Wyze Plug: power cycle on loss of internet connection

It has been stated before that this is not possible because the instruction to turn the switch on or off comes from the internet. Would it be possible to program a reset button using a timer? Something like:
1- Turn the plug off,
2- Wait 15 seconds (If a part of the device is remaining on even while the plug is off, which is what is listening for the turn on signal, I don’t see why a timer wouldn’t work here),
3- Turn the plug on

Ubiquiti has a smart plug now that will auto reboot itself on loss of internet. Check it out https://store.ui.com/collections/unifi-accessories/products/unifi-smart-power

And only 19 bucks.

2 Likes

Tech support sent me here to vote for this, because I’m also looking for the simpler idea of a timer to turn off the power, wait an interval, and turn it back on.

1 Like

This is exactly the feature I was going to create a wishlist topic for.

Looking more at the Ubiquiti plug, I see that it requires a Ubiquiti controller in your network. The plug doesn’t work alone.

1 Like

Son of a weasel! :rage: I was all excited about that $19 solution until I just saw your post.

THANK YOU for the quick heads up!!
:+1: :+1:

You can install the controller on any pc it’s free. I have a ubiquiti power plug at home now and it works as intended.

2 Likes

Awesome - THANKS!!

:+1: :+1:

So just have this on the network when you set it up, sorta like a cloud key, right?

So the controller is like the cloud. Key where you would. Import the plug into. The controller but if. You have a cloud key you can import the plug Into that.

1 Like

I am wondering if a Wemo plug will easily do this as long as there is a schedule already setup in the “Rules” section. For example, turn off at 12:00am and then back on at 12:01am. Or have it do this multiple times per day everyday depending on your needs. I believe the “Rules” on a Wemo plug are actually downloaded locally to each individual Wemo plug and it phones home to the servers every so often to only check/refresh and take on demand commands/pings.

My wife sometimes gets her knee inflamed and we have a medical polar ice device that recirculates cold water from what I can best describe as an ice pack connected to a small ice chest. However, this device’s pump has to rest every so often otherwise it will overheat and occasionally we have to take it somewhere with us where there is no constant reliable internet available. In my experience, as long as the “Rules” were already set it worked by automatically turning off the Wemo plug as needed. However, the caveat here is that I had it set to turn the pump off after the Wemo plug was on after 8 hours using the “Auto-Off” rule. Not sure if a fixed time will work in this case for turning it back on but you could try it and see if it is possible.

The smart plug from a brand that sounds like “toilet paper” can do this flawlessly. You use their app to set a power off schedule. Then add a power on schedule that is 2 minutes later. It does the power on without any internet connection!

1 Like

I had to buy these because Wyze doesn’t offer this feature, and these ones are not really all that great:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Y9DM7DQ/

Would be great if Wyze would update the firmware in the new outdoor plug to also include this as an option.

Sensing internet outage for selectable timeframe it will automatically reset plugs - restart option, where plug would shut off, then turn back on again in a selectable amount of time with no needed WIFI connection to send the on signal.

Thanks for all your great work!!! :smiley: :+1:

Please add your own thoughts, comments, and use case scenarios to add importance to this topic. I’m sure there are creative Wyze users out there that have great reasons to add this that might not have been considered. :nerd_face:

I would definitely want this to be optional, but it’s a great idea.
Don’t forget to vote for your own Wishlist item @steve4335!

2 Likes

This topic already existed on the wishlist and is more apropos for the indoor plug. Therefore, these posts have been merged here.

1 Like

The outdoor plug has functionality built into it to turn on and off without wifi - via the light sensor - i believe this makes it possible to use as i had described in my wishlist topic via a software update, where as the indoor plug does not and could not function in this aspect no matter what they do. That is why i created a new topic, and I still believe it should be its own - to bring attention to the possibility of a software update achieving the functionality vs a new product.

My topic also had a restart option as a separate ask, meaning if it cant sense the wifi and shut down on its own - we can trigger a restart where it would shut off, then turn back on after a given time - possibly on a schedule. Indoor plugs can not turn back on without wifi, outdoor ones can.

I understand what you’re saying. Wyze wants us to consolidate the topics as much as possible for their analysis and consideration. If they work on this and determine that it is more easily feasible for the outdoor vs indoor plug, then they will split the topic apart again at that time.

Thanks for submitting this.

I should of read this before buying a Wyze smart plug.
I only needed this to be able to do auto reboot to my router on a preset time since some of my cameras fall of the router at random times.
So ther isn’t a rule that can be set to turn off and on the smart plug??

I don’t believe so, I would have to test it but I believe the command to turn it on would come from the cloud so the router being off would not allow it to start

2 Likes