Wyze Sense Contact Sensor - Frame and Door do not line up

I pre-ordered the Wyze Sense without ever taking a look at my doors and frames. I live in an older home (built in 1942) and the frame of the door sits about 1/2"-3/4" further out than the door. Will the Contact Sensor still work in this scenario? Or will I have to find something to put beneath the sensor (on my door) to make the contact sensors line up? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

1 Like

The two contacts do not need to line up exactly. I just put a set on my garage door opener and they are probably at least as far apart as you have and offset by 90% of the width of the sensor. Will take pictures tonight and post.

I am surprised they work. Not only from being offset so much, but separated by the whole house and a concrete block wall. I still show 1 bar of signal strength.

About your separation - The band they are using (915 Mhz) penetrates solids much better than 2.4GHz & 5 Ghz wifi, but transfers less,

explains the fuzzy feeling I get when standing between the 2! :sweat_smile:

It should be a fuzzy warm signal, it’s about the same frequency as a microwave :slightly_smiling_face:

/edit - just a LOT weaker

Will keep my Hershey’s bar away from them!

You guys are funny! All jokes aside, I should’ve been more clear… The space isn’t between the two contacts width-wise, it’s depth. When the door is closed, the contact on the door will sit about 1/2" deeper than the contact on the door frame. Still think this will work?

Give us a picture and we may be able to make a more accurate assessment. But looking over pictures others have posted on their working sensor mountings it will work.

I included a picture in the first post. The door and frame are labeled in the picture, with the door sitting about 1/2-3/4" inside the door frame.

I think it will still work. I have somewhere between 1/16" to 1/8" of overlap between the two pieces of the sensor. I was very surprised it worked.

Will post a pick when I get home tonight.

What would it hurt to try? A little double sided tape? Just hold them in place and have someone watch the app to see if they go open and closed as you remove and replace one.

Sorry, forgot about that.

Hi there. So I had a similar issue and I am wondering if you could leave the tape off the smaller contact portion of the sensor. I had to install the sensor kind of sideways.

I have several door where the door trim is not flat. I will have to remove the installed tape and use my own.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/AicchuGchhagrTZD8
https://photos.app.goo.gl/T2haqG3zMpXieEb77

I was wrong, my sensors don’t even overlap! There is almost 1/8 inch lateral separation an 1/4" vertical separation.

UPDATE: This ended up failing after a day or two. Maybe battery drained enough not to react? Anyway, I ended up hot gluing a wide strip of plastic to the opener and then glued the sensor to the plastic as the sticky backing didn’t hold to the plastic.

Had a similar issue. Just use a small block of wood on the door to get the two two line up. The sensors are so small so you can attach them lower near the threshold so they don’t stick out.
Or if there is a lip on the frame that you can attach the small part of the sensor to the frame without interfering with the door.

1 Like

I initially had the same issue…
Solution…i cut 2 “3m tape disk” in half…then piled them up on one another to make up the depth difference on the door…boom perfect line up.then i trimmed the protruding double backed 3m tape so it looked neat.
I also used extra thick double backed tape to build up the deeper fillspace needed (on the sliding door) then put velcro on that AND the bigger sensor piece…on the doorframe i just used velcro on both pieces.
There you have two different solutions

1 Like

I initially had the same issue…
Solution…i cut 2 “3m tape disk” in half…then piled them up on one another to make up the depth difference on the door…boom perfect line up.then i trimmed the protruding double backed 3m tape so it looked neat.
I also used extra thick double backed tape to build up the deeper fillspace needed (on the sliding door) then put velcro on that AND the bigger sensor piece…on the doorframe i just used velcro on both pieces.
There you have two different solutions

It might work. I think these could be as much as 2 inches apart and still read “closed” or you could do what I did. The frame around my door isn’t nice and flat like yours, so if I tried to mount anything on it, it would not only be far away from the other half, but sitting at a weird angle. So I got a utility knife and carefully shaved away a bit of the moulding until I had a nice flat spot big enough to hold the small part of the contact sensor.

Thank you all so much for the responses. Strangers helping other strangers is what the internet is for! 'll attempt a few this weekend and see what works best and try to update the thread.

1 Like

After reading through all the responses, I noticed a very small lip in between the bulky frame and door. The small piece of the contact sensor is just small enough to fit in there without disrupting the function of the door! Thanks a bunch for all the replies!

Just take the contact sensor in hand and pull the two pieces apart observing the little red light on the main body. Then slowly push them together. By observing the little red light you can see when separation and contact is made. It also isn’t important that the orientation of the two pieces are the same (relative to the sticky back). Again play with it and observe the red light on the main body. This has been my experience at least.

1 Like