Home Assistant Integration

Charges like “clock work” :wink:

2 Likes

I don’t want to over do this here, after all it is a Wyze forum. May add pressure. Lol

I just received the 4k Lumas Pro @$79 at Amazon.

Im just getting it setup, it is in the Reolink integration in Home Assistant.

It is connected to my Mesh 5ghz and its outside, I’ll still have to play with how far it can reach reliably on 5ghz. Been up about 12 hours without a flicker yet.

All sensor, person, animal, motions etc etc in HAOS. Reolink looks like a fantastic integration.

I still have to play with Onvif & RTSP.

But it may be the “THE ONE”. I’ll probably keep it and replace an SS junk camera on my deck.

If it works out, long run, I’ll be buying a bunch. Relolink app isn’t bad either.

Learning curve on how to a little bit in HAOS. What else is new there though? Lol

1 Like

Since we’re off topic for a moment, Apple rumors say that they are focused on adding tons of options for smart home in the near future. They’ve been working on it for a while undercover, and surprises maybe leaked either at this next event or the one after. Fingers crossed, maybe this is why Apple has made it so difficult for others to join in!

I’m surprised they’re taking so long honestly. Back when Wyze was basically the first and only major company with local AI person detection on their V2 cameras, Apple bought out the company that created that low power local AI detection for smart home devices. The name of the company was XNOR.ai And as soon as Apple bought them out Apple forced Wyze to stop using it. But then Apple sat there and did nothing with it. They paid millions of dollars for this cool smart home AI company and then just let it rot. I expected Apple to come out with their own cameras or almost literally any kind of smart home devices, but they spent more than half a decade seeming to do almost nothing.

If they have actually been working on something then that would be great. They gave off a lot of really loud signs that they were building out Smart Home tech by buying up companies that could only be used for very specific smart home use cases such as this local person detection stuff, then it seemed like they didn’t really use any of it.

Maybe they have been working on cameras, and just been waiting until the matter camera libraries were finalized before they launched their first camera. Then I’m guessing they will include a bunch of the other stuff in with it. I heard that part of what was taking so long with the matter Camera libraries is that Apple kept trying to force the rest of the consortium to use their proprietary code and everybody else said that was off the table and it needed to be totally open source code so that they wouldn’t all be having to pay royalties to Apple specifically, So it’s allegedly been taking so long because they had to build a lot of stuff nearly from scratch. At least that’s what I read in some articles. I didn’t actually do very thorough source confirmation.

1 Like

I see,:eyes: I’ve been posting in the wrong home assistant thread. Thought I was in the discussion thread but I see I am not, it wasn’t intentional, no harm or major foul I guess or an admin would have called me out, just old eyes not looking hard enough. :laughing:

I almost bought that one during prime day. It was the cheapest model I could find that was certified “Works with Home Assistant” and supported Wi-Fi instead of PoE, but it was still a little more expensive than I wanted to spend. I was really sad to learn all their cheaper models only had RTSP without works with Home Assistant certification, meaning none of the more desirable entities would be available. :sob:

I also recently had a couple of people DM me messages that their Reolink cameras they tried had a ton of connectivity issues and they were getting rid of them. I’m sure a lot of it depends on the model and environment though. Just keep an eye on your connectivity.

I’ll be interested to hear your experience with something that has full works with home assistant certification and not just rtsp. The extra entities being added into it is pretty appealing to me, especially the AI detection integration. While I can always do other workarounds such as either linking AI detections through Alexa or through a Self-hosted frigate docker, etc, it’s just convenient having the camera self host edge AI that is shared with home assistant directly.

1 Like

Will do, only about 18 hours into it . I locked in a static IP. Also loaded the Onvif integration just for fun and deleted it shortly after. No need that i can see for it.

It opened as many sensors. Using the Reolink integration seems to be the way for now.

Its been up 18 or so hours. Mesh certainly makes a difference.

I actually expected it to drop on 5ghz, but it’s been solid so far

I’m gonna plug it into an extension when no rain is coming and test 5ghz distance.

My environment as you say may be optimal. In the country, closest neighbor with WiFi about 75 yards. All others at least a half mile if they have Wi-Fi.

I’ve seen no connectivity issues yet. Opening and closing live view often, opening both app live view and in HA together.

I’d say minimal spikes in CPU or memory.

HAOS is running in Ubuntu in a KVM VM in my overpowered PC that burns too much electricity.

From the app settings.

1 Like

That’s great Information! Thank you. I guess we’ll all find out sooner or later

1 Like

Thanks @YetAnotherDave --I got around to copying your YAML today and just put my phones’ battery level entities into it.

The plug I’m using has both a Pixel 5 and an iPhone SE 2nd ed on the same plug, so I told the automation to just turn off when either gets above 79 and turn back on when either gets below 41. We’ll see how it works having both of them on it. If one of them causes it to switch too often, then I’ll decide which one to make the primary. If it’s too dramatic of a difference then I might switch them to different plugs with their own automation.

I love this! Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

I’ve done a little more Lumas Pro testing.

Here are some wifi specs, Gpt did the calculations. Amazing performance from an old Orbi RBK53 wifi 5 model on 5ghz.

Camera’s been live since plugging it in. No disconnect, no known issues. Tested in 90’s heat, getting wet today, rains coming hopefully.

Added a picture glance card in HA and added some sensors in that. I’ll post a few pics below. This isn’t a scientific test. Lol I can say if it keeps going as good, I’ll be keeping it.

2 Likes

Check out the latest answers about Matter (which will get stuff into HAOS too) in their AMA today:

(question was mine)

2 Likes

RTSP beta has dropped, so it’s a step in the right direction, including directions for adding streams to Home Assistant: RTSP BETA RELEASE FOR v3 and Pan v3!

Feel free to chime in on the Wyze AMA regarding official HA integration: Reddit - The heart of the internet

1 Like

Yes, that was me who posted that question in the AMA you linked to about Home Assistant. :slight_smile:

I bring up the subject with them regularly because it is one of the top things everyone wants to know. :wink: I’ll keep trying to represent everyone on this subject when I get opportunities.

4 Likes

I see that. :slight_smile: I’m also poking Wyze as well. Just posted a reply here, re-emphasizing why Home Assistant Integration is important (along with local control!

3 Likes

WYZE: poke poke. Throwing my vote for Home Assistant or any local API (with authentication) for 3rd party software… for all protocols… wi-fi, Bluetooth, Matter, MQTT, etc… or any other protocol available from your hardware. Cheers, Mac

4 Likes

It would be nice to get support for all wyze products on home assistant. It’s my #1 most wanted feature from wyze.

3 Likes

Please at least start with basics. Bulbs and Switches.

Then add from there. Person detection notification maybe?

I know matter is higher on the list, but HA can bridge these non-Matter Wyze devices into the Matter ecosystem. And many older devices wouldn’t get Matter anyways.

1 Like

Given that this request was first opened 8 years ago, I don’t think Wyze is going to embrace Home Assistant. It still blows my mind that someone can hack together Home Assistant compatibility (docker-wyze bridge), while a company can’t manage some basic compatibility, even when an unpaid volunteer did the hard work for them? Never mind that Home Assistant, Zigbee, Matter, Z-Wave, MQTT, Homey, etc demonstrate the need for inter-operable smart-home devices. Wyze is -still- stuck in their own ecosystem & I’m done investing in that. A healthy smart-home should have devices that are local-first, internet second. I don’t buy a light-bulb, light switch or a vaccuum that can’t plug into my existing, standardized electrical system. Heck, NO smart-home products would work without standardized wifi/ethernet/smartphone compatibility. Why does Wyze & practically every other tech company treat IoT that way? There are enough standards in place that there is no excuse. Gone are the days of Google, Amazon, Samsung racing to develop their exclusive smart-home ecosystem.

Flat out, if it doesn’t play nice with Home Assistant, I’m not interested.

@WyzeDave, do you want to “disrupt” the tech world again? Open up EVERYTHING to Home Assistant. You’ve empowered users with inexpensive, accessible camera security. Now give them the power over their own home! @WyzeZZ @WyzeEric.

2 Likes

For those using the 3rd party Home assistant HACS Wyze integration, it was recently updated to support the Wyze Webview streaming (even without a subscription, Wyze gives you free webview streaming for 1 camera which you can change around every 30 days). I talked about it in this post recently but figured I might as well mention it here where home assistant users are following updates to Home Assistant:

I am hoping that with the rise of agentic AI harnesses like Claudecode, Wyze will soon not really have a good excuse not to implement their own official Home Assistant integration (most of the work has already been done for them and made opensource anyway), or at the very least add an MCP server for us to be able to have agents access our Wyze account and be able to check and pull information from Wyze to any system we want (like Home Assistant). This kind of stuff is rapidly rising in the business world and I suspect we’ll see Wyze eventually give in to them now that the barrier to entry is increasingly so low and easy to implement. :crossed_fingers: Or so my hopium goes. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Really appreciate the tip @carver, I’ll give it a try. Are there any downsides to be aware of?
For instance, I think normally the camera sips resources until you go to access a stream (either via Wyze app/web, or Google Home, or some other integration). Does the HACS solution in Home Assistant keep a constant session alive, or does it simililarly allow the device to rest until needed?