Wyze Thermostat Alexa Integration and Commands

Just hooked up my new Wyze Thermostat and since I have the Wyze Alexa Skill installed tried a few things to see what integration for the new thermostat was available. Some things worked and others didn’t. If anyone knows of a list of the working commands and their syntax that would be useful.

Here’s my findings based on another smart thermostat’s commands.

Update 1/10/21:
#1 If you have multiple thermostats the “thermostat name” needs to be in the command syntax, instead of using the word “thermostat”.
#2 The responses change based on when the thermostat is in Heat, Cool or Auto. Recommend putting the thermostat in “Heat” or “Cool” for additional functionality/capabilities from the Alexa app.

List of Wyze skill commands
Getting the Temperature - Works.
• “Alexa, what’s the thermostat temperature?” - Responds in degrees in .5 degree values.
• “Alexa, what’s the “thermostat or sensor name” temperature?” - Responds in degrees in .5 degree values. IE. 72.5 degrees.
• “Alexa, what is the thermostat set to?” - Response was - “Auto is keeping the temperature between 70 and 75.”
• “Alexa, what is the “thermostat name” set to?” - Response was - “Auto is keeping the temperature between 70 and 75.”
Setting the Temperature - Works.
• "Alexa, set the thermostat to “desired temperature (74)” - Response was - “Auto is keeping the temperature between 72 and 75.”
• “Alexa, set “thermostat name” to <desired temperature - (74>” - Response was - “Auto is keeping the temperature between 72 and 75.”
Increasing / Decreasing the Temperature - Works.
• "Alexa, raise/lower the thermostat temperature by “desired number " degrees” - Worked.
• “Alexa, raise/lower the “thermostat name” temperature by <desired number - (3) > degrees” - Response was - “Auto is keeping the temperature between 69 and 74.”
• “Alexa, increase/decrease the thermostat temperature” - Response was - “Auto is keeping the temperature between 69 and 74.” (basically it lowers it by 2 degrees).
• “Alexa, increase/decrease the “thermostat name” temperature” - Response was - “Auto is keeping the temperature between 69 and 74.” (basically it lowers it by 2 degrees).

List of Wyze Thermostat Alexa skill commands
Cancelling / Resuming the Schedule - Doesn’t work!
• “Alexa, tell “thermostat name’ to resume schedule” - Echo responds about playing music.
• “Alexa, tell “thermostat name” to resume schedule in the “thermostat name” - Echo responds about playing music.
• “Alexa, tell “thermostat name” I’m back home” - Echo responds by making an announcement on all devices.
• “Alexa, set the thermostat to home/away/sleep” - Echo responds by saying “I don’t know how to set to that setting.”
• “Alexa, set “thermostat name” to home/away/sleep” - Echo responds by saying “I don’t know how to set “thermostat name” to that setting.”
Running the Fan - Auto and Off work, On and Cycle do not.
• “Alexa, turn on “thermostat name” fan” - Echo responds by saying " does not support that.”
• “Alexa, set “thermostat name” fan to auto”. - Response was - “ fan is set to auto”
• “Alexa, set “thermostat name” fan to off”. - Response was - “its off.”
• “Alexa, set the “thermostat name” fan to On” - Echo responds by saying " doesn’t support that.”
• “Alexa, set the “thermostat name” fan to Cycle” - Echo responds by saying “Don’t know how to set to that setting.”
Changing System Mode - Works.
“Alexa, set “thermostat name” to (Heat/Cool/Auto/OFF) mode” - Echo responds by saying “Its on (Heat/Cool/Auto/OFF).” Note. While turning the thermostat to OFF works, it cannot be turned back On or to Heat without going to the mobile Wyze app or to the thermostat.

A conversation with Alexa:

• Alexa, I’m hot in the “thermostat name” - Echo responds by saying "Ok do you want me to decrease the temperature in the “thermostat name?” You should say “Yes”, Echo responds by saying “The heat is set to 73”. (Alexa decreased the temperature by 2 degrees.) If the thermostat was Off, Echo says that it was off and asks additional questions. Or if the thermostat was in Cool Mode it would do this for the AC.
  • Alexa, I’m cold in the “thermostat name?” - Echo responds by saying "Ok do you want me to increase the temperature in the “thermostat name?” You should say “Yes”, Echo responds by saying “The heat is set to 75”. (Alexa increased the temperature by 2 degrees.) If the thermostat was Off, Echo says that it was off and asks additional questions. Or if the thermostat was in Cool Mode it would do this for the AC.
5 Likes

How did you get Alexa to find the thermostat? I have the skill, the app and the thermostat working and ready but when trying to find the thermostat through the Alexa app it never finds it…

2 Likes

My Alexa auto-discovered the thermostat immediately when the tstat connected to WiFi during setup

Alexa should auto discover the thermostat and other Wyze device. If the others are showing up, search through the list of devices that are already there, or go to Devices, select the “thermostats” icon and see if it is listed. It may have automatically discovered it during installation and put in a 10 or more digit string of characters as the name before you were able to name it “living Room Thermostat” or whatever. The name can then be changed to whatever you like.

Running discovery after Alexa has already found a device will cause Alexa to say no new devices found, since it is already there.
Another option is to disable the Wyze Skill, then re-enable it and run discovery.

Odd, it was already there for me, with a blue dot indicating that it was a new device.

Had to unlink account and re link to have it detected… Also today Google home app recognized it

Thank you so much for taking the time to document the Alexa commands!

I also found that if you ask “Alexa, show the temperature at the thermostat” on an Echo Show you get a verbal reply plus a screen with the current setting and up/down arrows appears if you want to use the screen to adjust the temperature. The command “Alexa, show me the thermostat” on the Echo Show gets a response that Alexa does not know how to do that.

It would be great if I could tell Alexa to individually adjust either the heat or cool temp - basically saying ‘Alexa drop the heat to 62’ or ‘raise the cool temp to 76’. I live in Colorado and some summer days, the heater and AC may run on the same day so I can’t set the thermostat to heat only or cool only - I will need the auto setting.

Here is an example of my issue: I wake up to a house temp of 62. I hear the heater running and I know it is going to be a hot day so I tell Alexa to drop the thermostat to 62 so the heater shuts off. This automatically lowers the AC to 67 and this is way too cold so later in the day, the AC is constantly running.

Thank you for posting this information. I’m sure it took you a lot of time and effort to do that.
Just got my Wyze thermometer working after paying OnTech $99 to install it. Their installer did a great job even though he had only installed Google Nest thermometers.

My forced air furnace thermometer only had two wires so it would not work with the included Wyze C wire adapter. It was mounted upstairs and the furnace is downstairs which made running a C wire unrealistic. He recommended installing the Wyze thermometer downstairs closer to the furnace and was easily able to run a new cable and connect everything.

No problem controlling it from the Wyze app but I couldn’t get it working with Alexa. Called tech support and Stephanie walk me through that and I was able to use Alexa Through My Echo Dots to control it. I went out shopping and when I came home the thermostat was not working and not connected to anything. I deleted it from the Wyze and re-installed it and now it’s working again. Not sure why equipment but at least I know what to do to fix it.

Also, apparently there is a significant temperature differential between downstairs and upstairs that affects the thermostat so I have to set the temperature higher to warm up the living area. It’s always a learning curve with new gadgets.

Kudos to Wyze tech support (aside from a long wait on the phone) and OnTech for working the problem. The installer said OnTech is owned by Dish Network.

Here is my revised list of commands and updates which also includes the Echo Show.

My Environment:
• Wyze Thermostat Name: bedroom thermostat
• Honeywell Total Connect Comfort Thermostat Name: living room
• Both thermostats set to “Heat”, “Hold”, “71 degrees”, “Fan Auto”
• Echo Show Name: Great Room (first generation)
• Echo Name: Kitchen

List of Wyze skill commands

Getting the “room” Temperature - Audio Response Works but doesn’t display on SHOW.
• “Alexa, what’s the temperature?” - Responds with the local weather and temperature.
• “Alexa, what’s the thermostat temperature?” - Responds with the room temperature in degrees in .1 degree values. “the bedroom thermostat temperature is 72.4 degrees”… Echo Show displays: Nothing*
• “Alexa, what’s the (thermostat name) temperature?” - Responds with - “the bedroom thermostat temperature is 72.4 degrees”. Echo Show displays: Nothing*
• “Alexa, what’s the bedroom temperature?” - Responds with - “the bedroom temperature is 72.4 degrees”… Echo Show displays: Nothing*
Getting the “room” Temperature - Echo Show Visual Display Response “not available or fails”.
○ Nothing - The “what’s the thermostat temperature” or “Show the thermostat temperature” don’t work with the Echo Show with this version of the Wyze Alexa skill. It does however work with the Honeywell TCC skill for the Honeywell thermostat’s, so it would be a reasonable expectation that it could be enabled by Wyze in the future.
○ Alexa, Show the (thermostat name) temperature?" - Responds with - “the (thermostat name) doesn’t support that”. Echo Show displays: Nothing*

Getting the thermostat Temperature Settings - Audio Response Works but doesn’t display on SHOW.
• “Alexa, what is the thermostat set to?” - Response was - “the heat is set to (temperature)” or if in Auto setting…“Auto is keeping the temperature between 70 and 75.” Echo Show displays: Nothing*
• “Alexa, what is the (thermostat name) set to?” - Response was - “the heat is set to (temperature)” or if in Auto setting…“Auto is keeping the temperature between 70 and 75.” Echo Show displays: Nothing*
• “Alexa, what is the bedroom set to?” - Response was - “the heat is set to (temperature)” or if in Auto setting…“Auto is keeping the temperature between 70 and 75.” Echo Show displays: Nothing*

Setting the Temperature - Audio Response Works but doesn’t display on SHOW.
• “Alexa, set the thermostat to (desired temperature)” - Response was - “the heat is set to ” “Auto is keeping the temperature between 72 and 75.” “the heat is set to (desired temperature)” Echo Show displays: Nothing*.
• “Alexa, set (thermostat name) to (desired temperature)” - Response was - “the heat is set to ” “Auto is keeping the temperature between 72 and 75.” Echo Show displays: Nothing*.

Raise / Lower or Increasing / Decreasing the Temperature - Audio Response Works and does display on SHOW.
• “Alexa, raise/lower the thermostat temperature by degrees”. - Response was - “the heat is set to (desired temperature)” , “Auto is keeping the temperature between 69 and 74.” Echo Show displays: A screen with the <desired temperature setting** with adjustment buttons and the current room temperature>.
• “Alexa, raise/lower the (thermostat name)* temperature* by degrees” - Response was - - Response was - “the heat is set to (desired temperature)” , “Auto is keeping the temperature between 69 and 74.” Echo Show displays: A screen with the (desired temperature setting** with adjustment buttons and the current room temperature).
• “Alexa, raise/lower the (thermostat name) by (desired number ) degrees” - Response was - “the heat is set to (desired temperature)” , “Auto is keeping the temperature between 69 and 74.” Echo Show displays: A screen with the (desired temperature setting** with adjustment buttons and the current room temperature).
• “Alexa, raise/lower the “bedroom” temperature.” - Responds “the bedroom temperature is 69 degrees”, the temperature changes in 2 degree increments from the previous setting. Echo Show displays: A screen with the (desired temperature setting** with adjustment buttons and the current room temperature).
• Use of the Increase or Decrease command in place of the Raise and Lower command has the same positive results.
• The Echo Show screen temperature up / down adjustment buttons will increase or decrease the displayed temperature and it will be immediately reflected in the Wyze thermostat.
• Note that on several occasions the display had the wrong (desired temperature setting) and instead had the previous value/setting, but the audio response was correct (desired temperature setting). This appeared to be the Echo Show display software not keeping up with the Wyze skill or vice versa. The Show adjustment buttons actions were based on the value on the Show screen and not the what was said in the audio response. IE. If the verbal command to increase temperature by 2 degrees, with the thermostat previously at 71, would result in the audio response saying that the heat is set to 73, but the Show display would have a screen with 71 degrees. The Wyze thermostat would be set to 73. Pressing up once on the Show would send a command to the thermostat to change from 71 to 72. So beware and rely primarily upon the audio response.

Changing System Mode - Audio Response Works but doesn’t display on SHOW.
• “Alexa, set (thermostat name) to (Heat/Cool/Auto/OFF) mode” - Echo responds by saying “It’s on (Heat/Cool/Auto/OFF).”
• Note. While turning the thermostat to OFF works, it cannot be turned back On or to Heat without going to the mobile Wyze app or to the thermostat.

Running the Fan - Auto and Off work, On and Cycle do not.
• “Alexa, set fan to auto”. - Response was - “(thermostat name) fan is set to auto”
• “Alexa, set (thermostat name) fan to off”. - Response was - “it’s off.”
• “Alexa, turn on (thermostat name) fan” - Echo responds by saying " (thermostat name) does not support that."
• “Alexa, set the (thermostat name) fan to On” - Echo responds by saying " (thermostat name) doesn’t support that."
• “Alexa, set the (thermostat name) fan to Cycle” - Echo responds by saying "Don’t know how to set (thermostat name) to that setting."

Cancelling / Resuming the Schedule - Doesn’t work!
• “Alexa, tell (thermostat name) to resume schedule” - Echo responds about playing music.
• “Alexa, tell (thermostat name) to resume schedule in the ” - Echo responds about playing music.

Changing the Away / Home / Sleep Comfort Settings - Doesn’t work!
• “Alexa, tell (thermostat name) I’m back home” - Echo responds by making an announcement on all devices.
• “Alexa, set the thermostat to home/away/sleep” - Echo responds by saying “I don’t know how to set (thermostat name) to that setting.”
• “Alexa, set (thermostat name) to home/away/sleep” - Echo responds by saying “I don’t know how to set (thermostat name) to that setting.”

A conversation with Alexa: - Was working but now says " that’s not supported yet." So expect to see this coming in the future.
• Alexa, I’m hot in the “thermostat name” - Echo responds by saying "Ok do you want me to decrease the temperature in the “thermostat name?” You should say “Yes”, Echo responds by saying “The heat is set to 73”. (Alexa decreased the temperature by 2 degrees.) If the thermostat was Off, Echo says that it was off and asks additional questions. Or if the thermostat was in Cool Mode it would do this for the AC.
• Alexa, I’m cold in the “thermostat name?” - Echo responds by saying "Ok do you want me to increase the temperature in the “thermostat name?” You should say “Yes”, Echo responds by saying “The heat is set to 75”. (Alexa increased the temperature by 2 degrees.) If the thermostat was Off, Echo says that it was off and asks additional questions. Or if the thermostat was in Cool Mode it would do this for the AC.

"desired temperature setting" On the Echo Show**
The device name in Alexa is “bedroom thermostat” ,but this shows “Bedroom”.
The "thermostat mode is showing “HEAT”.
The thermostat setting is in large font with the up / down buttons next to it.
The “Current Temp 73.5” is the room temperature.

Try disabling the Wyze skill and enable it again. That process got it working for me.