actually get multiple logs to figure out all the commonalities finally.

Speaking of which, when you see the issue again, will you also submit a new log for it now that we finally got this issue approved as a priority high-impact issue in Fix-it-Friday? It will be great to finally get this resolved for you!

2 Likes

Yes - I’ve been dealing with this for a year too. I’ve called tech support four or five times. How disappointing. I would bet none of the people I spoke with knew much about networking. I guess if it wasn’t in the script, you’re out of luck.

1 Like

I like how support will “escalate” to a WYZE wizard who says something like “Thank you for providing logs and your extensive troubleshooting of the issue. Our engineering teams are looking into the problem now. Unfortunately, we are unable to offer an estimated time for repair, but know your issue is important to us.” They then close the ticket and move on. Literally years go by and the given problem persists.

I do not expect this issue to be resolved any time soon. The thing is, we could likely start a class action on this particular issue. We are paying for CAM PLUS and for many of us, enabling audio/sound recording on our cameras would cause us to break federal and or state laws.

Source: Audio Surveillance Laws by State:Everything You Need to Know

Is It Legal to Record Audio on Security Cameras?

In most cases, it is not legal to record audio on security cameras unless all parties are aware that you may be recording audio.

Businesses are required to tell you that they may be recording using video surveillance, and the same applies to audio surveillance.

Most businesses choose to not record audio even if their systems have the capability, because the laws and the actual safety improvements are unclear.

1 Like

@WyzeJasonJ

As discussed in the Fix It Friday thread, I will do my best to provide you with three logs a day. I hope that others desiring a fix will join me in flooding WYZE with logs.

These v3 camera all have the “record sound” advanced setting turned off, as shown in the screen shot I posted further up in this thread. EVERY SINGLE event recorded by these cams stutter when viewing the event. All cameras are on current firmware. My Android 14 device is running the current release of the app.

2/2/2024 logs:
Driveway: 1305743
Porch: 1305745
Ground: 1305747

1 Like

And as I agreed I will bounce over to say I got them to reset the three post in a row counter.

2 Likes

Incidentally, I THINK that this wouldn’t apply to @Known1 in this particular thread since they are the OP of the thread, and I believe the 3post limit exempts the OP of each thread…at least that’s been my experience. :slight_smile: BUT I am sure Known1 will still appreciate the acknowledgment from you doing this. :+1:

4 Likes

@WyzeJasonJ

2/3/2024 Logs:
Driveway: 1305886
Porch: 1305887
Ground: 1305889

2 Likes

@WyzeJasonJ

2/4/2024 Logs:
Driveway: 1306681
Porch: 1306682
Ground: 1306684

1 Like

I turned the sound off on this V3 Thursday night and the cam started recording hundreds of “all motion” events, same thing happened last night. The cam settings showed smart detections set and person package and pet. I turned the record sound back on this morning. ?

1 Like

It is a bit confusing, there are two settings within the application for sound. I suspect this confusion is part of the problem when it comes to resolving the issue.
Engineers and developers may not be looking at or testing the right setting. I can toggle the first setting in the screen shots below either way. It has no impact on the issue what so ever. However, the second setting will cause all of the events recorded from my CAM PLUS v3s to stutter when viewing them.

The highlighted setting below has no impact on the stuttering problem:

The highlighted setting below causes stuttering problems on ALL events recorded from my v3 CAM PLUS cameras:

1 Like

I have “Record Sound Events” toggled OFF inside Event Recording too, not just in Advanced settings.
The stuttering kind of looks like this video snippet from the movie “Airplane” (without audio)!

Thankfully most customers had the steak or lasagna, I unfortunately had the fish!

2 Likes

I know others have posted something similar, but here is a sample screen recording of all 3 cameras taken moments ago from my Android 14 Galaxy S23:

2 Likes

Great job Known1.
That is EXACTLY what I get.
You can see the stuttering too on the timeline (same as mine) on my Android 14 Pixel 6a.

2 Likes

Hi!

I’ve been fighting WYZE for over a year with this and last week was prompted by an email to enable record sound and it magically worked. No stuttering. Go figure.

And the issue is probably with their servers.

3 Likes

Thanks, hopefully the engineers/developers/those that give a crap will actually fix this. I am not holding my breath, but once again am spending lots of time trying to help WYZE fix their issues.

2 Likes

I hear ya man. I reported this issue well over a year ago myself. We know exactly when the problem started thanks to others. Essentially, as usual, all of the WYZE customers have figured everything out other than the fix.

Unfortunately, for two of the three cameras shown in the video above, enabling sound would put me at risk of breaking federal and state laws. In one of my posts above I provided a link to a site that talks about recording audio without the consent of those being recorded. In short, it is not legal in most instances.

2 Likes

I saw a Youtube video on how to disassemble a v3 and disconnect the microphone.

I wonder if you could then enable “record sound” under advanced, and it would not stutter.
The V3 would probably no longer be waterproof, and I am sure the warranty is voided.

2 Likes

Most likely could, but we can all agree this shouldn’t be necessary and now that Wyze has accepted this as a priority high-impact issue, they should hopefully just fix it to work the way it is supposed to.

3 Likes

I agree, I do NOT want to do this hardware modification. Those of us that have Cam+ are really lucky because we can use 4x playback and the stutter is not very noticeable. Those without Cam+ are stuck with 1x playback and it is aggravating. It would be nice if you could leave playback on 2x or 4x instead of it defaulting to 1x on every new video from the event playback too.

1 Like

Personally, I am not able to produce the stuttering issue with any of my v3s that are not CAM PLUS. I double checked my camera settings. They are set just like the screen shots above. I even restarted the camera and also power cycled it. No matter what I do, the events are recorded properly and do not stutter. The events are 12 seconds long and recorded 5 minutes apart as expected.

1 Like