I changed wifi networks. How do I update my devices?

Do I have to delete and re add devices?

That’s the hard way. The simply method is to change your new router’s SSID and passphrase to match what it was before, then restart it.

4 Likes

If you can’t change your router’s SSID and passcode to match what it used to be (maybe it is a network someone else controls instead of you, or whatever else), then you don’t have to “Delete” the devices to add them to the new network, but you do have to go through the setup process all over again.

As long as you don’t delete the devices first, it should maintain most of the rest of the settings, including any rules/routines, etc that were associated with the device, so you don’t have to redo everything, you just have to go through the setup process to add the new network and name the device again (you can rename it the same name, but you don’t have to).

Just going through Setup again (without deleting the devices and all their other settings first) is the second-best way to do it with the least amount of work, but if you can do what @Sam_Bam suggested, what he suggests is the easiest way without having to go through set up on all your devices again.

5 Likes

Can I suggest you add this to the Wishlist? I was just playing around as I have upgraded to Fiber and needed a new SSID. So I kept my old router and the old SSID for the 2.4Ghz devices. However, some device Apps allow you to change it, which would be so helpful. Also, imaging if you could set the Network up for one device, and then ask the App to clone that network/pw to all subsequent devices you add!

Definitely worth asking!

It’s already on the wishlist. As of this writing, it’s currently ranked as the 27th most voted on feature request. I highly recommend voting for it here:

1 Like

electrical issues here have resulted in a new internet connection and the thermostat was deleted from my wyze app.

If my thermostat is already physically installed then how do I reset or reinstall it? The instructions include doing that right from scratch IE mounting it to the wall, and you have to choose the wiring setup before proceeding… I cannot seem to bypass that part and just reset the existing thermostat. And no I do not have a photo of the wiring setup on my phone it was 6 months ago. I have factory reset it and turned off the power a couple of times already.

Why can’t the wyze app recognize it? It’s not showing up on Bluetooth either.

1 Like

Welcome to the form! @bigspicer

A few weeks ago I changed my modems and routers out and i has the same issue . My thermostat went offline , and i kept the same SSID and password as the old network but they just did not want to come on.

So what I did was , I had to factory reset the device , you can do that manually on the device , and then you’ll have to set it up again .

If you don’t know your wiring , just take the display off the back panel and look at the wiring you have and you’ll choose those when setting it up.

Yea , it was a pain in the a** having to go through the set up all over again but it got my device back online so

Yes I had already reset it, then had to take the thermostat off and photograph the wiring again. This is a definite miss in the reconnecting. We have issues with power outages and my modem doesn’t like it which means the internet goes out periodically. This is resulting in now frequent needs to reconnect the thermostat to the internet. Which means digging that photograph out every friggin time to reinstall the thermostat.

2 Likes

You simply visit each device and re-join it to your network. You need not delete the devices from the app, just add them again.

Some of us have been here before with this situation. There’s a neat trick that will save you adding the devices again, if you can… Say again, if you can, rename the router’s SSID and password/passphrase to match what you were already using/using before. If you do this, the device will auto connect to the router’s WiFi signal.

2 Likes

As long as the wifi ssid and password are the same, you should be able to reconnect it by pulling the thermostat off the wall and then carefully plugging it back in again. Or, as a safer alternative, go to your furnace and turn off the power to it for 30 seconds, then flip it on again to power cycle the wyze without having to unplug it.

1 Like

I’m not sure what you mean, in other words I don’t know where you would do this- rename the ssid and password. I understand the why, but not the where or how

You make that change in your router’s settings. I am sorry, truly sorry, but we can’t teach you that here. You might look up the how-to on your router’s manufacturer site, or search YouTube for how to. Notice, most of those ideas will give you general info, not specific. So, you need to be prepare to “sway” a little with the instructions. Good luck.

Find your router name and model number and google “change SSID name” or wifi name for that router model, and you’ll find some instructions on how to do this for your router. The instructions can vary a little bit depending on the router…some will let you do this through an app, some have you log into the router using a website address, and for some you need to enter the right IP address. Then you log in (using the administrator username and password) and will look for an option to change the wifi name. There should be a walkthrough online somewhere if you google it though. If you can find your router name and password, one of us might be able to send you the link for the right instructions.

3 Likes

Okay sorry I I do know how to log into the router and change the details. I set it up on my own in the first place. The instructions given earlier I thought maybe had to do with renaming things in the Wyze app… And under my current iffy internet conditions, logging into my router doesn’t work.

I had to reinstall the thermostat yet again. They really need to find a quicker reconnect to the wireless.

Thank you to everybody for being here for this… Otherwise feels like yelling into a vacuum here haha

1 Like

Yeah see below, I do know how to change it in the router. I set up my network myself that part’s fine. I misunderstood the original instruction - It sounded like renaming something in the Wyze app was being suggested.

I

Since you say, you set it up yourself, it will look familiar when you reach that point again. And now that you know what you are looking for, be prepared to use the first SSID and password that it was working with, before you set this one up. Okay, now that you are prepared, press the reset button on the back of your router and force it back to factory standard. Now, you are starting over.

So when I set up my Tp link router , I kept the same SSID and password as my old network . Yet, none of my devices automatically connected for some reason . I had to go back and set up all of my devices from v3’s , floodlight , thermostat , switches , etc .

I replaced the tp link router just yesterday. I picked up a net gear mesh system , i kept the same SSID and password as the old network and voila ! All of my wyze devices automatically connected .

It was great, not sure what caused the Tp link to not automatically connected to all of my wyze devices but this internet of things can be funny …

When I set up the new router yesterday my thermostat automatically connected , but my wyze switch did not connect which was strange .