Unreliable detection zones

It has been windy lately so I set up a detection zone on one of my V3s.

I switched on motion tracking as well.

Trees that were in the dark grey area were still triggering events and notifications as shown by the green motion tracking square - this should not happen should it?

Also, there is a distinct decrease in sensitivity in the area not blanked out by the grey area. I have seen birds on Tinycam on a monitor that would normally trigger an event but no event is triggered when detection zone is switched on.

Unreliable - useless!

3 Likes

Show us a video example. Green box motion tracking is totally separate from alerts. it is a preset level, separate from your preference level. It will also show up in undefined detection zones. And you are using Tinycam, which I have no experience on what passes between the two.

2 Likes

I am using Tinycam just to monitor the video stream - I’m not sure how it would affect the operation of the events in Wyze.

It also happens if the tablet is switched off.

The green motion square is showing it had detected motion in the trees that are greyed out.

1 Like

You can’t get more convincing than that, @WyzeJasonJ,

1 Like

That is definitely frustrating when detection settings aren’t working as we intend.

I watched the video on a monitor, so I may have seen motion a little more easily than when viewing on a phone, but in the video there was some movement in the detection zone in the following areas:

The arrows are the ones with fairly significant motion. I don’t know what sensitivity level is set on the camera, but I do know that this much movement would trigger most of my cams unless maybe I turned the sensitivity level pretty low. But there are things we can probably do to help.

It is also worth mentioning that it seems that sometimes the detection grid we see in the app is actually slightly off from what we view in the visual User interface We have seen that when some people view it in iOS vs Android or portrait vs landscape view the detection zone borders seem to change. Lots of examples of inconsistent detection zone boundaries are illustrated throughout this thread:

So, I always recommend to people who aren’t using the AI to detect things that they don’t just black out to the EXACT area they want blocked out to the line, but if avoiding false motion detection is extremely important then you should black out an extra area around it to give it a buffer, then add sensitivity adjustments in and it will resolve the majority of false motion detections.

In this particular case, I would definitely black out the tree above the roof that I circled in the upper right. I can understand being hesitant about blocking out some of the other zones with circles in them since they are important for detection areas…maybe sensitivity changes can help with that a little bit. It might require some testing.

I highly recommend reading through the following thread that outlines a very similar problem as what is being reported here. There is a lot of helpful information in there about how to test for what the cause is and figure out the best solution between the zone and sensitivity:

I hope that helps in the end.

I do think these reports/posts from users are helpful. Someone from Wyze should at least look into making the detection zone grid match up 100% of the time and be reflective of the actual detection zone implementation (see the beta thread linked to above…last I checked, there was still a slight discrepancy when viewing the grid between different platforms, indicating it’s not showing us correctly on at least one of them)

5 Likes

Didn’t realize Wyze’s grid-UI was so fraught. I really prefer Arlo’s drag your rectangle zone setting (it’s tricky on a small screen but more fine control than little boxes) and then allowing multiple overlapping zones with different schedules. [e.g. A sidewalk zone may be off during the day but from 10pm-6am its turned on]

So I support reworking the detection zones and making more improvements.

@carverofchoice

Thanks for the comprehensive explanation and help with seeing motion that I couldn’t see on my 6 inch phone screen.

I will change the zone to cover those areas and test them with my cat as he always walks the same route!

I will also tweak the detection sensitivity after changing the zone area.

Thanks again.

3 Likes

You’re most welcome. I hope it helps. I’m sure it won’t ever be perfect, but you can make adjustments until you find what works best for your particular situation.

At my last house I had to do this same thing until I found just the right settings…and it was never 100% perfect because so many other things can affect it, but after a lot of trial and error with adding and removing detection grids and changing sensitivity up and down a little, I figured out a reasonable solution that worked well more often than not and definitely WAY better than it ever used. I hope you are able to get a similar result. Also, if you have an SD card in it, at least you will always have the option to manually review anything if something does happen that you know you really want to go back and review.

Now I use Cam Plus on most of my cams, so I don’t have this problem as much as I did back then, but having gone through this before, I like to save you and others time with what I learned so we can hopefully reduce your frustration a little. :+1: Best of luck!

1 Like

The problem I have with CamPlus is that anything with four legs is tagged as a pet which is no use to me as foxes and cats are both tagged the same and we have a problem with one particular fox attacking cats. It really needs shooting but in the UK that is not an option and it is too clever to go into a trap!

I will keep adjusting the detection zone and sensitivity - it would be nice if the zone was saved if it is switched off to save having to completely set it up again when I next need it

Thanks again

1 Like