Wyze 3-Way Light Switch

I thought the Feit ones sold at Costco worked that way (no smart switch slaves needed, with the main one only being replaced). And screwless covers seem to work on mine as well.

1 Like

My comment was about 3 and 4 way switches

Not just 3 way.

and stop making switches with the stupid thick plastic mount tabs. Wyze switches should fit and install just like a traditional switch so it will work with any cover or size box.

ah, gotcha - yeah great points.
If they could develop a 4-way switch like you explained that would be awesome. I would be in need of a couple myself!

1 Like

GE 3pack of 3 way smart dimmers $40

Metal tabs too. no cheap thick plastic. works w any switch cover.

1 Like

people donā€™t understand what a 3 way switch means

3 Likes

I have a lot of the Lutron Caseta (super reliable and high quality, not very smart) dimmers, and for a 3 way switch they take a very diffrent approach. Rather than having 2 diffrent models to support 3 way, they use a tiny battery powered remote that fits in a normal switch footprint, and looks like just another nornal switch from outside, that connects wirelessly to the mains switch. Then you can have 2 3 4 5 however many you want switches absolutely anywhere. They come with a wall plate and little brackets to mount right into the drywall.

This could be an idea for a multi purpose smart button as well :wink:

1 Like

I really only want the smart/wifi light switches. I have everything connected through Alexa and itā€™s incredibly useful, esp when we travel (less lately, but usually quite a bit) and the Wyze monitoring and Alexa turning lights on and off to simulate activity in the house.

I have an Alexa routine for ā€œall lights onā€ which is great when your wife hears a noise at 2 am. ā€œAlexa, All lights onā€ and everything outside and on the main floor turns on.

3 and 4 way capability is incredibly necessary.

2 Likes

3 way and toggle switchs for 4 way can be wired and programmed to work with the Wyze single pole switch. I just did it easily. You will need Wyze single pole switches in all positions. Connect one load to the light (you will have to figure out which existing switch is connected directly to the light and which wire). Connect all others to power only (carefull to get the right wires, and you might have to pass power to them via the extra wire that is not used now). Then apply a rule on the switch connected to the light to turn off if the light is on and one of the other switches is pressed, and turn on if the light is off and one of the other switches is pressed. You do not need to program the other 3 press types to do this allowing them to still be used for other purposes. Youā€™ll need two rules at a minimum for each switch not connected to the light.

4 Likes

Can you draw a diagram for a 3 way and a 4 way circuit with this setup?

Also, does this work if wifi is out?

1 Like

wyze
One possible configuration where the power comes into one switch and the light is connected to the second. Top is the Wyze wiring configuration, the bottom is the original 3-way switch configurationā€¦ The first switch (the one with no load connected) will only operate the light when the internet/wifi is working and the Wyze rules on the second switch are defined properly. The second switch will always turn off/on the light.

2 Likes

Similar connections for the 4-way switch wiring. The red of the 3 wires between switches will not be used as before. The top is the Wyze configuration which is much simpler now. The bottom is one possible original 4-way configuration with red/black/white wires between switches. I have a 4-way hall switch with two of the center (4-way or toggle) switches, I just repeated the center switch wiringā€¦ Again only the Wyze switch connected directly to the light will work without internet/wifi. The other switches will again need off/on rules applied the the switch connected to the light.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s pretty slick that you figured all that out.

Iā€™d still rather Wyze come out with a bona-fide 3 and 4 way setup

And hopefully they are much shallower than the current switch. They really donā€™t need to be so huge.

3 Likes

I really wish Wyze would create a 2 and 3 pole light switch instead of just the single pole. No switch in my house is a single pole.

6 Likes

What rules are you configuring to make this work. Both switches will be powered but the device triggers will cause them to flap if you set them up to simulate a 3 way in my experience. Maybe I am just doing it wrong.

3 Likes

Iā€™m with you on this. I have it setup as mentioned above but canā€™t get rules to fully work from all switches because it does a on/off/on/off a few times before getting it right each time I press.

1 Like

Who would have thought Wyze is slagging on 3 pole switches. Its a no brainer. I have installed many Wyze light switches thinking it wont be long before a 3 pole will be available. Now Wyze is putting this on a voting wish list, Common, Iā€™m keeping track of 30+ Wyze devices, I dont want another app on my phone to manage other companies switches.

Would it be possible to make your switches thinner? Sometimes its very difficult making them fit.

3 Likes

Up until yesterday I would have suggested just using Alexa to manage your multi vendor devices, as I do, but things have gotten more squiggly than usual in Alexa land. I can now control some of my Leviton switches but not all of themā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™d like the ability to pair switches to control lights in two different locations. For instance currently I have two spot lights on the back of my house that turn on from two different location. Iā€™d like to put a Wyze switch in both locations and pair them together so if I hit the switch at one location it turns both switch on and vise versa. Also the possibility to single click for one location on/off, double click for both locations on/off. Thanks in advance!
PLEASE read How to Use the Wishlist (link above) and search BEFORE POSTING. If your submission is approved, donā€™t forget to VOTE for it.

2 Likes

I would also like to see a 3-wat switch, dimmable or not.

3 Likes

I would also like to see a 3-way switch, dimmable or not.

4 Likes