V3 Killing SD Cards

I needed to view a playback on my V3 however when I tried viewing it said no Card. it had a card, and I viewed playback a few weeks ago. I reinstalled it and still no card. I put a new (working on computer) card in and tried format I got format failed . I tried again. same thing. I tried anopther new card, same thing, I pulled a card from a camera that was working and tried a format same thing. I put each of those cards in a reader and plugged into the computer- all are now no good, 3 wouldnt even work at all and 1 showed 7 gig. These cards are PNY, Samsung, and Sandisk.
Any ideas how to fix Both the V3 and/or how to recover the SD cards?

Also Dont you think if a card failed while in the camera the app would have some kind of notice/warning? even it was only a small red X in the corner of the video.

That is weird that you are having so many problems with SD cards. I use Samsung and Sandisk in 40 cameras many of them V3’s and have had some running for 3 years. I haven’t experienced this.

For recovering the cards, you could try to repair them with a scan. Sometimes it will ask you if you want to scan and repair it when you first put it in, otherwise you can open an explorer window, right click on the drive with the SD card, select properties, tools, error checking, then Repair Drive. This should help fix it. Then format it again.

One thing you might want to try instead of regular microSD cards is buying a “high endurance” micro sd card. Those are made for extreme constant use of security cameras.

1 Like

Thanks, but 2 of those had been in that camera and another for a couple years, the other 2 as I mentioned were new. The sandisk was ( and apeears to be no longer) the higher endurance. Which is why I’m at a loss. I cant see how its the cards. Not 4 of them. It some how must be the camera hardware or something weird with the formatting.
Currently I cant even get the computer to recognize the 3 cards as even existing to do anything with them, the 4th ( showing 7 gig for a 16gig card) I will try the repair drive on.

I’ve observed the same thing in 3 v3 cameras recently. Also noticed there are 2 different firmware versions on my various v3 cameras. We’re the memory cards you had failures on 64gb or larger?

I am having the same issue even in my V2.

The tin foil hat in me thinks they disabled SD card playback. I can see the events fine, but when I go to view it on the SD card through the app like I always do, its says there is nothing.

Formatting didn’t help, I rebooted and it will work for a little bit but its not reliable.

Are these standard SD cards or High Endurance?

I had several SanDisk SD cards fail, so I called support. Once they found out they were in Wyze cameras, they declined the warranty. I asked why, and they said the regular cards are meant for intermittent access, like a point and shoot cameras. He said even dash cams continually write to the SD card.
Once I bit the bullet and bought new High Endurance cards for my many cameras, I have not had a failure.

:raccoon: :raccoon: Recommended. Of course the Possums like SanDisk High Endurance cards.

the Original one that failed was a 32, The new high performance was a 32, the one from another camera that was working when I pulled it and immediately put it in this camera was a 128 and another New card was a 64 - And just to review, these cards are failing as soon as I try to format them in the camera, it says “formatting” for a little bit then Format failed and then the card is Dead, even when moved to a computer.

So after a lot of testing, controls, and sacrifices “so many sad sd cards” over 3 year’s experience i have determined what is going on. First sd cards failing over time. Sd cards have on average a 500 cycles for cheap ones and up to 10000 on the best ones “thanks to linus techs tips”. At the worst thats 7 years and best 140 years right? No that is until completely failed semiconductors not a minor block failure and that’s were i see the cameras glitch. They run a kink of error correcting thing were they will format the sd card at the reported amount. This ends up causing a failed format causing block sectors to be a non formatted. I found a way to fix this but it requires the windows disk driver utility. The next thing is environment and keeping things clean. If you have ever used these things outside" i have 7 outside" they run HOT. Feel one on a cool night and if it can warm your hand imagine having that during the summer. Sd cands can run -40 to 180 but not for long after it’s 100F+ outside and the thermal difference to the camera is 30F. Thats 130F and anything that small will not last more than a year or two if your lucky. That last thing is dust funny enough. I have not been able to clean theses thing without tearing them apart so they like to collect dust like a vacuum cleaner. They start running hotter at best and if its humid then forget about it. My best recommendation is get some cheap sd cards when you need them. Don’t stock up because i have noticed i use more if they are sitting around. And for some reason 8gb last longer than 32gb, im still trying to figure that one out.

I dont get a few things in this statement, I dont understand what you are saying about it being 100f outside and the “thermal difference” is 30f making 130f-- it almost sounds like you are saying the heat the camera makes which is LOWER that the outside temp still gets added to the outside temp making it hotter that the outside temp? I hope Im misunderstanding that in a big way because putting a 32degree icecube in a 100degree frying pan will not make the frying pan 132degrees… and as far as dust goes, I also find that very hard to believe because mine seems pretty well sealed. I have them out ( 25below zero to 100 throughout the different seasons) in full rain and snow which I think would seep in much easier than dust and I dont have problems with water… and a recommendation to use “cheap” sd cards doesnt make sense either most Cheap cards are not good for video and the real cheap chinese cards are actually fail much more often becase they are lower capacity cards forced to a higher format ( such as 32gb make to look and work as a 64gb or 128gb ) – in the many years I have many cameras I have only had 1 card fail, and that one I had previously used in another device.

Years ago I had issues with SanDisk SD cards failing. A call to tech support revealed they are not rated for continuous use, only for intermittent use like point and shoot cameras. Once I switched to High Endurance SD cards, there have been no issues. The outdoor cameras were subjected to -2F temperatures last winter, and 103F on a hot summer day in full sun.

SanDisk makes a high endurance card. 128, 256 etc. Do you recommend SanDisk for this or another brand altogether?

@KateH

Yes. this is the SD card I have in every camera.