Cannot pair my new cam og as a chime for my doorbell

have a new video doorbell. cannot get it to use my new cam og as chime. when i try to use cameras as chime a screen flashes by, for an instant, that has my new cam og with the check box unchecked. then i get a fail message.
i have restarted cam og, doorbell camera and my android app. i have checked the firmware and they are all up to date. i have stopped the app and cleared the cache. same results.
i have the doorbell chime type as NONE, but i get the same result if i set doorbell chime type to digital or mechanical. HELP!

Welcome to the Forum, @kenfink2! :wave:

You seem to have done good troubleshooting steps. Unfortunately, this feature seems to be kinda iffy for a lot of users. I’ve been able to use it at will with my own Cam OG, but my current issue is that I can’t turn it off for one of my Cam Pan v3s. :shrug:

I wonder about two things:

1. I don’t know if you’re attempting this with the new v3.0 app or with v2.5x. Google Play Store hasn’t yet offered me the new app version, so I don’t have any personal experience with it.
  2. I wonder if any of the difference in our experiences can be attributable to Video Doorbell v2 firmware differences. I’m still using the Doorbell firmware update from January because of the issues with notifications that have been reported with newer versions. I don’t know if any of that has a direct effect on the “Cameras as Chime” feature.

I’ve noted in other topics[1][2] that Wyze (within the past few weeks) changed its message in the “Can I use a Wyze Cam as a chime for Wyze Video Doorbell v2?” Help Center article, which I interpret as their recognition that the feature has some bugs that need to be worked out before it’s expanded to other camera models, but that’s just speculation on my part.

If you have them available, then other things can be used like accessory doorbell chimes, like Google Home smart speakers or Amazon Echo devices, but I don’t have experience with doing it through Alexa (and I’ve read that this can be hit-or-miss), and using something like a Google Home Mini (which I use for doorbell button press announcements) requires a work-around.

1. ↩︎

2. ↩︎

1 Like

thanks for the reply. the app is ver 3.0.0 (519)
when you set up your og as chime did you set the doorbell chime type as none, digital or mechanical? does it matter?

I don’t know if it matters. I have my Video Doorbell v2 Chime Type set as Mechanical, because that’s what I have in the home, and since that works as expected I haven’t tried changing it. I suppose I could move my Cam OG closer to the Doorbell to do some testing, but I really wish that Wyze would provide a remote means for triggering a Doorbell button press to aid in feature testing and troubleshooting, even if it’s not a Doorbell module feature within the app but an Automations (Rules) Action instead (which probably makes more sense).

thanks again. ken

1 Like

You’re welcome. Sorry I don’t have a great answer for you. Maybe someone else will “chime” in with a better response.

your sympathy makes your pun forgivable,

1 Like

Thanks. It’s genuine. I also really feel a lot of vicarious frustration for the iOS users who seem to have a consistently worse experience with this feature (and others).