Home Assistant Integration

Yeah, the main problem is that because it’s a reverse hack, the seckatie integration relied on “polling” which was overwhelming Wyze’s servers, especially for things like sensors and camera motion events working as motion sensor. More than half of all server traffic was being used up by something like 1% of users using Home Assistant polling. Wyze talked with seckatie about how they could manage allowing the integration to continue without overwhelming their server with excessive polling, and the compromise was to remove sensor polling and camera polling but mostly allow the rest to continue.

If Wyze makes their own integration with OFFICIAL API access, then it wouldn’t rely on over-polling nonsense and could simply get pushed when it’s relevant similar to the other integrations for Alexa or Google that don’t overwhelm Wyze’s servers. The problem with the Home Assistant integration was because it wasn’t official, it had to rely on excessive polling. They could easily resolve that by making it official. Like you said, most of the work has already been done for them and is open source. They just need to make a few tweaks.

I’m reasonably optimistic that good improvements are coming.
The timeline is another matter though.
I’m actually pretty surprised Wyze is pushing forward with RTSP right now. I was pretty confident they would at least wait until the matter camera libraries were finalized and then decide after that. I just with the CSA would quit dragging their feet on it.

2 Likes

I’m also probably going to be too old for Matter in my home lab. I don’t personally even look at it or follow it much.

There is also value in the Works with Home Assistant label.

Google says, Home Assistant reports over 2 million active installations worldwide, according to their blog.

This includes over 233,000 installations that actively share usage statistics. However, the actual number of users is significantly higher, as a third of users opt out of sharing analytics.

A less expensive camera option (Wyze) that’s HA compatible could attract old and new customers. If we can eliminate cloud via RSTP and use local storage. Options. Growth. Even stick an Ethernet port in some new models for POE. V4 or V5, $65+ lol.

And still cater to the less expensive stuff.

There’s value in that. IMHO

Think out of the Wyze box Wyze.

1 Like

I am again prodding Wyze on Home Assistant. Maybe drop a line on my Reddit post for their July Support Megathread:

2 Likes

Dropped a lot of lines there and here. Tiring.

I have another brands very closed system, still have the junk hardware, supposedly a security system. Laughable. The sensors are only half decent, closed, expensive cameras suck. Simplijunk.:wink: RF system, pathetic and limited in actual use. Suits some. Not me.

Home Assistant and Alarmo is the security now. No cameras in there yet…

That’s why I moved to Wyze, my control, only to find out Wyze and other ecosystems give a little more, automations & such but aren’t compatible much. If any. My bad research in both cases.

Wyze and similar companies are missing the boat by hoarding our use of their products as we desire.

There’s already a draft integration, Seckatie, restricted by Wyze. Just open the windows and let us control our hardware.

I promise I’m willing to pay for it or was. But I’ve been with Wyze two years, they won’t miss me. They haven’t moved at all, can’t do squat with my Wyze cams, turn on a bulb, about it. Convoluted HAOS & Wyze workarounds.

Maybe I just gotta move on, waiting is rediculous. Reolink WiFi or POE works well with Home Assistant.

Maybe that’s my direction and just slowly eliminate Wyze and the other junk brand expensive cameras I have hanging.

Home Assistant is growing, fast…get on the boat, or miss it. Up to Wyze and other companies.

3 Likes

Be glad you’re not trying to do something with Apple HomeKit :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

I wouldn’t know where to start.

If you’re using Apple Homekit, HAOS supposedly has an integration that acts as a bridge to Homekit devices.

HAOS would open up a whole new world of automation unless you already have it. (If you have time for it.)

I have lots of power and automation available in Android & HAOS, just splattered across many apps, clouds & ecosystems.

Mostly my fault, for initially choosing cloud & Wi-Fi devices. I’ve just about made up my mind to move on to all local to my LAN. Hindsight.

2 Likes

Man, Aqara is going to put a hurt on the camera businesses. Just released recently the G5 pro which is a hub for matter, zigbee high res, high price, not terrible today at Amazon @$129ish, you check.

But the newest model G100 is $34.99, wifi, usb 2k, IP65 indoors or out. Supports RTSP, NAS or cloud storage, SD to 512gb, USBC. Home Assistant. Etc.

These will replace my Wyze outdoors as they fail just because of Home Assistant compatibility via RTSP.:person_shrugging:

Don’t get me wrong, I like my Wyze but their almost locked into Wyze only.

2 Likes

Very promising. I’ll check them out as my trusty, non-RTSP Wyze cameras age into non-functionality.
Thanks!

1 Like

I’m going to order one just to try one out and see. I’m also another Dave :joy:.

Hadn’t heard of Aqara, thanks for sharing.

I really like the Aqara Curtain Contollers and Valve Controller

1 Like

Aqara is related to Xiaomi (though not technically a full subsidiary, Xiaomi owns a big stake, though though the amount is confidential, just that they have substantial influence and control over Aqara’s strategy and direction and integrates them into their ecosystem). Xiaomi is the Chinese company that started off very similar to Wyze with the same suppliers (especially for Wyze’s early products going through Hualai before Wyze diversified to tons of suppliers). But Wyze took a turn to give up on almost everything but cameras, and Xiaomi started having Aqara take over most of their smart home ecosystem. Aqara turned their smart home ecosystem into much of what I had originally hoped Wyze would evolve to do, except for being owned and operated primarily by Chinese stakeholders. I have often been buying a lot of Aqara stuff for my Home Assistant Instance through AliExpress, especially if they will connect totally locally and are not a cloud type of device that requires their app to use it (ie: sensors that connect to my Zigbee controller).

1 Like

Gonna find out, G100 cam lands tommorow.
Trying RTSP first. $35 to play & tinker lol.

30 day Amazon return window.

Have read positive and negative reviews so far.

We’ll see.:thinking::see_no_evil_monkey:

1 Like

I bought one a week ago, and I like it a lot! IMO, the app experience is better than Wyze, and there are more options and detections built-in. I think the video quality is on par, if not better, and the performance at night is better (wider dynamic range). I also hooked it up to my HA+frigate easily, and it’s detecting like a charm.

1 Like

I tried the G100 but absolutely cannot get it to work with HA. I’m using the “Generic Camera” integration and tried every possible way to set up the rtsp URL from the app. I don’t use the Aqara hub, I’m going straight via WiFi. I also don’t like the app, it does not like dual band WiFi networks at all and you have to temporarily disable the 5GHz band to get it to work.

I also tried the Tapo C120 - that one works really well with HA. I just wish there were states for the motion detection, but other than that it does what it should.

1 Like

I’ll report back after I try it. Or back it goes.
My initial plan was also generic camera.

Go2rtc is supposed to be built in HAOS since version 2024.11.

Until or if I get it working at all, I may own it. :laughing: Stuff I didnt know, wonder what else is hiding under the HAOS hood.:thinking: I don’t have Frigate etc loaded yet, may try that too.

1 Like

@EboMike Let me know if you want help getting it to work with Generic Camera. That worked for me. I also set up go2rtc and WebRTC. But the best implementation is in frigate.

I don’t use the Hub either. I have zero, and I did have to pause the 5g temporarily to get it to connect, but that’s kind of standard for devices recently. Wyze was the same for me.

I like the Aqara app for timeline and detection and alerts. The continuous recording is great too. Lots of things to like.

I may have to try the Tapo C120 too…

1 Like

I came really close to buying a couple of rtsp capable cameras during prime day. The main reasons I held off are because Wyze is in development for RTSP, So I can mostly wait it out to see how that turns out, and in the meantime if I’m going to get another camera then I would want it to be at the level of certified works with home assistant so that it officially brings in all of the camera entities into home assistant, and not just the video stream. If the camera only connects to home assistant with the video stream, then I might as well wait a while. But all of the cameras that support the works with home assistant standard were a little pricier than I was willing to spend at this time. I think the cheapest options out there are from Reolink for like $90-$160 :sob:

If Wyze really wants to continue their value of “disrupting the market” they could seriously just launch an affordable camera at $40-ish That is certified works with home assistant And integrates all of the camera entities etc, but is less than half the price of the next cheapest option at that level of integration. Wyze wouldn’t Even be able to keep those things in stock. Could you imagine a fully integrated works with home assistant camera on this level at a $40ish price tag? That would totally disrupt the market IMO. People would be recommending them all over the place. And sure, they wouldn’t make a ton of money off of those who use it through home assistant, but all the free advertising and name brand recognition they would get from that would be priceless. Influential People would recommend Wyze has one of the best you can get again like back in the day. They’d be viral. Tinkerers and smart home enthusiasts would be really excited about Wyze, and new people who don’t care about home assistant or local stuff, would also still get Wyze and some of them would pay for the simplicity of the cloud subscription. It seems like a no-brainer to me.

I do have a Tapo c120. I don’t use it very often though. I need to set it up in my backyard as backup coverage for when Wyze has an AWS outage. Right now I use an Eufy cam there though. I haven’t used RTSP on my Eufy cams Because it downgrades the resolution to 1080P If you turn on rtsp. I think it disables a couple other settings as well.

But I do want More rtsp cams so that I can improve automated lighting and certain other automations, and do some custom detections. Do any of you guys do anything unique with your RTSP camera feeds in home assistant?

1 Like

@szandbergen I’d love some pointers on how to set it up. I’m using the Generic Camera integration. I tried every RTSP transport method (typically TCP though), I tried the RTSP URL with and without username and password in it, I tried both basic and digest authentication, and verify SSL certificate (typically turned off). Anything I’m missing here?

1 Like

First thing is to confirm that you can see the stream on an external media player like VLC. Any will do though. I use PotPlayer.

1 Like

Aqara wears the WWHA label, albeit just like other ecosystems, paywall for some features beyond person etc. for the $35 G100. Cost about the same as Wyze cam unlimited, I think.

That’s possibly the China cloud like Tiktok. :grimacing:

Documentation for HA implementation is thin. So Ai helps get me started.

I fudge the lights stuff with Wyze cameras.

If person detected by any Wyze cameras, Wyze automations, including shadows, tractor trailer lights lol, then turn on certain smart bulbs in home assistant.

Nothing fancy, I use a input boolean toggle helper to block other light automations so there is no conflict. Manually turn off lights to reset.

Mostly a night time security thing, sirens are too loud and wakes everyone and there are false person detections.

I’m too old to wait for Wyze. If it happens it happens.

1 Like