Doorbell to ring Google Home and Home Mini

The non-Pro also has a problem with syncing to Google. I have set and reset the doorbell and it keeps dropping the connection. Right now, I cannot see the camera on the bell - there has been no change, it just stopped.

Why would wyze sell as a bundle if it doesn’t automatically open when something is detected

Figured out how to have the doorbell ring Google Home and Home Mini (as well as Amazon/Alexa devices):

Posted in other thread:

(Wyze Video Doorbell (V1) has a little delay, I believe (but not sure) to be due to the older video format).

Wyze still needs to properly set visitor alerts in google home. At the VERY LEAST the doorbell button press should be a Google Home automation ‘starter’ to allow us to build our own notifications.

In addition to your solution, I did something similar with a v2 camera.

The problem here is the ‘starter’ options in Google Home are limited from Wyze devices. One thing they can trigger on is when a camera turns on or off or a wifi outlet turns on or off. The previous solution looked at outlets, here’s how cameras work.

You’ll need a spare wyze camera you’re not using, luckily I had some v2’s sitting around. Plug in and set up a spare v2, mine is in a closet pointing at the wall.

In Wyze app, create a rule that triggers when the Doorbell button is pressed. IF doorbell is pressed DO turn on your spare camera.

I’m Google Home, set up automation with the starter being that spare camera turning On, the resulting actions can be anything from broadcasting to Google home speakers, playing music, turning on lights, whatever you want.

Our issue here though is you need that spare camera to turn off now as it is acting as our switch for Google home. Google home cannot turn off a camera, wyze doesn’t expose this function. Wyze rules are the only things that can do this… So…

What I did is make a rule for every one of my wyze cameras (I have a half dozen or so). If any one of them detects motion, including the doorbell, all my outdoor cameras, and my indoor cameras, the resulting action is to turn OFF the spare camera. So these activities are triggering all the time to turn off the spare camera, only the doorbell press will turn on the spare camera.

An alternate I thought of… When Google home triggers the doorbell announcement, you could also turn on a wifi outlet/plug near to where the spare camera is plugged in, that does something that will guarantee motion is detected on the camera. Turn on an oscillating fan, a tv, any sort of movement that the camera would alert based on. You could set up another Google home automation that watches for the spare camera turning off and then also turn off this outlet so whatever you enable turns off. It’s a very roundabout solution for the fact that wyze isn’t exposing the doorbell press as a starter.

Unfortunately, device.event.DoorbellPress is only available on Google Nest devices, which is what is needed to trigger an action when the doorbell button is pressed. We can look into this if/when Google ever decides to open it up to third party devices.

More info on what is supported from third-party doorbells:

2 Likes

I have the same question I asked here:

Can you do something similar to Reolink at least, so it will make an audible announcement on Google speakers when someone presses the doorbell button? IF one non-Nest company can do it, it seems others should be able to too.

1 Like