This is a good tip. I have seen them near the breaker panel as well. In my house, it was attached to a light fixture in a crawl space.
Mine is in the pantry above the door. The circuit that controlled the doorbell also controled the pantry and hall light.
Hi Northplank,
I tend to agree with your theory. After replacing my old transformer with a 24VAC 40VA model, my interior electrical chime still didn’t chime.
I then discovered a chime setting in the Wyze app, mine was defaulted to “None”.
I changed the app setting to “electrical chime”, and now I get a very brief partial ding from the chime.
Not sure what my next steps are. I do have a ticket open with Wyze Support, so I send an update if they have any suggestions that help.
Another somewhat common location is high up on a wall in the garage above a breaker panel.
Did you try changing the seconds for the digital chime setting? I read that when I was searching. It didn’t help me but since you have a partial ding it might help. You could try the mechanical setting too.
Same here Mechanical does not work. As an electrical engineer I don’t see how it can work given there installation. Online support was useless DO NOT BUY if you want existing chime to work!
Idea for those that are having trouble finding their transformer; find out which breaker/fuse cuts power to your Doorbell v2, that will at least narrow down which part of the house it is found in, based on which lights/outlets stop working.
I upgraded the old wyze doorbell to V2. I am having the same issue like you. Even I tried to switch the black and red wire. Not working with any combination. I checked the voltage (20V) by multimeter. Everything is working nicely but not the mechenical chime. I will keep eye on this post. Thanks for bringing up the issue here.
So what is the solution for 16v10va mechanical chime?
I have read all the post
Some people say buy 16v30va
Some say just remove wyze controller, mechanical chime will work
Some say their suggested wiring is incorect, rewire some things to transformer/chime and will work
So which one is it?
I can only verify two options.
- I removed the Chime Controller and my mechanical Chime worked. However I was concerned about not using this WYZE provided controller.
- I bought a 16V 30VA transformer and replaced my 16V 10VA transformer and with the Chime Controller my inside Chime functioned.
- I believe in any scenario your units should be wired correctly.
The new transformer might work but I believe their controler is marginal on sensing the button push.
Removing the controller works for some people. For most, the chime will vibrate or partially activate due to the camera drawing some power through the chime coil. The controler prevents the buzzing.
Their wiring diagram is correct. But it is possible in a single doorbell home that the transformer and button wires are reversed at the chime terminals. The chime will still work but the wiring instructions will appear backwards but actually it is the home wiring at the chime. Make sure your transformer chime terminal actually goes to the transformer and make sure the ‘front’ terminal goes to the wire the leads to the door button. Or just try swapping the wires, it should not cause harm.
Bottom line: install a 16V30VA transducer and also install the Wyze controller per their instructions. This keeps the chime from vibrating and getting hot and probably failing before too long. It wasn’t designed to sit there and vibrate forever.
Hi All,
I want to check if anyone has 2 mechanical chimes(with one Wyze doorbell V2) and got this to work. The 2 chimes are 1 - each for upstairs and downstairs.
Fortunately, I already have a transformer 24V and 20VA which works well with my current smart doorbell(LaView) in a two-chime set up and I plan to continue using the same for the new doorbell.
My Wyze doorbell V2 is expected to be delivered tomorrow. In preparation for the installation, I have been reading the posts and the overall consensus seems to be using an upgraded transformer(16V and 30VA) and not necessarily using the chime controller.
Would appreciate any guidance/experience you have based on your setup/purchase.
Thanks
If I eliminate the chime controller, my chime hums. I haven’t tried the chime controller with a more powerful transformer yet. I was hoping to not have to buy one.
Unfortunately, that is your only option left is to upgrade to the 16V/30VA transformer.
In my personal case, my builder spec Nutone mechanical chime operates just fine WITHOUT the Wyze Controller. I only get single 1 second delayed “ding” after the physical button press but otherwise works just fine and no humming/buzzing either. I had my 2 previous Ring Doorbells hooked up in the exact same manner without any type of controller and never an issue either. Indoor chime has always worked.
What Nutone model do you have?
I was the first person to reply to the OP on this issue, and now I have experienced other issues that have me really concerned.
-
Halloween night we had our candy at the ready, house lights on, and could hear kids running about outside, but not a single ring at the door. I looked at the app and to my Halloween Horror saw many snapshot events of kids at the door all dressed up for a treat, yet no doorbell ring. I had previously set up and successfully tested Alexa to handle “Chime” duties.
-
So, I jumped up and went out to test and nothing. Alexa integration was no longer working!
-
After multiple attempts, I Disabled the Alexa/Wyze integration and went through the process of enabling it, again.
-
Tested and nothing. Repeat process. Finally, got it to work again. Satisfied, went back and sat down. Heard lots of Trick or Treater noise but no rings from Alexa! What in Gobbler’s Name is going on?
-
So, I just left on the Wyze app and sound and used that to make sure the house wasn’t egged or worse!
-
About every fourth or fifth “ring” Alexa/Wyze integration would work and we’d get a “chime” notice.
So, now I am wondering if any of this Wyze doorbell stuff works other than quick and high quality video connection.
Anyone else having Alexa/Wyze integration issues with this doorbell?
Correct. The WCC white wire is not connected to anything; I’ve just tucked mine away.
That’s interesting. After reading your post I decided to go back through my doorbell camera SD card video from Halloween night.
We have the mechanical chime working, as well as the Alexa notifications enabled.
First, the best that I can recall, we got Alexa notifications every time the mechanical chime went off. There was a half second or so delay between them, but I just attribute that to latency in the cloud.
Second, in reviewing 2½ hourse of SD card video, I could not find a visible instance of trick or treaters pushing the doorbell and nobody coming to the door to give them candy.
So Halloween was a good test for this.
I think your issue could be on the Alexa side. Historically, for me, Wyze notifications have been more reliable than Alexa notifications. The Wyze notifications on my Android devices are nearly 100% reliable, while I notice that notifications to my Alexa devices (3 Dots and a Show) sometimes miss. Maybe once out of 20. And when an Alexa notification is missing, it’s missing on all Alexa devices. And it’s not just Wyze notifications on Alexa, it’s other stuff to, like package delivery notifications from Amazon and other stuff.
So, for me anyway, my issues are usually with Alexa and not Wyze. Amazingly though, I was not able to identify a single missed notification for either during Halloween night. Don’t know if any of this helps.
p.s. Even though we didn’t experience any issues, one thing comes to mind. On Halloween one would expect a magnitude increase in doorbells be pushed. For smart doorbells (all brands) integrated with Alexa, this is going to massively increase the amount of notifications processed by Alexa. I don’t know of many other times of the year when so many doorbells are being pressed so many times in one night. This might have taxed Alexa, similar to a DDOS attack, LOL. Just a thought.
Did anyone know that if the Wyze Video Doorbell v2 does not have Cam Plus, it will have a 5-minute cooldown period during which it will notify any doorbell presses?