ALARM function

Provide an ALARM feature. If motion detected, activate a IFTTT compatible alarm. Preferable one that is AC powered for adequate sound level and remote location. Alarm feature should be able to be set for certain activated time (ie: 5min) before feature resets awaiting another signal. Take this chapter from a very good product that was sold by Piper…very capable, self contained home security system.

Could the camera or sensor just be set up to trigger an alarm sound skill over alexa via iftt?

I would like to see an option made into the app where you could play an alarm to scare off any intruder if needed . The cameras currently have a speaker built into them would be awesome to be able to click a button and an alarm starts playing for a certain duration or until you press “stop” .

5 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Camera plays a sound file when a detection is triggered

Not sure whether this is the same or different. If different, vote for both!

1 Like

Provide an ALARM feature. If motion detected, activate a IFTTT compatible alarm. Preferable one that is AC powered for adequate sound level and remote location. Alarm feature should be able to be set for certain activated time (ie: 5min) before feature resets awaiting another signal. Take this chapter from a very good product that was sold by Piper…very capable, self contained home security system.

3 Likes

@maxrpm If you have an IFTTT compatible alarm, there is nothing more Wyze needs to do to provide an alarm feature. All you have to do is create a new applet using the Wyze trigger “Motion is detected” and the appropriate IFTTT action step for your particular alarm hardware. Timing of the alarm activation period, etc., would be up to your alarm hardware.

To create a new IFTTT applet, see this:

https://help.ifttt.com/hc/en-us/articles/115010361388-How-do-I-create-an-Applet-

Keep in mind that IFTTT allows for up to 15 minute delays for actions to happen after a trigger.

1 Like

@Loki beat me to the response. He’s totally right. His disclaimer :point_up_2:is apt too, as well as Wyze Cam’s post-alert cooldown period.

That’s why I’d like to see a trigger that is simply “motion detected” (green square is painted on the screen) and not connected to an alert or cooldown. I hoped to use this for Halloween, but the cooldown ruined that: When motion is detected on Wyze Cam, tell Hue to turn the porch lights blood red + another action to play a scary noise.

2 Likes

Sorry RickO if I posted in the wrong place. I thought this was for suggestions on how to improve WYZE.
Basically I use this for home security purpose and would like a self contained camera system with alarm built-in. (Hence my reference to Piper). It appears that for me to get something similar using WYZE I must find a way to mate-up an IFTTT controlled duplex outlet, modify a siren horn to plug into the outlet (as I can’t find any plug & play combinations already setup for IFTTT) and then understand how WYZE may be able to trigger the siren when motion or sound or both are activated…that will leave the unanswered dilemma of how to reset the siren after 5-10 min (before neighbors go crazy) when I’m not there. Piper did all of this seamlessly after plug-in and setup. I have a decent level of ‘how-to’ knowledge but I’m not a coder or app creator. I was just hoping someone with those skills had already figured out a solution to this situation, believing others bought WYZE for home security and know the value of a loud siren for help in deterring the bad guys.

3 Likes

@maxrpm… Based on your feedback that you are primarily asking for Wyze to develop a camera with a built in siren, I have moved your post and its replies to a separate thread in #roadmap so people can vote on it (button top of the page). This would be a not insignificant new hardware endeavor for Wyze, and they have a lot of other projects in progress, so I’m not sure when or if it might be taken on.

BTW, it’s “Wyze”, with a Z, not an S. (I’ve fixed that) so Google searches will be able to find your post.

Yes ifttt, external alarm hardware, record custom files for alert play back etc would all be NICE, but in the interest of a ‘relatively’ simply enhancement that could be done faster and sooner than some of these others, a simple button to activate an alarm sound on the existing speaker of all cameras would be REALLY beneficial for the case that am intruder is observed on the camera. The shaky scared voice of a child, woman, or even man, trying to tell an intruder to leave over a single garbled speaker doesn’t have nearly the same effect as pressing a button to activate an alarm sound on all cameras in the house. This would be in invaluable security freature that would not be as complex to accomplish sooner than some of the other more complex requests.

2 Likes

IMHO … most alarm sound levels coming from all-in-one camera units are inadequate to ‘alarm’ an intruder. Separate siren’s (inside) that can be heard outside more likely encourage intruder’s to vacate quickly. I’ve added a 30 watt siren that I can hear from across the street in front of my home…you definitely don’t want to be in the house when it’s activated!!

Virus-free. www.avast.com

2 Likes

I don’t disagree, ‘ideally’ it would be nice if they eventually communicated with a loud external speaker, but we already know that would be a long while down the road, if ever, while my suggestion could be implemented relatively easily without having to interface with external hardware and therefore more likely to be added by Wyze in the near future, Most of us have several cameras, so triggering an alarm sound from them all via a button in the app would be far superior to verbally trying to tell an intruder to leave through a single speaker as would be the case for quite some time if we wait hoping they eventually interface with an external speaker instead someday.

1 Like

Based on the new sensor kit the has launched, I was wondering if WYZE could create a wireless speaker capable of solving this issue with the same look as these kits and be fully integrated with the sensor kits such as the light bulb example. I think that would also be able to solve any timing issues.

1 Like

installing several around the home could make it definitely loud enough and if integrated could also be reset via the app after the home owner checks it out via phone or can also be programmed to auto shotoff via app after a given amount of time (10 min)

Or even better different recordings of someones voice or sounds based on different sensor activity:

Get out of the pantry!
Get out of the freezer!
Turn off the stove!
Laundry is done!
Intruder alert(Repeating with sound)!
A basic conversation to make someone thing people may be home when they are not.
Alarm sound or other loud noise!

3 Likes

I think a mini alarm as part of the new sensors would be a great addition. Just received the door and motion sensors and I was very impressed with the quality and size of the units. A little box like the motion sensor with a tiny speaker with a simple tone or selection of preset tones seems do-able to me. Having existing Wyze devices trigger Alexa or Google home feedback / routines would be nice as well.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t mind a panic button feature to go with the alarm, manual access. Maybe a small device similar to a sense devise you can place near you. You could press it while watching the video and not having to navigate screens in the app to initiate the alarm. Scare off intruders among other things

1 Like

I wouldn’t mind making it a separate device so wyze could make some money on sales of the device. Maybe make it a kit like sense. A two pack if you will. A siren packaged with a panic button device. You could watch your cam while events are happening and decide to set it off or not. You may want to use your phone to call emergency services instead of navigating through menus to find the panic button on your phone.(please make it a part of the software as well for non emergency situations)

1 Like

AlfredCamera has a feature where if you detect activity in your home you can activate a very loud alarm to scare intruders away. This would be a great feature for the WyzeCam.

4 Likes