Windows 11 and Wyze app -

I do not know the full extent of the functionality he tested. He just told me he finally got around to trying it and said his installation was successful and he was able to move around the app and do the things he wanted to do on it all using his computer. That is more than I can do with my previous install right now… It won’t even load for at all right now. Eventually I plan to remove it and try reinstalling it, but I haven’t gotten around to it quite yet.

1 Like

I’m sorry, I misread your post, I thought it was you that had it up and running without issue. My mistake.

You should give the Android Emulator a go, it’s been very stable for me, I did see the virtual Pixel 4 ‘reboot’ once, but other than that, all works very well.

SJ

No, you understood correctly initially…I did originally have it up and running without issue starting in early December and ongoing for a little while as I said in this post above with screenshots.

Then a Windows update “Broke” that functionality sometime this year, and I didn’t try redoing it all again after the update, but a friend of mine DID try it around April, and it was working for them in April when you asked about if anyone had any success in getting it to install and be usable [recently].

I had installed and used it fine at one point back in December, but I had not tried since the update that broke it, but I did have a friend do it this spring, so I was replying to then that I just had a friend do it successfully, so I was confirming that it is still allowing people to install and use it even now, recently (not just way back in December), this helped to confirm it was something still possible to do now (and not just something that used to be possible last year when I did it, but is no longer possible after recent updates).

So for me, it wasn’t loading ANYMORE from my December installation, but it was working for my friend who did it just recently.

Sorry for any miscommunication.

Just set up my Windows 11 pro computer with the Wyze App

Now how to get Landscape Mode ? ? ?

1 Like

How did you do it? with an Android emulator like Bluestack?

Windows 11 is needed to do this.

1. Install Google Play store
    The link below explains how to
    How To Install The Google Play Store On Windows 11 - Tech Advisor

2. Install the Wyze App from the Google Play store

3. Run the Wyze App :grin:

2 Likes

Oh wow! They simplified the process for loading Google Play! Last time I checked it was super complicated and somewhat risky. Those new steps look GREAT! I might do this now. Everything is working fairly well for you though? Let me know it works with updates for you. That will be interesting. That was one issue with the previous side-loading method (not using google play), but I am assuming it should do updating better if you use this google play method.

Does everything work well? No crashes or anything?

1 Like

It is working well, even after the latest Window Updates…

I also did a disk image prior to doing this just in case I had any issues.

The only thing I am trying to figure out is how to make the Wyze App go to landscape mode.
The Windows Android Subsystem is based on the Pixel 5

1 Like

I don’t use Google Play Store on my Android phones and tablets so I don’t see why I’d want it on my Windows workstations. But I’m glad to hear the option exists for those who want or need it.

So, I am thinking you could use a rotation control app in Android to force the phone into the desired orientation, then you would use a Windows app to easily flip the display to match that orientation.

The only problem would be that in that case, only the phone would be in the right orientation (you couldn’t use that same monitor to do other things at the same time on a shared screen).

If I find any solution I will let you know.

Interesting … I have tried this few weeks ago… but as soon as I sign on to Wyze app it disappeared.

There is a slight difference in WSA-GAApps versions …
The version from you link is WSA-GApps-pico_2204.40000.20.0_x64_Release-Nightly.zip but I was using this WSA-GApps-pico_2207.40000.8.0_x64_Release-Nightly.zip

I will try 2204 version and see if it helps. Thank you for the instructions.

1 Like

I still have the same result i.e. as soon as I sign on to the Wyze app it disappeared.

Maybe my Windows or WSA configurations are different from yours. Let’s see if others can make it work and offer any hints to solve the problem.

These are the additional system requirements for running Android apps on Windows 11:

Memory: 8GB or 16GB (recommended).

Processor: Intel Core i3 8th Gen, AMD Ryzen 3000, Qualcomm Snapdragon 8c, or better.

Storage: Solid-state drive (SSD).

Microsoft Store app: Version 22110.1402. …

Windows 11: Build 22000.527 or higher.

1 Like

@zung102 - I’d try uninstalling amazon appstore + wsa [ windows subsystem for android ] + ensuring you have latest windows 11 21h2 or 22h2 update installed.

Then redo your install of wsa with magisk and mindthegapps [ vs opengapps ] that enables google play store support. Step x step details are at LSPosed/MagiskOnWSALocal (github.com).

I just followed this process which results in my local wsl [ windows subsystem for linux ] build installer having folder name “WSA-with-magisk-stable-MindTheGapps_2207.40000.8.0_x64_Release-Nightly” and the google play store wyze app install is working.

I have attempted sometime in the past, but it was probably older version of MagiskOnWSA. I can try the link you provided. However, it looked like one has to have a WSL to generate the code. Is that right?

Yes it appears they moved past the old model of using github actions and cloud hosted runner process to build output in a fork of their repo that you setup.

Now you create a default wsl ubuntu install, using microsoft store installer, git clone their repo into that environment and execute ./scripts/run.sh and accept all the defaults for the version that covers magisk with mindthegaps [ vs opengapps ] targeting windows 11 64-bit environment.

For variations on that, e.g. a windows on arm processor setup, the run.sh script pops dialogs letting you choose non-default options.

When it’s done, which finished within minutes on my i5 8th gen hardare setup, you end up with the ./output folder containing both a zip and extracted version of the necessary files.

You just move that ./output folder content from the wsl file system to your windows host file system so that powershell can execute the Run.bat from a non-unc folder path.

1 Like

Thank you for the pointer … more involved but I can give it a try … In the meantime, I found out the same MagiskWSA version ( WSA-with-magisk-stable-MindTheGapps_2207.40000.8.0_x64_Release-Nightl) at this website … The Easy Way to Get The Google Play Store Working on Windows 11 [Android 12.1] - https://ahaan.co.uk/ but the installation process was much simpler …I had installed it, But the result was the same as before … after signing on to Wyze the app disappeared.

If you found someone who shared a trustable wsl ubuntu build of the latest version and platform target you needed then that result would be the same as building yourself.

Have you tried repro’ng the issue with stable operation of Wyze app on wsa with any other play store installed app, e.g. kindle or alexa?

Are you on the latest windows 11 22h2 22622.601 release that dropped on sept 20, 2022 or at minimum the latest windows update cumulative update for 21h2 22000.1042?

I have tried Kindle and it worked fine … my Windows 11 is at 2022-10 Update for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for x64-based Systems (KB4023057) … I have 8 MB of memory. I am not sure this may contribute to the problem or not. I got it working OK using BlueStacks but I prefer if it can work with WSA.

You might also try winkey | installed apps | subsystem for android | … | advanced options | terminate followed by reset/repair.

I’ve found my wsa play store apps often hang following sleep/resume and/or vpn network connection disconnect and restores. The step above is what i do to recover from those.

While you are experiencing something different it may be a worthwhile experiment to try to see if it makes any difference for wyze app.