Alexa Routine Integration for Wyze Sense

Not sure if it will work but I guess you could try having an echo device say “Alexa, show me CAMNAME on Echo Show” when a contact sensor opens and see if Alexa can trigger itself with its own voice command.

1 Like

is the feature released only for the Wyze sense, or available for Wyze cam’s motion sensor triggers as well?

1 Like

But you can’t use cameras and sence devices in routines yet that I’m aware of they are all greyed out. It says unsupported and then they’re grey. @tacti

@paindonthurt,
That is a limitation of Alexa and what Amazon allows in routines. It isn’t just Wyze cams, but also ring and other manufacturers. It will allow a routine to trigger based on a Wyze cam or Sensor, but the action taken will not trigger on a camera. It will allow turning on/off lights, switches, even an Alexa enabled TV, but unfortunately Amazon has not enabled activating the automatic viewing of a Cam on a show or spot device.
Some really clever folks have found putting a dot near a show and having the dot speak the command aloud will trigger the show, but that requires two Echo devices next to each other as a single device can’t trigger itself by voice.
I’d suggest pressuring Amazon to enable this functionality, but in my experience, they aren’t terribly responsive to community requests like Wyze is.

Yeah I have several Alexa routines in place right now. I was just letting them know that Amazon is not enabled all devices for routines. It’s a shame because they would come in very handy.

Here’s something interesting in the unsupported devices it shows my motion sensors. But I’m using motion sensors right now in two routines. But I tried to create a news routine a motion sensor and it would not let me select It. Wonder what’s up with that?

I think what you are seeing is the differentiation between the trigger “When this happens” and the resulting action 'Add action" in the Alexa routine setup. The Sensors are a supported device to trigger a routine, but not supported as a Smart Home device for the resulting action. Probably not the best term on the part of Amazon to just say “unsupported” as it leads to confusion when it is supported for some functions (the trigger) but not others.

1 Like

Yep you are correct. I was mixed up I was able to go ahead and create the routine I wanted. Thanks for clearing that up for me I don’t know how I missed that up after I got six or seven routines going already but I did mess it up. Big old brain fart… But thanks for clearing it up for me

Is wyze planning to enable Sensor to be used with Routines for the Camera V2 or just wyze sense ? Not allowing Camera to be trigger routines until now really boggles me

1 Like

You can achieve this result using IFTTT. This will allow you to record a capture and upload. Or, if you mean as a trigger itself. you can use motion detected by v2 cam and pancam as trigger for Alexa routines.
Not sure which you meant.

Motion detected by V2 Cam cannot trigger Alexa Routines . Can you please let me know how it is possible . I was able to get wyze sense and enable motion sensor but Camera itself cannot do it

1 Like

Thanks so much for this!
I have been searching for ways to help my Wyze sense contact and motion sensors to react faster in my home automations through google home with other brand’s devices (plugs and bulbs that use clouds), but the fact that they have not integrated motion and contact sensors into their routines as triggers was driving me crazy and makes that pretty much impossible!

I currently use IFTTT but the delay of jumping between clouds is becoming quite an annoyance! Standing there waving my hands at a sensor, while one connected to a wyze bulb is almost instant.

Luckily most of my smart home devices are hub free (besides Wyze’s bridge) and compatible with both Google and Alexa, so discovering the integration with Alexa is already here is a game changer! I’ve only changed one rule, but I’ve already noticed an increase in that reaction time! :slight_smile:

Not having Alexa directives and events that can be put into Alexa routines is kind of like making a computer without any way to control the mouse / keyboard. Without this critical feature, the camera / sensor / whatever has no input / output, and is about as useful as having a webcam thats running 24/7.

Without comprehensive smart things integration for all wyze products, I’m sorry to inform you that wyze will become “that one company that went out of business in 2020” and not “an industry leader in smart home devices.”

Skipping Alexa / Google Home events is simply the wrong route.

If you need help integrating with Alexa, I can explain how to easily use their API to send directives and events without much additional code.

I’ve had my contact and motion sensors triggering Alexa routines for at least the past month now…

2 Likes

I am unsure what integration to which you referring, so I apologize if I misunderstood, but Alexa triggers have been available for ages.

1 Like

Hey all, I love hearing Alexa tell me that the garage door is being opened. Now I can have Alexa warn me during sleeping hours if there is a motion triggered by Wyze cams! This is a solution that allows Alexa to recognize regular Wyze cam motion (not person detection) as a trigger to initiate a routine so it can warn you with an audio message from Echo devices. Pretty cool!

Here ya go, It’s a free solution using apps to connect the pieces together: How to Use Wyze Cameras to Trigger an Alexa Routine - Ian Lee - Marketer, Photographer.

Love the Alexa integration. Once I set the time in the evening when my v2 detects a person, I have Alexa say “Unauthorised person detected in the backyard”and say the time and date for everyone to hear. Scare mostly everyone going out late in the evening.

I have my wyze do multiple Alexa routines. When my door sensors open during normal hours, it’ll tell me random facts or say close the door this isn’t a barn. Fun stuff like that.

Alexa routine interrogation is awesome … hope it grows !

Alexa tells me if our 3 entry doors are closed.
If person is detected at night in the back and patio on 3 of the dots only, during the day all 6 dots announces.
If any of our gates opens Alexa in our kitchen announces hey, no trespassing ! In addition to at night only, it turns on our den light and announces in our bedroom dot only that the gate was opened.
If our bedroom door opens at night only the den light turns on, when it closes it turns off.
If our mail box opens on 2 dots only Alexa says, You’ve got mail !
All triggers have a video taken by a near by cam.

And many more …

Also, a good tread on Person detection on by HDRock …

1 Like

Cool. Have you set a routine to allow Alexa to make an announcement when regular motion sensor (not person detection) is triggered on your cams?

No …Alexa person detection routines only…the cams built-in motion detects too many false trips for my outside use.
Motion is on but sensitivity slider to Zero and detection zone minimized to the smallest square and placed on a walked area with Person detection on.