Who uses the Wyze Car? Is it worth getting?

But aren’t all the ports only for V2’s?

I would buy in a heartbeat if I could control the car at home from anywhere.

As I understand it, the car uses the camera’s WiFi hardware and creates its own SSID, which the driving app connects to. This of course means that the driver must be in WiFi range of the car…

Maybe we could let the camera connect to the home’s WiFi, then to the Wyze cloud server as normal, and we could send driving commands through the regular Wyze app…? There’s be some latency issues I’m sure but if NASA can fly a helicopter on Mars we should be able to drive a small rover here on Earth!

3 Likes

Interesting. I wonder how much weight the car could carry. Wondering if I could put a portable, hand-sized battery with usb ports on it, and lay a panCamV3 on it, but tilted up enough so it could turn. On the other hand, I do have a pancamV2. Those things are double the size of a regular cam and might hit the floor joists. That’s why I thought of slanting the pancam somehow so it could get a better view and not hit anything.

The car requires a V2 fixed-view cam for control, but the power bank that powers the car/V2 is one that has multiple output ports. Two of them are USB Type As, which standard Wyze power cables will plug into. So you use one port to power the car/V2, and one port to power your cargo cam, the V3 Pan (or whatever you choose).

It already carries the power bank as cargo, so you are only adding whatever 2nd camera you choose. It doesn’t have to be a Pan camera; for a crawlspace a fixed-view V2 or V3 would probably work fine on it’s back.

The car’s fixed-view V2 always faces forward and is used to drive the car.

2 Likes

Thanks. Are you saying that it also comes with a V2 cam? I was under the impression that it was the car only.

You have to already have a v2, or purchase one. The car doesn’t come with a v2.

I’ll grab my car later and take some pics to show the connections. There’s 2 usb plugs on the car. One plugs into the v2 camera, and one plugs into the battery pack.

The battery pack itself has extra ports, so you can power other devices while the car is in use.

2 Likes

Ok, that’s what I’m understanding now. Thanks. Well, I ordered one last night. I do have a V2 cam that can be used with it, as well as a V3 that’s not being used at the moment (now that I already captured a mouse being caught).
I won’t need it to go over sticks and stuff, so hopefully it’ll work out. I’ll try it under the house. I’d like to get some fun videos with it visiting the chickens, and maybe outside birds on the ground (something different to put in my YouTube channel). The battery is supposed to have last up to 2 hours.

1 Like

You hope. Can see it now, car sends you message about some unauthorized hitchhiker in it’s bed. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

Ha. There won’t be room cuz I’ll have a V3 in the back.

Hello, I also had hoped to use the Wyze Car for subfloor inspection. But, when mine gets more than 40 feet away from my cellphone it disconnects and will not reconnect by getting closer again. This makes it worthless for the intended task. I’d have to go retrieve it crawling on my stomach.

Another pipe dream was for inscripting its mobility for stealth views at the drug dealers and bums that steal mail and packages in front of the house. Wrong! It’s way too loud and would be stolen itself from where it would give away its hidden location.

It’s just a cheap, fun toy.

2 Likes

That’s good to know, thanks. This little house is probably only about 25’ wide, so it won’t be going far. And I won’t be going the length of the house either. Just under the kitchen and bedroom. This house is only 800 sq ft, but I’m only planning on having someone put insulation under part of it for now.

3 Likes

Yes, the less the radius from the entry point, the better the chance of a dependable connection. As another benefit, as an aerial drone enthusiast, it’s helpful using the Wyze car to sharpen one’s skills in 2 dimensions using its camera to avoid obstacles, maneuver and observe before tackling 3 dimensions. Have fun.

1 Like

Well, I got the car today and hooked it up a little while ago. I am SO disappointed. It drove on and off my back porch (down the ramp). It did drive on the gravel, but it won’t drive through the grass.

Which one did you get from Wish? I have gotten things from them before. I was looking on there but wouldn’t know which one would work.

Major bummer for you. I never tried it any further than my hardwood floor and carpets. Of course there it works fine. It’s good to know what you encountered and have posted it here for others to consider.

Did you put it in sport mode? I’ve never tried in grass, but I think sport mode has more power?

Yes, I first had it in the other mode, then sport mode and it didn’t make any difference. Maybe it’ll work better after the grass is cut shorter but if it won’t work on country grass, it most likely won’t work in my chicken run where all the straw is on the ground. I don’t want to try it under the house either. It’s just bare dirt under there but there are also little ruts and dirt clumps.

You could tie a long string or cord to it in case it does get stuck under the house for retrieval.

Ohh good idea haha. Hadn’t even thought of that

1 Like

It was a few years ago, and was given to a relative.

Heck, go to WalMart. Any of their RC battery cars will run circles around the Wyze car.
Again, I considered doing a ‘Tim the tool man Taylor’ rewire, but am not proficient in modifying RC cars.
Sorry you had to learn the hard way. Can you return it?