App no longer compatible with your device

wyze 2.50.5 was acting buggy. Cleared cache and force stopped. Went up update and Google play store says ‘will not work with your devices’
That’s it. No other options…
Can’t find 3.0 anywhere… i guess this is a close to “contact the developer” i can get
Android v13
Samsung A13
SM-A136U

3 Likes

That is horrible. I am surprised this issue hasn’t attracted more attention?

Did support give you any technical answers or ideas?

Welcome to the Forum, @mike8668! :wave:

I’m with @ssummerlin on this one in suggesting a contact to Wyze Support. I’d open a ticket, because they really need to be aware of this. You’re not the first Samsung A13 owner to report this issue, and it’s affecting owners of some other devices that should meet the app’s requirements, as well. Wyze Support needs to be advised to pass these kinds of tickets along to the developers for resolution. We have limited ability to do that here, as this is primarily a user-to-user support community.

In the meantime, if you feel like you can trust them, a third-party site like APKMirror or APKPure should be able to provide a v2.5x Wyze app for you to do a fresh install. That’s probably what I’d do at this point just to get back online with my devices.

2 Likes

From what I can find on the SM-A136U (and I could be wrong) is that it is running a 32-bit version of Android. The Wyze app (3.0 and above) is only compatible;e with a 64-bit system.

4 Likes

Very interesting. I didn’t realize there was 32/64 difference in Android. I am familiar with that in Windows. Thanks for teaching me something new. Also, thanks for your input.

I wonder if this is the same with Moto?

That might explain a lot. Was this part of an official announcement somewhere? I don’t recall seeing anything to this effect.

I opened a ticket (Wyze Ticket 4047658) last month to suggest that Support pass along to the Web content team some needed improvements to the Wyze App 3.0 FAQ (https://support.wyze.com/hc/en-us/articles/27652345216155), but the problems I noted in that ticket are still there on the page. :roll_eyes:

Since Google Play Store hasn’t offered the v3 Wyze app to my lower-end tablet running Android 13 (Go edition), I figured that maybe it just wasn’t that variant that isn’t supported (and that’s additional information I requested for the FAQ in my ticket), but since you mentioned the 64-bit requirement I just tested my Android Go tablet with AIDA64 and see this:

Instruction Set  64-bit ARMv8-A (32-bit Mode)

I interpret that as a 32-bit version of Android running on a 64-bit capable chip.

I really appreciate your chiming in here with this, because I think it has the potential to answer a lot of questions. Would it be possible to get the FAQ updated with this information so we can have an official resource to point Forum users to when they say that they can’t install the v3 app on their phones?

I also want to tag @Bam into this as an update.

2 Likes

that’s an excellent catch. i’m going to shoot that to someone at the company and see what they have to say.

well done!!!

2 Likes

If there is one (3.x) version of the 64-bit software, seems it would make sense to offer a 32-bit version as we see available for other downloads.

How was 2.x handled? Was it 32-bit?

Just curious.

Pre-3.0 is 32-bit.

1 Like

Thanks but I think the congratulations go to @WyzeJasonJ for providing the new (at least to me) information about the v3.x app requiring a 64-bit OS. Thanks also to you for continuing your follow-up with this.

I do think it would be useful to be more transparent about this information (as I suggested, adding the 64-bit OS requirement to the FAQ); however, I say that knowing that it wasn’t exactly straightforward for me to figure out that I was dealing with a 32-bit OS on my tablet because it never occurred to me before to check. Even when I did, the answer wasn’t immediately apparent because—unlike with a PC OS such as Windows or Linux—I’m not aware of an easy way to find this information in Android’s settings and had to resort to a third-party app to reveal that information. I guess all that is to say that probably only tech-savvy :nerd_face: types are likely to already know the answer or think about checking, so even making this information more public may not help the majority of affected users that much. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Glad I got a 64-bit S24 and S21.

Also glad both tablets work, A9+ and Tab 3.

Maybe they are 128-bit? :thinking:

Sure are powerful phones.

I just can’t believe going only 64-bit only was a smart move.

Found I installed a thorough device info app and see it’s 64-bit.

Likewise.

Thanks @WyzeJasonJ

Amazingly good answer.

1 Like

That screenshot indicates (to my read, anyway) that you have a 64-bit CPU, but I’m not seeing where it says that your OS is 64-bit. Clearly it is if you’re able to install and run the v3.x Wyze app, but a point that I’ll reiterate from my earlier post is that I’m not aware of any native way inside Android to easily determine whether the running OS version itself is 64-bit or 32-bit, and that’s the important part in this case. In the example I described about my Android Go tablet, I could easily find out (by looking at device specs) that the processor is 64-bit capable, but I needed another app to tell me that my OS is running with only a 32-bit instruction set.

That’s how I’m interpreting the data, anyway. If I’m misunderstanding or if someone can point me to a better (i.e., OS-native) way to easily figure out whether a given device’s Android version is 32-bit or 64-bit, then I’m eager to learn, and I think that kind of information could be helpful to a lot of users moving forward.

Google is our friend.

It is simple. If you only have a 32-bit CPU, you can’t run Wyze 3.x. or Android 12.

Uh oh
Carver is replying…

3 Likes

I understand that, but, again, my point is that general information like that isn’t likely to provide a meaningful answer to a specific user for a specific device. I did Web searches while trying to figure out my own situation with this tablet, and I was seeing things that said devices with less than 4 GB of RAM are usually running 32-bit Android. Looking at the “Go edition” page on Android.com, I didn’t see any immediate indication that it’s 32-bit only, and looking at the Wikipedia entry for Android Go[1] indicates that it’s for 32-bit platforms, yet I know from the tablet specs that it’s got a a 64-bit quad-core processor.

I think some confusion is understandable, and I was actively seeking accurate information about my specific device. Imagine the confusion of a non-technical person trying to understand why Google Play Store suddenly won’t install the app on his or her chosen device.

It’s not that simple. Even if you have a 64-bit CPU, your device might still be running a 32-bit OS. That’s part of my argument. If Wyze is going to be clear and publicize (in the v3 app FAQ, for instance) that current and future versions of the app are 64-bit only, meaning that they require a 64-bit OS to install—which would be great for Forum regulars to have an official source to point to in order to educate other users seeking help—then it’d be helpful to make it easier on those users having problems by also pointing them to a simple means for determining whether their specific OS is 32-bit or 64-bit.

He is? :wink:

Watch out! :astonished:

1. I realize that Wikipedia is far from a definitive primary source, but I believe that an average user seek for information there. ↩︎

1 Like

You need to determine if you are running 32-bit software on your phone, google for the Android version.

I trusted @Seapup telling me the 3.x app is 64-bit. I didn’t look it up.

What Android version are you running on your Android lite tablet?

It’s Android 13, and that’s what the OS tells me when I navigate to :gear: Settings ➜ About tablet ➜ Android version. It doesn’t tell me that it’s the “Go edition” variant of Android (though I knew that it was when I bought it), and I can imagine that the average user wouldn’t know the difference.

I guess part of my frustration here is with Android itself, because…

• In Windows, I can click something like Settings ➜ System ➜ About and clearly see that I’m running a “64-bit operating system” on a “x64-based processor”.
  • In Linux, I can pop a terminal session and issue cat /proc/version to see strings like “buildd@lcy02-amd64-082” and “x86_64-linux-gnu-gcc-13”.

I’m not aware of an easy way to do that (barring use of a third-party app) on the device itself, which is something that I believe would be helpful information for a struggling user.

This situation kind of makes me think of the old Windows Upgrade Advisor that users could download to see if their hardware was going to be capable of handling Windows 7, and I’m writing this on a machine that initially shipped with 32-bit Windows XP installed but is currently running 64-bit Ubuntu on the same old processor. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

3.x is definitely 64-bit. I checked all of the 3.x Android bundles and there is no provision (ISA) for 32-bit. Pre-3.0 Android versions are packaged or bundled to support both 32-bit and 64-bit.

Yep. Some manufacturers force 64-bit CPUs to 32-bit mode as part of their model tiering, like all flavors of Samsung A13 when initially launched. A13s have a 64-bit CPU, but Samsung forced it to run in 32-bit mode to keep the model in the lower “A” tier so it didn’t compete with higher priced “A” models and flagship “S” tier. Because the CPU is forced to run only in 32-bit mode, it has to run a 32-bit version of Android. Because Android is running in 32-bit mode, it can’t run 64-bit apps unless the app is bundled for both architectures like Wyze app 2.50.x and earlier. Samsung subsequently released an Android 14/One UI 6 (64-bit) update for A13 models, but that update has to pass through carriers. Some carriers have pushed the update out, some have not, some to specific regions only, some never will. For reference, one example of a 32-bit > 64-bit, Android 13 > 14 update for an A13 model: Build Number : A135USQU7DXA2, Android version : U(Android 14), Release Date : 2024-01-29

Check Android Kernel Architecture, not Android version or Kernel version. Android Kernel Architecture definitively identifies 32-bit or 64-bit. Most devices don’t display the kernel architecture in Settings > About Phone > Software information. If you don’t see it in Software Information, you’ll need a 3rd party app like the free AIDA64. Using AIDA64, check Android > Kernel Architecture. Some values are obvious like “aarch64” (64-bit). Some are not like “armv8l” (32-bit). Just Google the value if unsure.

You can also check CPU Instruction Set using AIDA64. A 64-bit device forced to 32-bit mode will usually indicate such. If CPU is forced to 32-bit mode, Android kernel architecture must also be 32-bit.

Back to the OP’s issue… it appears that people with phones/tablets running 32-bit versions of Android are unaware that their phone/tablet is limited to 32-bit mode, and it appears that there is currently no 32-bit compatible version of the Wyze app in the Google Play Store. That is a 3-fold problem (I tested all 3 scenarios today):

• New users are purchasing Wyze gear unaware that their phone/tablet is 32-bit and there is no option for these users to install any Android version of Wyze app from the Google Play Store.

• Existing users with 32-bit devices who uninstall the pre-3.0 Wyze app and attempt to reinstall from the Play Store end up in the same situation as those above… finding no compatible version in the Play Store.

• Existing users with 32-bit devices attempting to update a pre-3.0 version find no compatible update in the Play Store. This also applies to users running a version older than the current 2.50.9.512. These users are stuck with whatever version they currently have loaded even though it is not the latest 32-bit version.

Depending on Google Play Store app version loaded on an Android 32-bit device, and regardless of whether the Wyze app is currently installed or not, a search for the Wyze app results in either Wyze app not found or a 3.x version with the message “This app won’t work for your device” message:

A 32-bit compatible version of the Wyze app (currently 2.50.9.512) should seamlessly be made available to these users via the Google Play Store so they don’t have to stumble their way to this forum only to be told to download the equivalent from an apk mirror site.

10 Likes