Sick of failing Outdoor v1 cams

Im an IT person, have been in the game for 40 years. In all that time ive NEVER had a single product fail so many times. I must have gone through a dozen outdoor v1 cameras. Just before hurricane Ian, i brought in all my outdoor cams, turned them them off, and when we finally got power restored, i went to turn them on, and two of them would not turn on. I tried everything, and i mean everything. one of them is 13 months old and the other is about 15 months old.
Going back and forth with Wyze support, the best they can do, is a $15 gift card (for two cameras!!), which i think it totally unfair, and just not the right thing to do.
So, pissed off, i took one apart (i know my stuff) and the issue is the card that contains the power connector, LED and on/off switch. First ive only ever turned them on once, and yet the little plastic switch part was all bent and i had to use a spudger - pointy thing - to move it back into the off position. The issue is the connector that the ribbon cable plugs into (daisy chained to another card),a dn im thinking the battery got hot, which made the PCB board expand, which in turn broke the solder connection for the connector the ribbon connect too.
I open up the other defective outdoor camera, and guess what… SAME THING… bent and almost non-existent plastic “knob” on/off switch, and the same issue with the ribbon connector.
This is a manufacturer issue, badly made product… and im only going to get $15.00.

I will say this, as they die i wont be replacing them with the same wyze crud. i cant be spending this much money every 13-15 months… its insane… so im either going to make my own rig with frigging web-cams, or go with another company… maybe zomodo (even though im not that much of a fan)…
im just so pissed off… so much money down the drain…
oh, and something else i learned… if you purchase them from anyone other than wyze, wyze will NOT honor the warranty… thats in the email support sent me… this company has really lost its way, and also dont seem to be able to produce a quality product…
DeVoiD

Maybe you got :lemon: :lemon:'s
I got these 4 version one WCO in October 2020 and they are all doing their job. I take them down and charge them about every 7-8 weeks, Last charged them all 01 October 2022.

2 Likes

It would be a lot of lemons… at a guess, id say that ive had (since about 2017-8) at least 6 cameras just stop working… pisses me off because i do the right thing because of hurricane Ian and go outside, disconnect them from their solar panels, turn them off and bring them in the house to be safe. But when i go to power them on, two of them wont power on… and then to be told we will give you $15, its insulting… yeah they dont have to give me anything, but 1 month outside of warranty on one of them… plus two camera die at the same time (obvious defect in materials), and also that they wont honor their warranty if the devices are not bought through wyze.com - these were though. This company has really lost its way… like it wasnt bad enough that my wife and i went through that bloody hurricane Ian, now I have to go through this BS…
As these devices die, i wont be replacing them with Wyze products… to think ive spent many hundreds of dollars on their equipment, what a huge waste of time and money.

Not sure how to judge this post, because the following is not true…

The Cam Pan v2 I just got a warranty replacement for was purchased at Amazon.com.

In addition…

The Wyze warranty is 12 months. I’m not sure what one should expect for a product that is out of warranty, but a gift card is undoubtedly more than the obligation of zero.

2 Likes

Will NOT honor outside of Amazon, I was told that in a chat session, so that you bought from Amazon, and they did honor it just confuses what they will and will not honor even more… and No i wasnt expecting a warranty on something that comes with 12 months, if the device is outside of those 12 months… but i find it strange that in TOTAL ive had two outdoor camera’s crap-out at 13 months… i just should have left the damn things outside to deal with hurricane Ian and to hell with it… but i thought it was doing the right thing, to turn them off and bring them inside just in case the wind blew them off their magnetic mounts (turns out we had sustained windows over 120mph)… when we got power back, i turn the switch to the ON position, and nothing… plug them in to power to make sure they have a charge (they were at 100% when i brought in all 4 of them), and no lights at all… so doing what i thought was the right thing turned out to be wrong, because if i hadnt touched them, and they didnt blow down the street, they might all be working right now… sick of spending over $100 almost yearly…