Alexa integration tips and tricks

Dude, you’re a genius! It totally works! No announcement necessary, go straight to streaming the cam on any Alexa Device without a verbal command! This is awesome!

1. Set up an Alexa Routine using the “Person Detection” Trigger of the Wyze Cam in question.
  2. Set the Routine Action using the “Customized” action, and just tell it “Show [Cam name]” (alternatively you can tell it which device to show it on if you want, but this isn’t always necessary).
  3. Set the Device/From/Respond From section at the bottom of the routine to be the device you want it to show on (I set it as my Office Display for example).

The first time I tested this, it started to load, then another routine cut it off (I have another routine that announces “Knock-Knock” when it sees a person on my front porch, so this routine cut off and canceled the streaming routine…this is good to know!) I then canceled the "Knock-Knock Routine from broadcasting on my Office Display and tried again:

1. This time I started a stopwatch as I did the following: Opened my front door and waved in front of the cam on my front porch, then ran back to the Alexa Show and waited.
  2. 19 seconds after I first started opening the door: The screen switches to say “Waiting for Wyze”
  3. Within a second or two, Alexa says “Okay” as if I actually gave her a verbal command (but it was the customized automation command).
  4. 32 seconds after I first started opening the door: The cam was up live on the Echo Show.

Pretty dang cool. GREAT JOB EVERYONE! This is an AWESOME benefit to automating Wyze Cams to automatically show cams when they detect people. You could keep track of your kids while you work, or always see who’s at the front door when someone starts to walk up, or whatever. I am going to set up an Alexa Show right by Front Door to always automatically load the front cam (and eventually automatically load the Video Doorbell Cam) so I can see on the screen who it is at the door before I even open it or look out. This is incredible work!

Special thanks to @HDRock & @kjay for brainstorming and help & @FritzThird for the initial idea and now posting a video example for the FireTV. This is AWESOME!

4 Likes