What is the minimum voltage required on Wyze Cam V3 Pro?

I recently bought a Wyze Cam V3 Pro to replace one of my V3 which is located outdoor under the eave.
First of all, I did the setup inside the house with the power supply 5V 2A included with the Cam, Once done and working as expected, I replaced the V3 by the V3 Pro and it started blinking red/blue non-stop. So I looked at the voltage at the camera and was reading 4.36V and 0.32A.

Note: I wanted my cam to be power by UPS so I did it like that:
UPS → 5V/2A Wyze Power Supply → USB to Ethernet adapter → Cat5e 25ft cable → Ethernet to USB adapter → 20ft USB cable → Wyze Cam V3 Pro

So I returned inside the house and tested voltage right after the power supply:

At that location, the Cam was working fine.

Then I tested just before going outdoor, after the ethernet to USB adapter:

Again the Cam was working fine.

So it’s only outdoor were the cam refuse to connect to Wifi while the V3 works just fine. I am using Plume Superpods as Mesh Wifi at home and did not have any issues with other Wyze Cam V2 or V3 so far. So the question is: do you think voltage it too low outside to make the V3 Pro works? Or is it just a Wifi issue?

1 Like

Yes, the voltage is too low

1 Like

Do we know what is the minimum voltage required for the V3 Pro?

According to the USB Specification Revision 2.0, the operating voltage of the USB ports must remain in the range of 4.75V to 5.25V

I run all my V3’s at 4.85-5.15 and have no issues at all using 12 volt to 5 volt regulators at the cameras instead of the Wyze USB adapters.

I bet you are using a “Long USB Extension Cord” with the voltage drop of 4,36

Better solution than a USB extension cord… <---- This link shows a non-voltage dropping solution.

Wyze cams power source with Battery backup <------ This link shows my setup with one power source for everything and battery backup

2 Likes

Here is one more reason I prefer my setup rather than the cheap Wyze USB Adapters

*Not my burned up adapters, other cutomers had these experiences…

2 Likes

Most of those flaming people exposed the indoor-only adapters to outdoor moisture.

Running higher than 5 volts to the adapters and converting it there in a waterproof solution is a good way to go. Even if you run 120V most of the way – but not outdoors without protection!

Another trick is to measure the outputs of your adapters under load, and pick the one that puts out the most voltage. I recently found out the Wasserstein WOC adapters are actually tuned higher for voltage, pre-anticipating the voltage drop of their 25-ft cable. So if you have one of those, give it a look. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks guys! I will modify my setup using your recommendations and will update this post when done.