Wyze Plug: power cycle on loss of internet connection

Detect internet signal and if it doesn’t connect power cycle the device. This way a modem could be plugged into the device to reset a modem until the network is reset

I’m not sure this is something that could be done in firmware. If not, could be a long wait if Wyze decides to pursue this. In the mean time, such a product already exists (EZ Outlet): https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0792S1DGZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2 Likes

Not sure how easy this would be but it would be a great to have a feature that reboots the plug. Like it turns it off and then 15-30 seconds later it turns back on. It would be great to run a modem and router off it the plug to reboot these two devices when the internet is working but being finicky.

5 Likes

If I could plug a router or other similar “finicky” device into a Wyze plug and have the option to have the plug cut power for a specified period of time before restoring same it would facilitate the most basic remote maintenance of said device. Especially useful when said device is in a remote location, out of reach, etc.

(We can’t use the existing OFF and ON scripting in the case where turning the device OFF also disconnects the Wyze plug from the network, disabling any way to turn it back ON.)

2 Likes

I’m looking a smart plug that can be sent a REBOOT command and turn off the plug, but come back on after a defined time period.
Having logic built into the plug is important here as I would like to be able to reboot my modem or Wifi router, but if I do that, there is no Wifi to tell the plug to turn back on.
I’ve looked and looked and there doesn’t seem to be anything on the market that does this, that ISN’T Bluetooth.
Maybe Wyze could be the first?

1 Like

@doubleg69, See my post above for an existing product that will do this while we wait for Wyze to eventually implement this.

I’m also looking for his feature.
Please Wyze allow for a power cycle feature.
Thanks

1 Like

Sometimes devices get upset and need a reboot, Have a button that takes power from the plug, waits 5 seconds then restores it. You could even reboot the router and cable modem from under the plug to reset it.

2 Likes

I have a router that has a memory leak and needs to be auto-rebooted once a day to be good. We’re talking an outage of less than 2 minutes when the reboot occurs.

I’ve noticed that the Wyze Plugs (I have 8) do not always reconnect. Usually 2-3 of the 8 will then be offline (blue LED blinking). Unplugging and plugging the Wyze Plug in solves it.

Why not implement a small item into the Plug Firmware that if the Wifi is lost for say, 15 minutes, the unit performs a SW reset or something since the reset seems to fix the problem. These aren’t high on-demand real-time devices. So simple reboot/resets that autorecover can go a long way.

This would be trivial in implement in firmware, I’m 100% positive someone at wyze could get it coded in three hours. Just a simple “power cycle” button that turns the switch off for ten seconds, then back on would be incredibly helpful. Yes, there are other devices that monitor internet and such, but these are really handy for power cycling things remotely, and manually. Being able to try to fix a wonky connection by remotely resetting a router would be amazing.

For example, I have several remote sites I am in charge of. If someone’s complaining about slow internet, being able to remotely power cycle the cable modem would be a HUGE help. Right now I could turn it off, but not back on remotely!

4 Likes

Hi. Sometimes the cameras (and many other devices) stop working and require a power cycle. Restarting the devices remotely is sometimes not an option or doesn’t fix the problem. Could you please add a 10 second power cycle to the plug so devices can be restarted remotely?
An example is the internet modem/router. I can normally turn the plug off and on to reset things like my Wyze cams, but if I do this to the plug that the modem/router is connected to, the internet will go off, and the instruction for the plug to turn on cannot be sent. Thanks.

If the plug is already able to be turned on and off with a schedule, couldn’t an option be added for a scheduled off period of only 10 seconds?

The problem is that the way that schedules are implemented, the plug receives the “on” signal from the server, and therefore needs an internet connection to turn back on.

2 Likes

I would love to have this feature. My Internet provider is Frontier and for whatever reason they have a bug in their modems that DNS will stop being forwarded through their device. The only way to fix this is to reboot the modem.

I simple check in the plug could be used to check for DNS response and a quick http call to a wyze server to determine if the network is online. This is how every cell phone and laptop currently works today. There would also need to be a fail safe on this check for legitimate outages. Say the plug power cycles the modem 3 times, after the third try the plug falls back in to this fail safe where it keeps the modem up and only reboots the modem once an hour until service is restored.

The second add on to this feature would be the ability to schedule the plug to power cycle the drive that is plugged into it. This way I can schedule my modem to be rebooted 2 twice a day.

The last item would be the ability to have this device opt out of Google or Alexa’s control. Could you imagine your frustrations everytime someone says “Hey Google, Turn off all the plugs”

If these 3 features were added it would definitely make dealing with my terrible ISP a bit more bearable.

@BlackSheepTxRx,

I too would like to see Wyze do this. But it would likely be a new product and thus we probably have a long wait.

I the mean time, see the EZ Outlet device I linked in post #2 in this thread. It will auto cycle the modem on connection failure. You can limit how many times and how often it tries (although it does not go into lower frequency attempts after so many tries). It can also be scheduled to reboot the modem periodically and does not (as the Wyze plug does) depend on the internet connection to come back on.

I’m not sure I understand your comment about Google/Alexa control. There is no requirement to connect your Wyze plug to Google or Alexa at all.

I did notice the device you linked to and I will be making the purchase for sure, so thank you for this.

My comment around the smart assistant integration is in reference to the fact that once you join the a device to your account that has been linked to Google or Alexa the device is there. So in my example if I were to ask google “Turn off all plugs” the plug connected to the cable modem would get turned off as well. And since you just killed the internet connection you cannot simply ask Google to turn it back on.

1 Like

I am by no means an Alexa expert, but I think you can set up groups of devices and just exclude certain plugs from that group. (And don’t call it “plugs”)

I think there should be a power cycle option for smart plugs. This way, there would be a quick way to cycle the power of a router / modem that it is plugged into.

Cheers.

[Moderator note: This is a merged Wishlist request]

1 Like

Instead of just “on” or “off”, need a “restart” option for automation schedule rules and manual trigger. For those of us that have our wifi or internet modems connected to the Wyze Plug - so we can cycle our internet connection remotely or daily on a schedule.

1 Like

My modem degrades over time and needs a reboot from time to time. The speeds get slow. So a ping to the outside not sure that would work but if I could Schedule a reboot of the plug that would work perfectly.