Wyze app v3.0.0 takes over my phone and locks me out

Since the Wyze app was upgraded to v3.0.0 (519) on my Android 11 Motorola phone it takes over the phone and locks me out. It puts the app in sort of an exclusive mode where I can’t access the rest of the phone. The navigation buttons disappear and so does the system status bar.

I can work around it by going to the Account menu and choosing About. For some reason that unlocks the Wyze app. Another way to unlock it is to take a screenshot. Either of those ways will restore the navigation buttons in the app and let me go back to using the rest of the phone.

Also, if the Wyze app was used recently like in the last few minutes and I unlocked it using that trick I described above then if I switch out and switch back to Wyze it remains unlocked. I use the app daily and never once had this problem until I was upgraded to version 3. It has been a problem since the very first day of the upgrade.

Here are two pictures. In the first picture you can see what it looks like when the Wyze app locks me out of using the rest of the phone. In the second picture you can see what it looks like when I use the trick to unlock it. The second picture is what it should always look like. Wyze app should not be taking away my navigation buttons.

Hi @pinecomb , are you able to submit a log through Account → Wyze Support → Submit a log, and provide us the log id? Our developer will take a look at this issue. Thank you!

3 Likes

Ok. The log id is 1526205.

3 Likes

Lots of things do that - especially games. My drone app does too. Just swipe up at the bottom of the display and the android navigation bar will re-appear. May take a couple swipes (the drone app usually does).

3 Likes

So can someone please fix this? It been a huge pain for several weeks now.

Does @K6CCC 's suggestion not work for you?

No that doesn’t work for me. I shouldn’t have to do that anyway. The app should not be taking over the phone.

The way you phrased that suggests to me you may not have tried it. :slight_smile:

Pioneer: When I cross the stream my pantlegs get wet.
Pioneer AI: Consider rolling up your pantlegs 6-12 inches before crossing.
Pioneer: I shouldn’t have to do that. Can can we not lower the stream instead?

I hope you don’t mind some good-natured kidding. If you do, say the word and I’ll delete it.

3 Likes

Ah. Yes I tried it and no it does not work!

1 Like

You didnt mention so i am going to ask, did you delete and reinstall the app? I would delete the app from your phone, restart the phone and then reinstall the app.

Have you tried updating the app one more time atleast? There is one more app version since the one you listed in the OP. If you reinstall the app, the newest one will load.

I dont have a motorola phone but i wonder if they have a setting to keep the app “on top”. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

Likely not this but I’ll toss it into the mix, Android native ‘app pinning’ (kiosk mode.)

3 Likes

I am now using the latest version v3.0.5 (558). Here’s what I have tried since your post and peepeep’s post. I disabled app pinning, no change. I logged out, uninstalled the app, rebooted, installed the app same version, logged in, no change.

Since reinstalling the app an old bug has resurfaced where the ‘Person’ option in event fliters does not stay checked.

Device: Moto G Power (2021)
Wyze App: v3.1.5(569)
Log ID: 1514022
Log ID: 1589167

The Moto G Power has a problem that started two app updates ago.

Where when initially opening the Wyze app, the app takes over the phones screen.
• Swiping Up/Down does not regain control.
• Device App Pinning is off.
• App was uninstalled, restarted device, reinstalled app, same effect.
• App will not return control after selecting any of the apps bottom icons, Home, Events, ect.

App will return control;
• After device is put to sleep mode, then reopened.
• After navigating through several app menu selections.
• After selecting a camera Live view or event video.

It’s annoying to need to take the several extra steps to take back control of the device/phone.

1 Like

I’m not sure how you arrived at that conclusion, and I don’t think it’s accurate. My Motorola moto g7 from 2019 is running 64-bit Android 10 and doesn’t have any apparent problems with the v3x app. I don’t think @browndwz would get the app to install at all—much less launch—if the phone in question was actually running a 32-bit OS.

I agree on the face of it, especially after reading @Seapup’s post in another topic. I imagine that at least part of the decision is driven by OS providers deprecating 32-bit versions of their OSs, and I do think that makes sense for long-term sustainability, though Android (Go edition) is 32-bit only and has versions that are currently supported, so in my mind the move to abandon development of a 32-bit version of the Wyze app seems premature.

1 Like

Sorry if I misspoke. I could have been living with a faulty belief. I will retire for the evening.

1 Like

No apology is necessary, but I appreciate it. I just didn’t want someone else to read that and get the wrong idea. I think this speaks to the point I was making in the other topic about how Android itself doesn’t make it easy for a user to determine whether or not he or she is running a 32-bit or 64-bit version of the OS. There’s so much variation still out there that I think there are good arguments for Wyze to continue to release a 32-bit version of the app.

FWIW my phone is a Motorola G Play phone from 2021. So maybe there is some incompatibility between the Wyze app and phones of that generation.

1 Like

:thinking:

That’s an interesting piece of data. It makes me wonder if those phones used a different (not the Android stock) launcher and/or if there’s a setting that your phone and @browndwz’s phone share (maybe in Moto Actions?) that doesn’t play well with the new Wyze app.

Do those 2021 phones include the Moto app like my 2019 phone does? You could check Moto Actions in that or perhaps go poking around somewhere like :gear: Settings ➜ System ➜ Gestures. I haven’t experienced the issue you’re describing, so I’m just speculating on where I might look. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

There is some motorola app I think but I never use it. None of the special options in gestures are enabled except for 3 finger screenshot, so I disabled it, rebooted and tried the Wyze app again but there’s no difference, the controls are still missing on start. I’m now using Wyze App v3.1.5 (569). I’ve submitted a fresh log 1591038.

1 Like