Wyze Cam v3 Pro Firmware Beta Test 1/18/2023

I tried what @nhawk mentioned, and I was able to get the “bricked” v3 Pro to connect to my iPhone as a hotspot if I used the “more compatible” setting and tried the setup (without removing the existing camera entry) using a beta Android Wyze app (since connections failed if I used the same iPhone that was supposed to be the hotspot). The cam reconnected and other than changing its name to the new one I assigned, it remained in the same group with all of the same settings that it had before the upgrade. The firmware version was successfully reported as being the latest one.

I then tried the same process, but I tried re-setting the camera up using my normal, non-hotspot network. Connecting failed twice. So it seems there is something about the setting of my original network that the latest beta firmware doesn’t like?

Same issue here, updated (2) Pros and now they are dead. Trying to setup as new with the setup button fails to connect to Wifi. Haven’t been able to get a solution from support so far. I have some bricks.

If you don’t have another AP or an extra phone to use as AP, you can bring the cam to public WiFi and try to upgrade them there (once there’s a new firmware or a method to downgrade).
Or ask a friend to start WiFi AP on their phone, while you setup the cam on yours😉

I’ve learned my lesson, no more beta for me

Wow…
I upgraded 15 units with bulk update.
5 failed the first time the rest went fine.
The 5 went just fine after clicking on the retry or whatever button, bulk again.
All 15 working fine.

BUT, 30 second skip ahead or back on SD card playback doesn’t work at all now.
It was messed up to begin with, but now no workey at all.

1 Like

30Sec back, went back 13 hours
30Sec forward, went forward 11 hours (hours is not a typo)
I’m on the beta firmware.

1 Like

Any other official response from Wyze on what we should do?? Or are we just supposed to live with these bricked cams until it’s figured out?

The new beta firmware update apparently can’t handle the security setting on the network being WPA2/WPA3 Personal, after changing my security to only WPA2, both my V3 pros are connected now. Even though the update indicated it had failed and no longer would connect, after this change, they connect and show the latest firmware update.

6 Likes

That’s weird, because my v3p’s are connected to an AP that uses WPA2/WPA3 Personal. I guess I’ll just call it good luck then. In fact, based on the less-than-stellar reviews by others, this recent beta update has been the only experience with the v3p’s so far that’ve made it possible to stream 2K resolution. I had to use “SD” for the longest time. This is good information to have though in case something goes wonky with my v3p’s and I’ll change auth mode to WPA2 only.

2 Likes

The Netgear Orbi is setup to use wpa2/3, while r7000 is wpa2, so that could be the reason. Nice sleuthing @rsumpy99

3 Likes

I confirm, my network was on WPA3-Personal+WPA2-PSK[AES] and by changing to WPA2-PSK[AES] only, both cameras came back online. Please fix this asap!!

4 Likes

Connected via TP-Link EAP610 managed via Software Omada Controller, all AP’s are set to run WPA2-PSK/WPA3-SAE mode with no issues. Is this a “combination” issue where particular vendor/chipsets + auth mode configs create the perfect storm for problems?

1 Like

Well, something else nice to report!
Either the firmware fixed it, or, the servers got an update or setting change.
But the webview livestream now works and works great, faster than the v3s did!

3 Likes

Ugggh. That annoys me. Back to the less secure methods. It works, so it is what it is. I had wondered about that earlier but I thought there no way that could be a problem… after all my router wasn’t WPA 3 only. Sigh.

I wonder if they’re working on supporting WPA 3, and this firmware tries to connect that way but there’s a bug and they can’t connect properly.

I’d love it if that were the case because at least it would mean we’d be getting WPA 3 support at some point. That would be worth some teething pain (so to speak) in the meantime.

1 Like

Good find!!! This solved the issue and brought the Pro back (I’m happy it’s not bricked)

3 Likes

Mine is tp-link AX11000 and WPA3-Personal+WPA2-PSK[AES]. Only when turning to WPA2 did both v3 pro was able to connect again.

2 Likes

I have forwarded all the info on to them along with the security settings some are changing to get them back online so that we can get them fixed.

6 Likes

Turning off WPA3 on my network also allowed the cam to connect again. Hope this is fixed soon regardless

I bought my 1st V3Pro Dec the 8th 2022. That camera had Nov 2022 firmware. So I updated the firmware to Dec 22, 2022. Still err code 09 playback issues. Support couldn’t figure it out after several calls. The very first call to support said that this is a common problem with the V3Pro camera. So they sent me another one. Updated firmware to Dec 22 2022. Same error code 09 playback issue. So several calls to support. No luck. So they sent me a 3rd one. SAME EXACT PROBLEM?!?!. After talking to support several more times. I was told no worries we will be handling this matter over e mail. I was told this so many times and NOTHING is done! Like the times I had to explain that I am a disabled person with no access to a printer. So I asked if Wyze would please send me a return label so I can send the defective V3 Pro cameras back. They said sure we can do that no worries. No return shipping label . I had to call back 4 times about no return labels being sent. . Finally I said . Look can I just hit the camera with a hammer and take a picture of it or just throw it away? Wyze let me do that 2 times and now I have the 3rd replacement and I’m still waiting for e mail solution after 24 hours. I also read some reviews on the V3Pro camera. They sure are hard to find. I have discovered that Wyze tends to put products out before the firmware is stable. I have over a dozen Wyze V3 cameras up and running so I’m very familiar on trouble shooting Wyze products. I have wasted at least 5 hours of my life and I have learned to NEVER buy new products from Wyze. Always wait until the firmware is matured. This camera deserves to be called the Wyze Cam V3 Beta Pro. I bragged to my family about Wyze. I even bought 4 V3 Pro cameras and other Wyze products to give out as Christmas presents. I have yet to see how those cameras are doing. I hate to think of the time consuming NIGHTMARE it will be calling Wyze support on each of those cameras! LESSON LEARNED! Stick with the regular V 3 cameras. I was so much looking forward to the 2 k resolution from the V3 Pro. What a big disappointment!

The problem with turning off WPA3 is two fold. First of all, security with WPA2 is decreased as compared to WPA3. Depending on what products you have connected, that might not be a relevant issue. However, regardless, when you turn off WPA3, pretty much all newer Apple products that connect will complain about an insecure connection. They will still work, but they will also warn you that you have weak security.