Home Assistant Integration

Yeah, but sadly only for 3 devices so far:

  • Motion sensor P2
  • Contact sensor P2
  • Smart lock U200

So their cameras aren’t qualified or any other devices. So you have to use RTSP to get the cameras into home assistant. That’s still better than what Wyze currently offers natively, but not as exciting as getting every entity for the camera brought into home assistant. In theory, the cameras could even share their local AI detections, notifications, Spotlight control, detection sensitivity, basically any setting it feature.

Currently that level of integration is rare and online available with more expensive cameras. :sob: If anyone sold some in the $40ish range (even if just during sales) I would buy some.

For RTSP, The Thingino project has an affordable pan camera they highly recommend for converting to their firmware that is under $40. I have been tempted to try one of those if I go with regular rtsp.

I use P1 motion sensors, entry sensors, mini buttons, vibration sensors etc. you can but some refurbished Reolink POE for around $50 and up on Reolink eBay and their website has some. Frigate or Reolink integration probably needed.

1 Like

I got it flying in Generic Camera, Sorta.

First hump was upgrade the cam firmware.
That exposed the rtsp paths. It didn’t kill the cam. Lol

Gave ufw firewall allow 8554 for my lan.

Generic Camera setting, rstp stream path, tcp, supplied name and password from rtsp Aqara device rtsp settings. After update they popped it all popped in.

Might have restarted camera and app after that.

Unchecked SSL, I think that’s it. Submit, just spins preview if no mistakes made, I said it looked good anyhow and it popped up in generic camera as idle.

But, when i clicked the idle cam icon in Generic Camera it made static noises like crazy in the camera. So… unknown issue there so far.

Also, moving arm in from of camera, there seems a delay of some sort. Arm in front, delay to see arm, detection very quick.

I guess the lag is RTSP to keep it smooth. Not certain yet.

For just RTSP, I’m not sure their worth it.

I will fiddle with it 15-20 days, probably send it back, other than having a toy around.

No sensors exposed without the Frigate install headache, I have no Coral tpu..so, I’ll mess with it since I have it and see if I want to waste, $35. Or not.

There’s a delay even with the Wyze app. I don’t think that’s due to rtsp.

1 Like

Thanks!

I never tested a Wyze in the same fashion, I guess I should.

Thanks @szandbergen and @G2740 . I should have thought of trying VLC first.

So yeah, works perfectly fine with VLC. And guess what - it works in HA too. I went by the preview that you get when you initially set up the camera. That one doesn’t show anything, so I never went ahead and tried the next step.

But if you check “everything looks fine” and actually create the device, it works. Duh…

1 Like

I’m probably sending the g100 back to Amazon.

Just another walled garden of subscriptions, no sensors exposed I can see, without further hassles and expense, such as Frigate, Coral TPU, Aqara hubs and Homekit. Even with subscription no sensors. Sounds familiar.

Waste of time for just RTSP.

Personally, I’m disappointed. Same crap different $brand$. I guess I’ll have to try a Reolink and see what it does. They just sell cameras and their integration does open some sensors up. Might still need Frigate.

What a mess greed is.

Reolink probably has the best camera integration with Home Assistant right now, but make no mistake it is all because of starkillerOG’s work since 2022. It’s the only reason why Reolink got Platinum quality status from Home Assistant.

1 Like

I have one of these that I intended to setup on my mini-pc and use with something like frigate, but haven’t gotten around to figuring out how to set it up and make sure certain dockers can use it.

Was it easy to set up? What are you using it for or plan to use it for?

Eventually I want to move my home assistant from a home assistant green to a server that can run all add-ons locally with enough storage, RAM, and processor to do everything well.

1 Like

I don’t have a Coral tpu yet, but supposedly used for faster more efficient camera feeds.

I picked up a new in box PC on eBay and that replaced my Green for me.

Added hdds, ssds, 64gb RAM. I might have $400± in it.

1 Like

No. The Coral TPU assists in object detection.

2 Likes

Just my opinions here, so far even on high detections, V4 kicks G100s butt for detections.

Nice enough color at 1296p or whatever. How to get 2k is :thinking::rofl:.

Aqara App has a bunch of different settings and icons to get used to.

Free cloud trial. See if it detects cats. The V4 does.

I sat it out on the deck, V4 is 10 feet further away using magnet on my metal door.

I’ll play with it a little while and be fair, posted on X Aqara and X Home Assistant feeds about works with Home Assistant, just barely, RTSP only out of the box.

Aqara confirmed that also, with similar to Wyze messaging returns. They want to change that and feed back was good to have to pass on to the devs.

I’ve heard it from various security companies. Empty & meaningless copy and paste responses without action.

G100 camera sensors do not work with HA, Easily. Unless Matter camera make a difference. Unknown.

But within a week or so, its going back. I have two OGs laying around wanting to be mounted for months. Reokink POE is the way I guess.

1 Like

G100 is back in the bag with UPS label on it.
Not for me. Returning to Amazon.

V4 kicks its butt, OG probably does too.

Forced to try what may be China cloud.

Notifications are limited to every 15 seconds minimum. Bad for security.

Ok cam for watching babies and pets maybe, but theres that unknown cloud issue.

Lights flashing even with their trial ai cloud triggers motion.

Darkness with IR off like V4 8 feet away, and the G100 goes almost blind with 20% ambient light and a lit up night sky . Without camera spotlight help.

V4 can see stars under the same light conditions. No spotlight.

RTSP disconnected and caused a memory leak in HAOS along with some intgrations I added and since deleted.

I really like detection notifications from Wyze and then then the follow up video notifications. Many and fairly quick.

What I’ll be trying instead with that $37 credit is a Reolink Lumas WiFi model 2k. $44? On sale? :joy: Fully supposed HAOS support.

I’m addicted to tinkering. I did get a questionnaire from Wyze about RTSP and responded, that’s promising, maybe. Probably 2026 to see it though.

WYZE has a great app for the iPhone and the iPad, how about one for Apple TV? This is how the circle view camera integrates with Apple’s HomeKit on an Apple TV. There is no standalone app for these cameras, it only works through the HomeKit, so there are limitations as to how it displays on the Apple TV. You can go back and look through video captures from motion triggered events on the iPhone and iPad and even on a Mac, but the Apple TV only displays live views of the cameras. But something that simple developed by WYZE would be great for Security to be able to see what is happening on our cameras Displayed on our TVs. One of the other benefits of this circle view integration is when the cameras do get triggered by emotion event, it pops up a PIP to show you there is something going on as it’s happening live! This is a great security feature and would be Very beneficial if we had this ability for our WYZE cameras as well.

1 Like

Any other Wyze, Home Assistant users crazy like me.

For instance; Since I can’t have person detected, yet, in HA via Wyze, I have Wyze bulbs. I already tried Wyze bridge for it usefulness, personally I didn’t like it.

So if person detected, Wyze, turn on bulb for few seconds, 1% brightness. HA knows its on. Use in HA automations. Requires Wyze automations too. Toggle helpers maybe etc.

Some lag of a couple seconds possibly, person detects, bulb lights, HA automation runs. I didn’t really time the lag, seemed to lag a little though. I’ll follow up on that.:thinking:

That Reolink Lumus Pro $79, is on the way to test in HAOS.

All sensors exposed supposedly, its Wi-Fi, so I’ll see what happens when I reboot router and if it reconnects ok etc. onvif & rtsp. Supposedly. :joy:

I’m led to believe it works well in HAOS using the Reolink integration.

Actually, one thing I started doing is I have an old android phone that I just leave turned on and plugged in on my office desk. I have that phone running home assistant mobile app and Wyze app.

Then in the Home Assistant Mobile app I enabled the sensor called “Last Notification” and set the “Allow list” to only show notifications from Wyze and a couple of other apps that I intend to use as triggers. so now Home Assistant can see those notifications from those apps.

Now, if a notification comes in for a certain camera with a certain detection (person detection or pet on some cameras or doorbell, or whatever), it automatically triggers an automation in home assistant to run whatever custom action I want. In this way I get all Wyze AI detections as triggers in home assistant. It’s awesome.

Also, if something I want in Home assistant, but don’t want notifications for on my primary phone, I use buzzkill or macrodroid or tasker to automatically intercept and dismiss that notification on my primary phone so it never vibrates or makes a noise and I never even see or know there was a person notification for that camera if I didn’t want it on that phone, but it will still go to my secondary phone. Also, on the secondary phone, I have all notifications from Wyze dismissed after they are like 10-30 old. This ensures my notifications don’t max out at 50-99 pending notifications and stop sending new ones.

It’s been pretty nice. In some cases, I will create a helper sensor specifically for that camera detection and have the sensor turn on when a person detection notification comes in for that sensor, and then automatically turn off after 5-10 minutes unless a new notification for that camera comes in, then the time resets and keeps the sensor turned on. This is a way to even automate lighting your house using your Wyze cameras so lights stay on while there is a person in the room, and will automatically turn off if no person is detected for 10 minutes or whatever. Lots of cool things you can do.

It would just be nice if Wyze made an official integration instead.

1 Like

@carverofchoice I like the “old phone as notification proxy” hack. In return, I offer the “avoid swollen batteries” hack to keep your always-on “Phone as Proxy” within the 40% - 80% optimal charge range:

Components:

  • Home Assistant Companion App
  • Smart Plug (I use TP-Link EP-10, in local only mode)
  • An old phone (which I use as a clock)

Home Assistant Automation: (yaml)

alias: Clock Charger (battery charge based)
description: Digital Clock running on Samsung S5
triggers:
  - trigger: numeric_state
    entity_id:
      - sensor.times5_battery_level
    id: ChargerON
    below: 41
    for:
      hours: 0
      minutes: 0
      seconds: 1
  - trigger: numeric_state
    entity_id:
      - sensor.times5_battery_level
    above: 79
    id: ChargerOFF
    for:
      hours: 0
      minutes: 0
      seconds: 2
conditions: []
actions:
  - choose:
      - conditions:
          - condition: trigger
            id:
              - ChargerON
        sequence:
          - metadata: {}
            data: {}
            action: switch.turn_on
            target:
              entity_id: switch.ep10_pl01
      - conditions:
          - condition: trigger
            id:
              - ChargerOFF
        sequence:
          - metadata: {}
            data: {}
            action: switch.turn_off
            target:
              entity_id: switch.ep10_pl01
mode: single

Visual Editor

2 Likes

I have one and appreciate that. I took the wall panel battery management blueprint, took it over and made my own also.

Its keeps my Samsung a9+ supposedly safely charging. I use a Kasa smart plug.

I also have Tasker in the a9+ to cancel every notification on that device, ro the degree possible. It’s running Fully Kiosk Browser+.

If you want a challenge search up, Home Assistant Bayesian sensor.

I just did one that seems to be working well.

It montiors door opened or stays open, use those Wyze automations, person detected, light bulb briefly so HA knows.

About 8 Aqara motion sensors. Three Aqara entry monitored on doors.

The intent since were old, lol, is if I’m away is there an elderly person in distress.

Bayes law of probability.

After observing its actions for a while for consistency, I may add it into Alarmo, if no motion after a few to 5 minutes, arm away when after I exit the zone. I’ll explore that later, I just got the Bayesian where I want it.

Requires lots of coffee, in my case, nicotine pouches lol, stress :grimacing: lol, Samsung watch warns me to take a break. Lol The watch sensors are exposed in HA also, I haven’t used them much yet.

I did make a take am & pm meds and got rid of an app that was tracking me. Out a couple widgets on my phone home screen to click take.

And since I forget things, (see old) lol, i setup some reminders in HA to do things.

Slowly getting rid of cloud & Google. Ronthe degree possible.

Oh, this is a genius idea! I had a previous secondary phone (iPhone) end up killing off the battery to basically be non-existent because it stayed plugged in the whole time. I ended up having to buy another used iPhone for testing purposes because the other one’s battery was dead and I could never carry it around somewhere while I was trying to test things. I didn’t even think about an automation to keep the battery going between 40 and 80% like this to ensure this doesn’t happen to my new test phone, so I have just been keeping it turned off and in a drawer in my desk, but then because there are still parts inside the phone that use a tiny bit of battery and because the battery still slowly loses charge over time then the battery still might drain to zero and I never know when that happens. It’s been frustrating trying to keep a rarely used test phone from losing all of its battery. I really should have thought about this option to automatically turn a smart plug on and off to the charger based on the phone battery percentage. It’s genius! I even already have the phone charger connected to a smart power strip that is connected to home assistant and can already do all of this.

I appreciate you sharing the idea. I’m going to set up all of my extra test phones on this kind of automation so that their batteries don’t just deteriorate for no good reason.

I think this kind of automation won’t really be needed in the future For a lot of phones now that Android 15 and up supports the option to have charging stop at 80% and then just use power directly from the grid and turning off power from the battery. But a lot of my older Android phones don’t support that. So this will be an amazing automation for the older Android and iOS phones we’re leaving them plugged in, kills the battery. Once I have an Android 15 phone as a secondary test phone, the automation probably won’t be needed anymore I would think, or maybe I would just update it to still let the battery drain down to 40% once a month or something instead of everyday.

Either way, thanks for sharing this. I can’t believe it! Never crossed my mind to do this after leaving an iPhone plugged in totally destroyed its battery and required me buying a new used one. This is very useful.

1 Like