Don't purchase Cam Plus through Apple Store

Beware, purchasing a subscription for Cam Plus through Apple Store is a nightmare and Wyze Support knows this is a problem. I have many Wyze Products and often spread the word about their products, so when I wanted to try Cam Plus I was shocked that how poorly the experience in ordering it has been. Support just told me that their servers don’t link up with Apple so I need to contact Apple to get my paid prescription activated or a refund. I was referred to their website to order a subscription. This has been a hugely frustrating experience, and Wyze response was, “we know there is an issue with ordering through the App, sorry.” I guess I just assumed they would treat their customers a little better and not just push it off on Apple.

9 Likes

Plus, if everyone keeps ordering through the Apple store, Wyze will have to raise their prices because Apple takes such a huge cut. Please everyone, just go order it directly from Wyze instead so Wyze can keep prices down as much as possible. That’s half the reason people love Wyze because they do everything they can to keep offering us reasonable prices…if most people order through the Apple Store Cam Plus prices will have to go up at least 30% to compensate…

3 Likes

I believe I have experienced similar via Goog’s “store”. Commenced transaction on Android device via Wze app. Ended up paying through Goog, at a higher price. When it became evident that there was no actual benefit of Cam Plus for the WOC the subscription could only be terminated by not being renewed at end of the (year) term. Wyze’s advertised price, and refund policy not being readily obtained, if available at all, from my not evil pals at Goog. I love all the Wyze cams I have worked with. It is a very very reasonably priced hobby. Real fond of the Goog too. A little sad I was bamboozled, but I’ll be more vigilant (yeah sure) about how I click henceforth. Gotta go now, CIA is on other phone, needing my maternal Grandfather’s favorite dog’s middle name, or they’ll “issue warrent”. Yikes!

Yes, I just experienced the same thing. Wyze Support’s replies to me were not much help since they just avoided my questions as if they didn’t understand what I was showing them. They kept saying that I used a different email address when ordering from the Wyze App on Apple.com but when I sent them the receipt from Apple acknowleging the purchase, it clearly showed the same email address on the purchase order as Wyze has on file. I presented the problem to Apple and they just issued a refund. I think that Wyze should just delete their App. if they can’t coordinate the payments with Apple and credit us as customers with our intended purchase. And, by the way, I was presented with this offer banner on my Wyze app on my iPhone while doing other things there.

1 Like

Same thing with me. Ordered from Apple. Got charged $28 and could not get it to work. Apple refunded me and i bought directly through Wyze for $18 and it started working like a charm.

1 Like

FYI this is still an issue. I upgraded from 1 cam yearly subscription to 2 cam and was charged $42 and change by Apple through the AppStore. Wyze has no record of this so im dealing with Apple now. Wyze should change the app so you are directed to there site to purchase subscriptions, not Apple App Store. or fixt the linkage between Wyze and Apple. This is unacceptable. phones and apps are supposed to make our lives easier, but this is a royal pain.

1 Like

Apple does not allow in-app purchases by spawning a direct connection to Wyze.

Apple gets 30% of in-app purchases on all apps.

1 Like

It will be interesting to see how the recent Epic v. Apple ruling will change things.

(Quote Source Available Here)

This may potentially allow companies like Wyze to route people to their website with cheaper prices instead of buying through Apple at increased prices.

Although some argue that it’s not that simple and that there is a lot of ambiguity in the injunction that could cause Apple to take other steps to force developers to pay an “Apple Tax” if they start allowing too many purchases outside of the app.

IANAL and I am not saying I know what the best solution is for a business, I just know that I personally choose to order as much as possible through a company’s website directly instead of through a Google or Apple app that I personally feel is taxing the devs excessively…I agree Apple and Google deserve some amount of compensation for their hosting and security scanning and such…I’m just not convinced that a 30% cut or increase is what I would call “fair” from what I’ve seen…so I go to the companies’ websites directly for now, except for the initial one time “purchase” of an app when applicable.

What a disaster… I made the mistake of ordering (2) CAM Plus from Apple. It never associated with my cameras. WYZE claims it’s Apple problem. Apple Support says WYZE needs to make own app work, and refuses to refund, even if I cancel “non -working” subscription with 9 months remaining. Is that ethical or legal?? Very dissatisfied with WYZE support. They should not offer products in the Apple Pay arena!!

2 Likes

I have my cam plus subscriptions set up through apple. It’s easier that way for me , I set up the subscription plan for all 5 of my v3’s and I get charged on my cards saved in Apple Pay . If the website was more easier than I would use it instead

I agree it is confusion but if you understand how to manage any subscription on the App Store it is a breeze. The problem I had is that there is a conflict with Home Monitoring and Cam Plus Pro. HM is through WZYE and CPP is via Apple. You can’t have both on the same account. I do have to go through three levels of Apple support to cancel the free 2 week trial as you can’t do that on the App Store for some reason.

What a joke! I paid for three and can’t get money back from apple. Called multiple times and first I can’t understand anyone I get on the phone with (sorry but true) and after going acting in circles as I am still trying to figure out how to get a a refund and get my ONE ‘free’ license, I got hung up on when he said he was going to get a tech person on phone. Come on Wyze. Y’all are slacking again on customer service and follow through. You got your stuff back together for a min. Now going bank to junk. I won’t purchase one more product until I see improvements again. It’s the only way they get serious. Why should we support this?

1 Like

I’m having the same problem. I’m also concerned because if Wyze can not manage even payments, what about the security and privacy?

IMO, this particular situation is mostly Apple’s fault for being greedy and enforcing limitations, not Wyze’s fault. For example, Apple will not allow Wyze to cancel subscriptions themselves or refund them if they were purchased through Apple’s services (ie: the app). That has to be managed through the app. Apple doesn’t even allow prorated refunds either. Say a person orders through Wyze’s website and does a monthly or yearly subscription. Then they cancel in the middle of the next month. Wyze will give a prorated credit back for all the time not used for that subscription. That is how Wyze has done business up to the time of this writing when their subscription partner has allowed support for proration. BUT if you order the subscription through the Wyze App, that you got through the Apple App store, Apple won’t ALLOW a prorated credit back no matter how much Wyze would love to issue it. Apple forces you to keep the subscription through the end of the period (month, year, whatever). This payment issue is Apple requiring it. So I would posit that the one not warranting trust in this particular situation is Apple.

This is one big reason why I order subscriptions from Wyze directly instead of ordering cam plus through the app. Wyze manages their payments very admirably IMO when done directly through them, but Apple and Google get a little greedy when businesses want to conduct business through their apps.

Edit/Update: Wyze doesn’t offer prorated credits for services through their website purchases anymore either (barring extenuating circumstances I assume), just as an FYI, but they do still seem to have a bit more control in how they can manage things on their own as opposed to when it it is done through Apple/Google. I assume Wyze partially wanted to make things consistent and less confusing so people would be less frustrated at the differences. But again, I don’t represent Wyze in any official way, I am just a knowledgeable user sharing my understanding/opinion. You still have to go through Apple/Google when you do purchases through them for some things. Keep that in mind in general (not just with Wyze), as well as the extra royalties they take which cause everyone to pay 30% more on average.

1 Like

Just as an update to this i had the same issue… Chatted with someone at apple and they suggested that i delete the app and reinstall it and that fixed it. My lisceses showed up and now i get the full fetuares i paided for.

2 Likes

Welcome to the community Josh. Thanks for sharing! That is a good idea and will be helpful for others to try.

I just joined this forum looking for solutions to this matter and now I am feeling frustrated knowing that this is happening for more than a year and there is no warning when it comes to buying a service like Cam+ for security and ending up with money spent on something that no one has the knowledge to help you fix when you contact support. Really disappointed with the poor support received on this matter by the company.

Thank you

In regards to the Apple App Store, yes you can purchase I was confused. Apple does catch up with it.
I did question them about it. They refunded my money,
So then as Slayer advised I went onto Wyze services and i am having no issues now.
Thank you Slayer
Wyze thank you for making security for your own life a reasonably priced purchase. 🫶🏻 :+1::blush:

The experience on the website is worse for me. Wyze somehow used an email I have never used on wyze at all. Trying to deal with India is a nightmare and will have to dispute the charges and cancel my card.