2.41 app Beta Test 3/30/2023

The sound notification feature on iOS is half backed product. I just walked in front of the camera and instead of getting the whole “ringtone” notification, I only got one single ’ding’ that was barely noticeable. Thank God I had the phone in my hand, otherwise I would have never heard it. This is supposed to alert people, not to be hush hush. I wonder who tests this things and who approves them before they go live.

I haven’t tested it thoroughly, but it seemed to me that if there were multiple notifications coming in at the same time that the notification sound could be interrupted by another notification sound, thus causing it to not do the full sound. I would have to test this more intentionally, but I think that happened to me on my Android phone when I first tested it. My front porch triggers more than one notification, and I think they interrupted each other. I am thinking that even notifications from other apps might do the same thing too? That would explain why you only got a single ding instead of the full ring sound. Has anyone else noticed something similar?

1 Like

My recent update was 2.40.3?? and firmware 4.36.10.4054?

I hear you loud and clear, but I am 100% sure that no other notifications were coming through at the time. Taking into account Wyze’s history of botching things in app and firmware updates, I’m going to chug this one on Wyze. I’ll keep an eye on what transpires here as I am not a big fan of the new down the throat sound :slight_smile:

On second thought and correct me if wrong, the new notification sound is coming from somewhere deep in Wyze servers. It’s not local as on my device, so the err would still be on Wyze.

It could actually be baked into the App as well. We do that on mobile apps we developed at work.

I thank you, my friend! :upside_down_face:

I would be fairly shocked if the notification sound file was stored and executed in the cloud as a stream instead of locally stored on the phone storage with the app. It would be crazy to use that much bandwidth to stream a sound for millions of notifications to millions of users all day long. If I was their finance guy, I would be having a stern talk with them about efficiency and waste. Assuming Google and Apple would even allow choosing a streaming sound file as a notification sound.

I feel pretty confident it is stored locally on the phone.

• Fixed a bug that caused the skip forward/backward 30 seconds buttons in Playback to skip hours instead (Android)

Not fixed on cam pan3 , I have two and it skips 24 hrs. forward or back. It works fine on all other v2 cameras

The sound file is usually stored in the app.

Keep in mind this is a beta test, so issues are expected to arise here. Wyze is definitely watching this thread for feedback.

In my experience I haven’t had any issues with the sound, I’m not in love with the extra little note at the end of the sound, it seems a tiny bit long, but definitely an improvement over using the same sound as default notifications.

Yeah, I definitely prefer shorter notifications for texts and app notifications. The concern there is that the shorter it is, the more likely it is match something that others use as well and running into a problem of making it sound like something else (which can bring confusion or potential litigation concerns). But then you can’t make it too long either. Tough thing to decide. Suggestions might be hard for them to take too as someone could try to claim it was then their idea. It something Wyze might have to figure out on their own. Not too high pitched (since older people won’t be able to hear it), and not too low pitched because then it sounds dreary. Glad it’s not my job to pick the sound, no matter what the choice is, there will be lots of dissatisfied users. They’re just going to have to figure out what sound they want users associating with the company and go with it.

I’m not going to disagree with you. If that is the case, why not give us the choice to pick and chose, just like you Android folks can? My guess would be, limitation of the iOS echo system. If that is the case, don’t change it, it was working fine before. I know, some people were complaining but I don’t think they were asking for a forced change, they were asking for a choice.

I hope so, that is why I am voicing my opinion.

See, that is the problem. What is fine for you, is not fine for me. We need to be given a choice, or let it be like before.

Personally, I had no issue with the old sound. I knew that I had a notification, all I had to do is look at my phone. I’m not that lazy :slight_smile:

Yes, this is exactly the reason. iOS has customizability limitations.

It’s primarily based on comments for which this wishlist thread for the last 4.5yrs was intended to represent:

For the most part, people have not liked that the Wyze notification sound blends in with the sound of 99% of all other notifications. Sadly, I think this might be the only way they can do this for iOS users. Android users have lots of different options for this, but I don’t think there is any way for Wyze to make it optional or customizable on iOS. I could be wrong (I’m not a huge iOS guy), but it would be nice.

I wonder if it will be possible to have a different sound for different kinds of notifications/channels in the future.

Hi guys,
How do you get the beta app to update on IOS?
My friend’s shows she is on beta app, but still at 2.40, and no updates avail as of April 2

Thanks,

The Beta on iOS is done through Test Flight and not the App store.

Since they are on Beta, you will need to install Test Flight and then you should be presented with an update.

here is the link which explains it:

Become a Beta Tester – Wyze

2 Likes

Ok, i guess that is new since I had her on Beta without that.
Will do. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I don’t believe the Beta Firmware requires the app. Not 100% sure though as I always have the beta apps. So maybe you had them on the Firmware side and not the app.

In the beta program window, it showed beta app checked for beta at the top,

1 Like

Beta firmware does not require the beta app.

2 Likes