Thermostat offline repeatedly

Thanks for that. I won’t upgrade once I get it installed

I’m running 1.2.3 on the beta 2.38.0 (9) app. I’m still going offline. The wireless shows disconnected. After running the RouteThis_helps app it says to open port 80. Well I have Starlink retail and I cannot edit ports :pensive: I wonder if I can get my Cisco 800 vpn router to work with an ipv6 vpn service and bypass the dumb stinky Starlink router?

Well it’s been over 2 months now… I believe they have this problem whooped!
I hope it’s working for everybody now…
I’ve got firmware 1.2.5
I don’t know what they did… but Thank You!

(Now if we could just optimize the Heat Pump issue…) :slightly_smiling_face:
I have faith!

1 Like

I’ve been having this issue for months - every month or two it goes offline and requires wiping all the programming and setting it up from scratch to reconnect - not ideal.

Has anyone found a way to get it reconnected without having to wipe everything?

I haven’t had any connection issues in quite a while but when I did I simply flipped the breaker for the HVAC which rebooted the thermostat and I was connected again.
I never had to start over…

1 Like

Wow that worked! Love you!

1 Like

You should be able to accomplish the same power cycle on the thermostat without cutting the power by pulling the unit from the wall, waiting briefly, and remounting it to the wall plate.

2 Likes

Mine is off line now at my seasonal house. Occasionally comes online for a few days. I switched the breakers off/on which resolved for a few days. Then, back off line.

I wonder if it would happen if you were there, or does it have something to do with being remote?

Good thought. But, same problem while I am there.

I had a problem for a long time where my printer kept loosing it’s connection. Turned out, we had a Roku that was snatching the same IP address whenever we used the Roku. I fixed it by assigning a different IP address to the printer.

I wonder what might be interfering with your thermostats connection? Is there something locally that is triggering it… microwave usage or some other device?

1 Like

Thank you for the tips. When I return to the house this summer, I will investigate that.

2 Likes

Been reading along here observing…

Currently working w\ another user with a cam that seems to be getting knocked offline by an IP conflict like that… May be the case here, may not be.

One way to test if it is an IP conflict that knocks it off the network is to open up the Guest Network on the router under a different SSID and PW and install the Thermostat there all by itself. That will give it a different IP scheme that the main network can’t steal from. If it maintains connectivity, it is probably an IP conflict on the router. To find the culprit device, move each device over to the Guest Network one at a time until you find the one not playing nice. Then leave it there quarantined as punishment and put everything else back on the main.

1 Like

Great advise. I will give that a try.
Thanks, Bill

1 Like

Well, it’s been 6 months of me trying to sort this out and every time I think it’s good, it goes offline again. It varies, sometimes it makes it 2 hours, sometimes 2 weeks. Doesn’t matter if I’m there locally or remote. I’ve tried 2 different thermostats, one at FW 1.2.5 and then I got a new one with FW 1.2.1 and still had issues. I put it on its own router all by itself and it still had issues. I tried both dynamic and static IP addressing and it still had issues. I’m no expert in this stuff, but it does seem to an IP address issue. When it was dynamically assigned the router say it would be .100, but the thermostat itself would say it was .101. Power cycling the router doesn’t seem to help, but power cycling the furnace always fixes it. Anyways, let me know if anyone has any ideas. I’ll pass this along to customer service, but I’m close to throwing in the towel …

Well I have one other thought…
Is there something in the area that could be interfering with the 2.4GHz frequency?
We used to have a microwave that would do that… also we used to have some wireless house phones (before we went to cells) that would interfere with the 2.4GHz…
The phone however, had a setting you could change to fix that problem.
There may be other electronic devices out there that may cause a problem. They don’t have to be using your router.

1 Like

I’ve been having the exact same issue with my thermostat. I’m going to make the assumption your issues is following the same behavior as mine (and all others having issues). I’m a Cisco network admin and have done extensive testing on this silly thing. It’s not IP addressing or the internet or the router it’s connected to. I also do not believe it’s the thermostat’s hardware. Once it connects to the router it retains IP connectivity. It’s latency (ping rates) are very high with an average 75% loss of connectivity. The reason I do not believe it’s the thermostat hardware is that a power cycle of the thermostat (resetting the HVAC unit as you have done) fixes the issue until next time, which can be a day to several weeks. Sometimes it just fixes itself. If it were hardware it wouldn’t be so sporadic and widespread across all those using this thing. Also, once it goes offline there is no more communication between the thermostat and the Wyze servers (that is how your thermostat communicates to the phone app, By proxy through their servers).

I think it’s firmware that is poorly written. I’m not a software developer but I have a vast knowledge of firmware running on always-on hardware (such as routers, firewalls, switches etc) and maintained devices such as servers. They’ve written the firmware as though the device is going to be maintained (which usually means more frequent power cycles). If they were to dig in it probably has a memory leak that shrinks and grows depending on the data it’s collecting or something like that. Once that memory is used the firmware can no longer do it’s job of running the device. You’ve probably experienced something similar when you use your computer and it gets painfully slow then after a reboot it works fine. Hopefully their listening because I’m sure it’s an easy fix for a seasoned firmware developer.

Even if they were to add code to schedule a nightly automatic reboot of the thermostat it would at least Band-Aid the issue well enough to be tolerable.

1 Like

They just released a new Beta version…

1 Like

I have a sneaking suspicion this will not fix our issue.

Thanks James11 and agreed this sounds like the issue - you have to wonder if the Wyze owners actually use their own products in their homes . . .

JON

1 Like