Camera Voltage

My wife and I have been Wyze cam users for years now and have recommend them to friends and family. The only drawback to me, the husband, is the annoying power cord from outlet to camera. I would like to hire an electrician to install low voltage USB outlets where we want to mount the cameras around the house. I just need to know the voltage required for the cameras to operate correctly. (The print on the “cube” transformer is too small for my aging eyes). :grinning:

It’s the standard USB charging voltage, 5V and low amps, I believe, same as the output of any phone charger.

Hardware stores and Amazon, have replacement outlets that have USB ports. You can ditch the power brick that comes with the camera and plug it directly to the USB port.

As @qlang243 mentioned the cameras operate on standard USB voltage (5V). The Wyze Cam v2 requires 5V @ 1A, the Pan Cam requires 5V @ 2A:
https://support.wyzecam.com/hc/en-us/articles/360031128132-How-much-power-do-the-Wyze-cams-use-
You can use any USB charger as long as it meets those requirements, so outlets with built-in USB ports work as do most newer phone chargers. If the USB charger itself is the problem you can shop around for just the right style/shape/color elsewhere, but if the USB cord is the issue then running power through the wall is certainly one way to eliminate that.

1 Like

@CharlieDog
The Wyze help article on the topic is somewhat misleading.
The USB power unit (5VDC) that comes with the V2 camera is rated to supply up to 1A. However, the V2 camera only draws about 330 mA in ‘day’ mode (with the IR LEDs off). When the IR LEDs are on, the current consumption increases to around 430 mA. (I’ve measured it). Thus, the little Wyze 1A supply has enough capacity to power two V2 cameras daisy-chained one to the other. Or even three, barely, if they all have the IR illuminators disabled.

Likewise, the USB power unit that is supplied with the Pan Cam is rated at up to 2A. However, the camera draws less than that, depending on whether the LEDs are on. Of course, current draw increases when the motors are operating.

3 Likes

Yes, actual power consumption by the cameras is much less, but in the context of power supply ratings I would stick with power supplies that match the supplied/recommended power output. The cameras will only use what they need, so using 2A power supplies for everything won’t hurt.

1 Like

Remember, if you add a Wyze Sense bridge, it increases the power draw of the cameras. This is also true if you daisy-chain regular Wyze Cams. Also, it is not recommended to daisy-chain the Pan with anything. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Why is it suggested to avoid daisy chaining Pan cameras? I don’t, but am curious about this.

Three reasons:

• The V1s and V2s have a 1.0 amp power supply, and the Pan has a 2.0 amp
  • A USB cable plugged into the back of the Pan would interfere with its movement
  • The two motors in the Pan, in addition to the mainboard, draw much more power than a V1/V2 alone does. (There have also been reports of Pans not working properly with Wyze Sense Bridges due to the the motors drawing too much power)

There was at one time a statement on the support site saying daisy-chaining Pans was not supported, but I can’t find it now since they re-vamped the support pages. All I could find was this. I’m going to bring this up with Wyze.

https://support.wyzecam.com/hc/en-us/articles/360031127292-What-is-the-purpose-of-USB-port-on-back-of-the-camera-

2 Likes

Quite true - using a 2A (10W) 5volt USB supply won’t hurt. Using a 4A (20W) USB supply is also fine. But a single V2 camera only requires a 1/2A (a bit less, even with the IR LEDs active).

The OP indicated interest in having an electrician installing USB outlets around the house with which to power the Wyze cameras. Such outlets typically have 2.4A (or more) USB supplies, and should work just fine. One of my V2 cams is powered with such a receptacle (a Leviton, with dual Type-A USB jacks)

3 Likes

Ah, yes, the infamous twisting USB cable if connected as a daisy chain on the Pan. Thank you for the reminder.

1 Like