Over - Reddit AMA - Wyze Cam Pan v3 and Wyze Cam OG Product Team - 1/19/2023

Hi, everyone!

This Thursday, January 19th, we’ll be hosting an AMA with the following people over on Reddit r/wyzecam.

• Dongsheng Song - Chief Product Officer/Product Manager of Wyze Cam OG
  • Dave Crosby - Chief Marketing Officer
  • Steve McIrvin - Vice President of Product
  • Chao Zhang - Senior Director of Product Management
  • Xi Zheng - Product Manager II/Product Manager of Wyze Cam Pan v3

If you have any questions you would like to ask about Wyze Cam Pan v3 and Wyze Cam OG, check back at 2:00 PM Pacific Time when the team starts answering questions. Be sure to upvote other comments you most want to be answered so that they rise to the top.

See you there!

6 Likes

AMA: Wyze Cam Pan v3 and Wyze Cam OG Product Team - Reddit Summary

Why so many different cameras with similar functionality?

Why so much more attention for the OG compared to the other recent cams?

Why would you get a V3 over an OG or vice-versa?

RTSP

Any chance of an officially-blessed interoperation with Home Assistant?

When are you going to up the bitrate on the cams?

Security

Will shadows trigger notifications for these cameras? How is the audio? How fast are notifications?

Any chance of supporting Matter [ for the OG & Pan V3]

Is it true that the new OG cameras are using Tencent cloud for streaming now?

Can you add a notification into the app when an SD card in a camera fails and the camera is no longer continuously recording? I’ve had failures in the past so it is always a concern of mine. With multiple cameras, it is a bit cumbersome to check the playback daily for each camera and make sure all SD cards are still healthy.

Dark Mode?

We’ve been told Dark Mode is going to take a while to support due to needing to rebuild the Wyze App from scratch. While we wait, can you duplicate the Wyze app, but change all the coloring to be dark mode colors in the second app and just post that as a separate download on the App Store/Play store? You know, similar to how you already have The Wyze App and the Wyze Car App, you could just make the “Wyze Dark Mode App” which is an exact replica of the Wyze app, but where the main app base is using permanent dark mode colors. That would be a great temporary solution for people who want that while we wait for your full rebuild.

Echo Show Streaming issues

Optical Zoom on the Pan v3 for PTZ v1?

Is the Camera information (streaming info, cloud info, etc) 100% private?

Last year we were told Wyze was going to be releasing an update that would show us what object in the frame was an AI detection. When will that be available for these cameras and the others?

Update on the Smart Button on the roadmap?

Now that so many of the newer cams don’t support Cam Plus Lite and won’t have Cloud events without Cam Plus on them, that makes sharing the newer cams with a spouse or others barely usable because they can’t view the SD card playback on a shared cam and now there won’t be cloud events for the shared user to view, meaning they can only view the livestream but no events, ever. Will Wyze thus be making it a priority this year to fix being able to start sharing the SD card playback with shared accounts?

Cam Pan v3 + telephoto stack - seems like a good combo

Pan cam v3: I love the patrol mode. Do you know how the motor will hold up doing patrol 24/7? For years? In hot and cold?

Cam needing power cycle when it disconnects

Updating V3/Pro to new OS (FreeRTOS instead of Linux)?

If the V3 has more expensive hardware than the OG, can we get a firmware update to speed up existing V3s instead of removing them to replace them with OGs?

Will future cams use the new OS, chip, and speaker/mic that the OG has?

Using cams on different networks on the same Wyze Account; & what about making a cam that is 4G capable?

Error code 90 on Pan v3

Make OG in 2K?

Update the app with friendly UX & handle stress better?

Non-neutral-Wire switch update?

Improving video quality of V3 Pro? (looks fine when still, but artifacts when there is movement)

What are your plans for this year related to the app? It is getting a bit cluttered for those of us with lots of devices. Need more flexibility to add different products into one group. For example, I have 2 wyze plugs, a wyze switch, and wyze led lights that all power lighting in a bedroom. It would be nice to have these grouped together, similar to the functionality I already get in the Google Home app.

Cam Plus Lite with the new cameras?

Why have there been no cameras with 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz?

Any app changes coming soon?

Rules updates:

Have “Smart Focus” record on events to the SD card? When is the new interface scheduled for the V3s?

We hope you like the new interface. We’ve been using it internally for months and we liked it a lot. The plan is to gradually roll it out, but it will depend on the resource availability.

Plans to change permissions on shared cameras including sharing limits on the SD card? And make it harder to accidentally turn off all cams in a group?

Different Notification options for shared cameras

Wyze Smoke Detector?

Will other cameras be able to do Picture in Picture?

Will OG work with the solar panel? =Doesn’t have a battery.

Wyze App on Chrome OS?

The Cam Pan V3 does not seem to be compatible with the lamp socket. The socket will power the cam, but you cannot control the socket. Will this be addressed?

The new OG’s pair by using Bluetooth, is there plans to open that up to camera accessories? For example the camera controlling accessories via Bluetooth?

Part 1 of 2 because of this error:

Part 2 of 2 in the next post

8 Likes

Part 2 of 2 of “AMA: Wyze Cam Pan v3 and Wyze Cam OG Product Team” - Reddit Summary

iOS has been getting the brunt of fatal errors such as the dreaded -1 that was recently fixed. Is there plans of a new process and better testing protocol to prevent this from happening? Instead of a hot-fix every couple days.

The WYZE OG looks washed out compared to the V3 will there be a firmware to correct this and will there ever be a setting in the app where we can make CONTRAST and BRIGHTNESS adjustments ourselves like POE cameras can do?

Feeling hurt that things with the company didn’t go the way some users expected, feeling like Wyze just tries to get new users.

Why did Wyze use “OG” when it refers to Gangster lifestyles?

9 Likes

Thanks for doing this, Carver. :slight_smile:

Reliability. Good to hear and twice repeated. :+1:

Disagree, but good to know their true perspective on the feature.

3 Likes

Thanks carver, I always love reading through these summaries, even if I participated in the AMA also :smiley:
This AMA was PACKED with good info!

7 Likes

We even got more answers than I had thought we did and I was the one running the thing.

6 Likes

Oh yeah! It was filled with tons of answers to spill over into a second post. Only a couple of them have had that much info.

Most of it was thanks to Dongsheng power-responding to TONS of questions! Steve did a ton too. And the others had good quality responses for the ones they did. Definitely A LOT stuff covered in just 1.5hrs.

4 Likes

Ok, I got the Wiki updated for this AMA, there were 55 questions answered by the team. If you would like to see all the questions and answers here is the link.

4 Likes

Testing Copying from Jason’s Wiki into forum spreadsheet style

Question Reply
Any chance of an officially-blessed interoperation with Home Assistant? Sorry, but we do not have plans to build an official connection with Home Assistant. Our plan is to focus our resources on features and reliability that most of the users will benefit from. -u/WyzeDS
Why would you get a V3 over an OG or vice-versa? I’m confused on the separation of the two products… Wyze Cam OG improves over v3 with a lower price point. It has a built-in spotlight, improved audio quality, faster in live-streaming and notification, and BLE for easier setup. It is the best entry point security camera. It also comes with a new Picture in Picture functionality, where you can view two Wyze Cam OGs live streams on the same screen and toggle between the two with one quick click. In general, if you are looking for a well-rounded security camera, OG is the choice. Wyze Cam OG telephoto boosts a 3x Telephoto lens, which can let you keep an eye on a point of interest far away. You’ll be able to see the far-away object like being 3 times closer. On the other hand, if you want to control the garage door, lamp socket, etc, you would want to go with v3. -u/WyzeDS
Why so many different cameras with similar functionality? In general, each category has 2-3 models. For example, for wired cameras we have Wyze Cam OG at the entry level, Wyze Cam v3 and possible Wyze Cam v4 at the mid level, and Wyze Cam v3 Pro at the premium level. In the doorbell category, we have the Wyze Video Doorbell at the entry level and Wyze Video Doorbell Pro at the premium level. We will do a better job at explaining the product lineup so customers can understand better how to choose the product for their needs. u/WyzeDS
What is Wyze Cam V4? :slight_smile: Spill some details for us. :slight_smile: We don’t have details, since it is a bit far out… u/WyzeDS
Do these cameras have RTSP? As a fulltime home assistant user that would be a huge reason for me to buy them, simply wouldn’t without it. Wyze Cam Pan v3 and Wyze Cam OG do not have RTSP. We don’t have a concrete plan to add RTSP in the near future. Currently, our resources will be focused on improving the product features and reliability that the majority of the users will benefit from. u/WyzeDS
Im not sure if we’ll get all of the true business reasons for this, but why is Wyze so focused on the Wyze Cam OG? You guys had your Chief Product Officer take up the product management on it, have marketed it way more than anything in recent memory (including with this AMA with five high level employees), and have priced it very aggressively. I don’t think the best/most expensive Wyze camera to date (v3 pro) got this treatment. Neither did the recently released pan cam v3. Great question. I am happy to give you the true reasons. When you acquire a new smart home user with a super low cost camera, we see most customers come back to purchase other Wyze products and subscribe to services. We build a long term relationship with the user. For Wyze to be sustainable, this long term relationship is critical. We barely make any profit on a single camera sale. We have to focus hard to make sure users have a great experience and then they come back to purchase more products and services as they build out their Wyze ecosystem. When Wyze first launched, We were 1/10th of the price of competitor cameras. Over time, these competitors are starting to copy/paste our business model. The whole market has come down, and the battles to acquire new smart home users are tougher. As their prices and features have gotten closer to ours, we feel it was critical to once again make sure we had a big separation between us. We were determined to have the top feature loaded cam at a ridiculous price to ensure the sustainability of Wyze well into the future. That’s why this particular launch is so important and why it’s gotten so much focus, including from Dongsheng as the PM. It’s how we acquire the next big wave of Wyze users at a price point that the new Wyze Can Pan v3 and Wyze Cam v3 Pro can’t do. u/WyzeCoFounderDave
When are you going to up the bitrate on the cams? No plans to do so at this time. Most broadband plans, e.g. Xfinity, are asymmetric and support only 5 or 10 Mbps uploads, so increasing our bitrates would soon overwhelm an average user’s upload bandwidth :frowning: u/WyzeSteve
With security issues uncovered in some in your competitors products, what steps are you taking to ensure wyze remains secure? Thanks for asking! Security is a big deal for us and an area where we have made significant investments, especially in the last few years. For security reasons, we don’t want to give exact details on how we protect users. But here’s what we can say: We built encryption and privacy into our products such as using a P2P live streaming solution We’ve added features like 2-factor authentication to help protect customer accounts, and have this turned on by default now for new customers. We have a dedicated Security Team that goes through our hardware and software to check for issues and monitor tools. We have a bug bounty program for security researchers just in case we miss anything We have an email address that goes directly to our Security Team for customers to report any issues or concerns that they have We prevent employee access to customer content and have processes in place for extreme cases like a court subpoena You can learn more about this on our Security & Trust page here: Security & Trust – Wyze If you have a specific question or concern about security at Wyze, please email our Security Team directly at security@wyze.com. u/WyzeCoFounderDave
Can you add a notification into the app when an SD card in a camera fails and the camera is no longer continuously recording? I’ve had failures in the past so it is always a concern of mine. With multiple cameras, it is a bit cumbersome to check the playback daily for each camera and make sure all SD cards are still healthy. Good point. We’ll take this into the backlog. u/WyzeDS
Will this send me a notification everytime it sees a shadow? Does the audio sound like Charlie Browns teacher? Does it take five minutes from detection to notification? 1. If you have too many notifications, you can adjust motion sensitivity, and detection zones to minimize false alerts. And if you signed up for cam plus, Cam Plus will be the best solution to only notify you when there is a person, vehicle, pet, or package detected via AI. This is the same for all Wyze cameras, not just Wyze Cam Pan v3 and Wyze Cam OG. 2. Wyze Cam OG has an improved audio system, where the microphone is more clear and the speaker is louder. You will have a much better two-way audio experience with Wyze Cam OG. 3.With Wyze Cam Pan v3 and Wyze Cam OG, the notification will be sent immediately, within a few seconds of motion detected, and then will be updated if there are any objects detected AI, this is for Cam Plus enabled devices. But in general, notification speed is vastly improved over previous models.u/WyzeDS
Any chance of supporting Matter? There is no camera standard for Matter. It is still early in the works. u/WyzeDS
Is it true that the new OG cameras are using Tencent cloud for streaming now? This is not true, the Wyze Cam OG P2P server runs on AWS. u/WyzeDS
Why have you not added a dark theme to the app? When will you do this? It’s a ton of work and provides only cosmetic benefits, but it is still on our wishlist, so thanks for your patience as we try to prioritize it. u/WyzeSteve
Now that so many of the newer cams don’t support Cam Plus Lite and won’t have Cloud events without Cam Plus on them, that makes sharing the newer cams with a spouse or others barely usable because they can’t view the SD card playback on a shared cam and now there won’t be cloud events for the shared user to view, meaning they can only view the livestream but no events, ever. Will Wyze thus be making it a priority this year to fix being able to start sharing the SD card playback with shared accounts? We hear your point and will think seriously about this. Here’s why we have the current implementation:With cloud-recorded Event Videos, when you share a camera, the shared user will only be able to see future Events after the share but not anything recorded before that. With sharing microSD card access, shared users now have access to all the footage that exists on the card including files from before the share. There are complications with this and that’s part of why we haven’t changed the settings. u/WyzeDS
Last year we were told Wyze was going to be releasing an update that would show us what object in the frame was an AI detection. When will that be available for these cameras and the others? If we remember this correctly, this might be related to a small group of testers helping with AI training. We don’t think this was meant to be a feature for public usage. u/WyzeDS
I found the sources leading to the question. Please see the other response with all of the exact quotes and references. Here is the main one again now that I found it: Thanks for your interest on this feature! This feature has been tested internally for some months, however, due to the cost concern, we haven’t released it publicly since we want to provide our users the most cost-efficient solution (that’s the reason why we can provide our services with such low prices). u/WyzeWenjiang
cam pan v3 + telephoto stack - seems like a good combo Totally agree! Broad coverage plus super detail in particular areas. u/WyzeSteve
Will the stream ever work stable on echo shows? I have excellent Wi-Fi in my whole house, my phones easily get 500mbit, but my cams barely make a connection in the app and almost never in my echo shows. We will have to look into this more. Streaming via 3rd party players has a lot of complexity which makes finding and solving issues much harder. u/WyzeDS
How about a 5:1 optical zoom lens on the Pan v3? I’d love to be able to track the detection box and zoom in automatically. Even 3:1 would help. 2x & 4x digital zoom on top of that would be nice. Wyze Cam PTZ v1 Great idea. We have some prototypes similar in the works, but we do not know whether it will come out to be a real product, there are a lot more factors that will influence it. u/WyzeDS
Pan cam v3: I love the patrol mode. Do you know how the motor will hold up doing patrol 24/7? For years? In hot and cold? Thanks for asking. We do not have this data available yet but we are running an Accelerated Life Test and waiting to get the results. Currently, we have a one-year guarantee for the Wyze Cam Pan v3 if any motor issues occur within a year we can provide a replacement. The guaranteed operating temperature through the certificated lab is -20°C - 50°C (-4°F - 122°F). u/WyzeXiZ
Any plan to fix the fact that then the camera disconnects from wifi it has to be power cycled to reconnect? Connectivity is extremely complex, because of the Wifi environment /network equipment our devices are placed in. In general, we measure connectivity and we see them improving over firmware releases. u/WyzeDS
Are you using the information of the cameras for something? (The streaming information, the information saved on the cloud, etc) Or is it 100% private. It is 100% private to your account. The only exception is when you choose to submit a recording to us so that we can improve our AI. u/WyzeSteve
Or presumably when you get a court order, warrant, subpoena I’m sure. Speaking of which, since you make efforts to Be friends with users and treat them like you would your best friend, I would hope that if my friend received a warrant to give the government something of mine or about me, that they would inform me that it happened. Would Wyze tell us about such action as long as there isn’t a suppression/gag order (which leaves you no choice)? It would be nice reassurance if you had an official policy to let us know if you’re legally allowed to (the whole friend thing and all). How does Wyze protect my Live Stream and Event videos? With Wyze Cam, users can view camera videos using two methods: live streaming and recorded videos. Streaming is encrypted during transfer from device to phone. Camera videos are transferred under a secure channel from device to Wyze Cloud (ingestion) and from Wyze Cloud to phone (digestion). Wyze employees do not have the ability to view a user’s camera’s live feed. This is because we use a P2P live streaming solution, which establishes a direct connection between the phone and the camera. While this is a technical solution to privacy, we also have a policy at Wyze prohibiting employees from viewing live streams. Event videos, which are videos recorded when motion or sound is detected, are securely uploaded to the Wyze AWS server. From here, the video only would be accessed with permission from executive-level Wyze managers in extremely rare or severe cases, such as if Wyze were to be presented with a court subpoena. No other Wyze employees have access to these videos.u/WyzeSteve
Wyze Smart Button says it is in progress on the roadmap. It would be nice to be able to use one of these to turn cameras like this on and off among other uses. Will you please share something about the button on the roadmap with us? ie: progress, ETA, interesting info, will it do multiple presses and long pressing? will it require the HMS hub? Anything? We are not able to prioritize this product as we are focusing on cameras this year. However, we do have a good design and hope we can get back to it in 2024. So sorry for the delay! u/WyzeSteve
What are your plans for this year related to the app? It is getting a bit cluttered for those of us with lots of devices. Need more flexibility to add different products into one group. For example, I have 2 wyze plugs, a wyze switch, and wyze led lights that all power lighting in a bedroom. It would be nice to have these grouped together, similar to the functionality I already get in the Google Home app. Our plan this year is to focus on fundamental reliability and features/improvements that will benefit most of the users. We’ll take your feedback into the backlog. u/WyzeDS
Unrelated but I still can’t stream my V3 Pros via the web interface… I can stream other V3s but not the Pros… just sites there and loads… Wyze Cam v3 pro should work with the Wyze Web View. If you keep on having issues with Wyze Web View, please do reach out to our support team and they can help you. u/WyzeChao
Are there plans to update the Cam V3 and Cam Pro to the new operating system? I am curious if that will help with notifications and connectivity speeds. Good questions. The operating system is based on the chipset. Once the chipset is selected, you will have to stick with its operating system. But with Wyze Cam v3 and Wyze Cam v3 Pro, we are also working on those improvements, although it is a different code base. u/WyzeDS
Is there any way to use one account to view cameras on different networks? We work in construction and have to either create multiple accounts with Wyze or purchase cameras from other brands when placing cameras on different project sites. Also any thoughts on selling a camera is 4G capable like the Eufy Starlight or Reolink 4G cameras? Using one account, you are able to view cameras on different networks. Regarding 4G camera, we have researched, but not kicked off any.u/WyzeDS
What’s going to fix error code 90 for pan v3 An error 90 indicates that the server is unable to make contact with the requested device. Our team is working on improving the chances of getting our devices to reconnect after a network crash/disconnection. Please keep an eye on our new firmware releases. We are on it. u/WyzeXiZ
When are Rules getting better? There are some much needed fixes 1.improve UX. Allow rules to be grouped. Maybe by room… Maybe by floor. But right now it sucks having to scroll through dozens to find the EXACT ONE I’m looking for 2. Multi-Variable rules. Let me use some AND and OR operators to maximize my sensors. Something like if the garage door is open for more then 20 minutes, and the garage is unoccupied, and it’s after 5pm, then set the kitchen lights to flashing red. They could have simple logic for the basic users, and advanced logic for those who want it. Hell, go for gold and integrate the Wyze ecosystem with Tasker! 3. conditions shouldn’t only start with a status change. If I tried to do the rule if the garage door is open more than 20 minutes, then flash the kitchen lights red between 5pm and 6am, the rule will only activate if the garage door opens after 5 AND it remains open 20 minutes. But what I really want is for the rule to activate if at any point after 5, the garage door has been open more than 20 minutes. Honestly, these quirks with the rules are the main reason I’m not as invested in their smart bulb, strips, and sensors. I just can’t do enough with them Thank you for your question!Rules are a very important feature that we want to improve over time. I would like to first share out what we did for Rules in the past year. - Added ‘Preset Rules’ to suggest appropriate rules for new users - Added Home/Away in Preset Rules - Added Sunrise/Sunset in the schedule to allow smarter schedules based on season change - Added Rules for bulbs to allow ‘turn on Bulb for X minutes’ - Added ‘AI events’ trigger support in Rules - Added Rules support for all new devices - UI/UX improvements for a simpler editing However, we still have a long list of backlogged items for future Rules improvement, such as better searching rules, more generic parameter support, adding more condition checks, and smart (AI-based) rule recommendations. We will work on them one by one. Thank you for your patience! u/WyzeTao
Are there any plans to allow users to change permissions on shared cameras? I would love to allow my family to view SD card playback, but I can see the use case where maybe not everyone you share with should have that. Also, I would love it if Wyze made it harder to accidentally turn off all cameras in a group (2 step confirmation or remove the power button from the homescreen). Someone in our family keeps turning off our cameras on accident. This is on a backlog, but it requires significant work. We do not have the plan to do it in the near future ( 3-6 months ).u/WyzeDS
Are there plans for a higher resolution OG? It’s odd that we have to choose between the Dual camera features of the OG or the higher resolution of the V3 Pro. Great question! Yes, in general, we plan to increase the resolution, but no, we do not have a concrete plan with ETA dates yet for Wyze Cam OG. As you may know, with the same size of the image sensor, the higher the resolution, the lower light each pixel gets. As you go up in resolution, it becomes harder to handle low-light conditions. But as image sensing technology improves, we are getting better light sensitivity on the same or even smaller pixels, that is when you can get a higher resolution camera with better low light performance.We are constantly in touch with the image sensor industry and evaluate when to increase resolution, not only on the Pro line, but also on the entry line u/WyzeDS
Loving the new products being released, with every new product release it seems like it stresses out the Wyze App even more. Can we expect more resources to be put into a more robust, UX friendly app to better house these devices? If you have the Wyze Cam Pan v3, Wyze Cam v3 Pro, or Wyze Cam OG, you will see a new camera UI. We hope you like it. Just an example of us building and improving UI. ( The roll out to other devices will be depending on resource availability) . u/WyzeDS
We’ve been told Dark Mode is going to take a while to support due to needing to rebuild the Wyze App from scratch. While we wait, can you duplicate the Wyze app, but change all the coloring to be dark mode colors in the second app and just post that as a separate download on the App Store/Play store? You know, similar to how you already have The Wyze App and the Wyze Car App, you could just make the Wyze Dark Mode App which is an exact replica of the Wyze app, but where the main app base is using permanent dark mode colors. That would be a great temporary solution for people who want that while we wait for your full rebuild. ie: your Be Friends with Users objective. I wish it would be that simple, but to start off, two sets of apps would require us to maintain two apps. It will be more work than rebuilding pretty quickly. u/WyzeDS
Any update on the Non-neutral-Wire switch that is on your roadmap and was discussed in an AMA last year? Steve had previously predicted it would be ready by the end of 2022. Is it still coming out and will it be soon? It’s in beta testing in users’ homes right now! Thanks for your patience. u/WyzeSteve
Any plans on improving the video quality of the v3 pro. Whenever there is movement the picture goes to pieces with artefacts all over the movement. When still it looks great With knowing a lot of details, my best guess is either due to the low frame rate or heavy encoding we did to improve the connectivity. Wyze Cam v3 Pro is still on H264 encoding. We might consider upgrading to H265 encoding for our future cameras to improve the video quality. u/WyzeChao
When will the new cameras like the Pan V3 and OG get Cam Plus Lite, or is the service going to be discontinued for new models? No cameras released after April, 2022 will be eligible for CamPlus Lite. u/WyzeSteve
Why have there been no cameras with 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz? 2.4 GHz has more than sufficient bandwidth for camera streaming, which is only 100-200kb/s, and 2.4 GHz has a longer range and better ability to transmit through objects like walls. However, we are also looking at dual-band ( 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz ) in some of the future cameras too u/WyzeDS
Any app changes coming anytime soon? Other than just shoehorning another product into it, I mean. The usability has never been very good, and I can lock it up with consistency just trying to view one thing and then trying to back out. Yes, it’s all updated (even tried beta updates). I’d also like to see the app slimmed down or even broken up into smaller, separate, more purpose-driven apps. The recent big change we have made to the App is the camera UI. For other parts of the app, such as the home page and event page, it will follow after we get the camera UI right. We have to take the improvement a step at a time. Thanks for being patient with us. u/WyzeDS
I have been with WYZE since V1 and have the V2, V3, ODC, Pro and soon to arrive OG cameras. I love my WYZE cameras. Very few issues! How about having Smart Focus record on events to the SD card? When is the new interface scheduled for the V3s? We are still evaluating smart focus and see how user’s feedback on that, before expanding it. Same goes the new camera interface. u/WyzeDS
In the previous AMA it was mentioned that your Rules platform team have various improvements lined up for our 2023 Roadmap. Could you elaborate on what kind of improvements you are hoping to make to the rules engine this year? In general as well as any that could be beneficial to the use of this camera? Posting a response from the previous reply there are some explanations of the details. we still have a long list of backlogged items for future Rules improvement, such as better searching rules, more generic parameter support, adding more condition checks, and smart (AI-based) rule recommendations. We will work on them one by one. Thank you for your patience! u/WyzeDS
Are there any plans for differ t notifications for accounts a camera is shared to? I’d like to be able to share a camera with someone but not have them get alerts/notifications via the app. Sorry, we do not have the plan to add this. But we can take this as a backlog item. u/WyzeDS
Any chance of a Wyze smoke detector any time soon?!! Thanks! Not this year, unfortunately. We have no plans for it right now. u/WyzeSteve
Will the new picture in picture view be accessible with both an OG and an existing CamPlus camera (like a v3)? The picture in picture is released on Wyze Cam OG first. If our users love this feature, we can work on including other Wyze cameras. u/WyzeDS
Can Wyze Cam OG work with Wyze Solar Panel? Only battery cameras can benefit from a solar panel. The panel outputs about 2 watts and cameras need about 10 watts to run. u/WyzeSteve
Will the Wyze Android app ever be released on Chrome OS? This isn’t currently on our roadmap. Our Engineering Team is focusing on experience and quality improvements for Android and iOS mobile platforms. With limited resources, we want to be careful about any expansion without enough support to maintain it. u/WyzeTao
Will wyze bring the new app interface to previous cameras? I am ordering some OG’s and thinking about V3 PRO’s. It would be nice for the interfaces to be consistent across all cameras regardless of model, obviously the PTZ cameras are an exception as they require the movement controls. We hope you like the new interface. We’ve been using it internally for months and we liked it a lot. The plan is to gradually roll it out, but it will depend on the resource availability. u/WyzeDS
The Cam Pan V3 does not seem to be compatible with the lamp socket. The socket will power the cam, but you cannot control the socket. Will this be addressed? Officially the lamp socket does not have enough power to provide the full 2 amps that the Pan (at max consumption) needs, so we don’t have plans to support that combination of Pan v3 + lamp socket. The floodlight’s USB port does provide 2 amps, however. u/WyzeSteve
The new OG’s pair by using Bluetooth, is there plans to open that up to camera accessories? For example the camera controlling accessories via Bluetooth? It is definitely a possibility. But no concrete plan yet. u/WyzeDS
iOS has been getting the brunt of fatal errors such as the dreaded -1 that was recently fixed. Is there plans of a new process and better testing protocol to prevent this from happening? Instead of a hot-fix every couple days. We are sorry that we messed that one up. For the specific ‘Error Code -1’ issue you mention, we took a ‘fast’ route to update a popularly-used feature without enough verification to support the upcoming products. We learned our lesson in a hard way! Wyze does a retrospective for each big mistake we make and we work on processes to prevent them. In the future, we will force every large enough change to go through regular testing processes (e.g. more rigorous internal testing plus external beta testing). We also updated our existing test cases to make sure we cover this exact issue and issues that are similar. Thank you for bringing this up! u/WyzeTao
If the V3 has more expensive hardware than the OG, can we get a firmware update to speed up existing V3s instead of removing them to replace them with OGs? We switched from Linux on RISC-V to an RTOS on ARM, so it’s not really a straightforward comparison . . . u/WyzeSteve
The WYZE OG looks washed out compared to the V3 will there be a firmware to correct this and will there ever be a setting in the app where we can make CONTRAST and BRIGHTNESS adjustments ourselves like POE cameras can do The current IQ on the firmware of Wyze Cam OG is a little bit brighter than Wyze Cam v3. Image quality is a delicate balance, where Wyze Cam OG is currently doing better in high-contrast areas, but slightly a bit brighter in well-lit areas. For Wyze Cam OG, we are still fine-tuning the image quality and you can expect some updates in the upcoming firmware. u/WyzeDS
Will future cams use the new OS, chip, and speaker/mic that the OG has? Yes, the Doorbell Pro was the first in this new OS/processor group. Now the OG. We will have more! u/WyzeSteve
Why are you willing to spend so much time and money on new products while ignoring the massive failures that are the current products? Do you really expect a business model of zero repeat customers is sustainable long term? Do you fear you will eventually run out of blissfully ignorant targets that have yet to be burned by your brand or do you think there is an endless supply of fresh meat to extract money from? And finally, what would you say to the many thousands of users who faithfully invested large sums of money and time integrating their entire home/business with wyze products based on promises of functionality and reliability that your company could inevitably never manage to muster, who now find themselves feeling abandoned, unsafe, and essentially ripped off by your companies mis-leading advertising, broken promises, and the embarrassing / amateurish abomination that is allowed to be called wyze software ? We make almost no profit on a single sale of a Wyze product, the only way we make money is if we get repeat purchasing from customers over a long period of time. We have no plan whatsoever to abandon current users and truly sorry you feel that way. We would love to hear your list of the biggest issues you are facing right now with your Wyze setup (and others in a similar situation). Everyone here on the leadership team will read it and evaluate. We’ll see how that matches with feedback from other users and make sure we are putting our resources in the right places, and where we can improve. If this is about 12-second cloud recording, yeah that is the toughest one for us too. We did our best to come up with a solution (cam plus lite) that allowed us to keep our promises and stay around as a company to keep Wyze devices everywhere up and running. So far, that seems to have struck the right balance. u/WyzeCoFounderDave We do monitor repeat purchase percentage very closely and it’s been quite healthy. Are there some specific bugs or issues you can help me understand? I would love to help if there’s something actionable I can give to the engineers. u/WyzeSteve
Why did Wyze choose to encourage gangster lifestyles? (FYI, OG = Original Gangster) Gang violence has been a pox on cities with particularly devastating effects in low income areas. OG refers to the original u/WyzeDS

It works! I might just wait for Jason to do his wiki summary in the future and then copy and paste that in here for easy reference :rofl: Save me some time :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I think I have one or two of the last ones Michael did to get into the Wiki then the Wiki will be caught up. I wanted to get that one done since there were many good questions and there were actually a lot of questions.

I have also noticed in my travels on Reddit today that WyzeDS has ventured into other posts and answered more questions.

3 Likes

Mad props to that guy lately. Been all over social media, great launch room info, great website stream for the launch. Nice to see a founder more visibly involved

3 Likes

So, in this new form it does work to quote something, but you have to add extra characters. That will make it a little harder for the average user. For example, the second one, regular quoting looks weird:

But if you add some stuff above it like this:
“|||
|—|—|”
and put it under the Quote tag, like this:

Then it will show up like this:

So, a little less user-friendly than the way I did it referencing the original statement with a link and single quote per answer, but definitely a cool side-by-side on a desktop browser, and saves me a lot of time. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Maybe he should be a PM more often :rofl:

3 Likes

I wonder if their connectivity metrics for those using the Wyze Router stand out. Maybe too soon to tell?

1 Like

Wyze OG and OG Photo Both Crappy They Keep Going Offline I Called Restarted Them Keep Doing This Sending all 3 Back V3 ones not best they stay online