Unbricking Wyze Contact Sensor - pcb reset pin

Oh great, well that helps…

I was perusing an old thread and came across a post by a Wyze employee about resetting a door sensor.

It worked on one of my problem ones, so I thought it might be worth a try for you folks:

The interesting trick was pushing the reset button 3 times while the battery was removed?

Well I did get one to pair, but then it did not work properly (open and close with magnet), so I deleted it and never could add it back. Oh well.
No matter what I do after replacing the battery it blinks twice.

3 Likes

i have the exact same issue, i tried everything to make it pair/work and not happening. I have multiple cams so tried with all of them…no, not working… so dissapointed :frowning:

I have some bricked contact sensors which flash when a battery is inserted but never connect with the sensor bridge. I assume these are the ones which report a 00000000 MAC address. I have several more bricked contact sensors which don’t flash at all when the battery is inserted. I assume these have more significant problems than the MAC address. All sensors worked properly at one point.

I tried using the method posted above which required the use of a sensor bridge with firmware version 0.30. That didn’t recover any of the sensors.

I also tried using the other method posted more recently which entailed pushing the reset button three times. I tried the three presses both with a battery in and out (the battery out method doesn’t make sense since the sensor won’t detect any reset button presses when it has no power). This method also did not recover any sensors.

I think the technique mentioned above by stanwebber is the only real solution (GitHub - sycophantic/wyzeback: A way to unbrick Wyze Sense sensors). And that requires the user to spend $30 + $5 shipping on a debug kit. But if you have several bricked sensors or anticipate them becoming bricked (as everyone reasonably should), then it may not be a bad investment.

I also tried using the other method posted more recently which entailed pushing the reset button three times. I tried the three presses both with a battery in and out (the battery out method doesn’t make sense since the sensor won’t detect any reset button presses when it has no power). This method also did not recover any sensors.

Kind of makes sense, the goal here might be to discharge any capacitors in the circuit.

I went through all 7 defunct contact sensors, and was only able to recover 1. I went ahead and put the working one back into service to see if it would maintain connectivity. It is a shame there is no way to recover any of these. The secondary market for sensor kits on EBAY has gone way up in price too (close to $40 shipped)!

precisely, whats making this difficult is we have no schematic from Wyze to help us figure out which capacitor is keeping this powered

I don’t think it’s a problem with a capacitor… The MAC is being corrupted which probably means the sensors are erasing/re-writing a block of flash memory that contains it. It shouldn’t. If that’s the case, the only real fix is for them to rewrite how the firmware works.

That certainly was not a cure… A 'cop out’ is a more apt description

btw I tried the press 3 times idea mentioned above as well, it doesnt work.

I was thinking about all my Wyze Contact Sensor “Colleagues” today when my battery ran low on my TILE Pro.
I removed the protective cover off the back of a new Energizer CR2032, and it tested over 3V, so I felt confident (I had another new one just in case)!
I removed the battery cover on the Tile, and saw the generic CR2032 in there, and thought, do I really want to do this?
My stomach was churning as I popped out the old CR2032 battery, and thought to myself “will this device ever work again”? Well, it was a non-event, all is well !

This really helped, thank you!

RottBite2020 I think its only human that some customers express their frustration with a product that doesnt survive a low battery event. The product was not marketed by Wyze as a use once / disposible. Tens of thousands of contact sensors were sold. People invested time, modified their houses, wiring to integrate the sensors into their homes and garages. With a firmware update Wyze can make its bridge talk to these ‘bricked sensors’ just like Home Assistant can.

2 Likes

FYI, I have attempted to unbrick a contact sensor by grounding the reset pin for up to 15 seconds, with the sensor powered up, I was unsuccessful. I have a sensor that I’ve removed from the housing. Used my Panavise to gently hold the battery in place, while using a fine test lead to ground the reset pin. No flashing, no nothing. Tried removing the battery and replacing, nada. Etc.

Just gotta wait for the new hardware, and get Wyze to own up to this problem with V1 sensors and cut us a break on the new ones.

may I ask everyone here to click on this wishlist topic i just created and vote for it, to increase its visibility to Wyze engineers, maybe it will get us a little closer to getting that firmware update , thanks

I agree! I wasn’t being sarcastic although looking at it now I can see where it may look that way… ugh!

Is the original “from the factory” MAC address still in there somewhere? Is it getting overwritten during power-up to 000000000000?
Even if you had the CC1310 launchpad to “fix” it, where would you get the correct MAC address to program in? Is it printed on the back of the board (that faces the plastic cover)?

The sensor’s address is printed on the back of the sensor housing. It’s an 8-digit hex number which matches what you’d normally see if you went into Settings > Device Info for the sensor. Preface-pad the number with zeros.

2 Likes

Thanks!!
If it had been a snake it would have bit me!
I had to wipe off where I wrote “BAD” with a sharpie over that area (like I did on all of them).
In the app (if you are lucky enough to have a working one), the MAC address starts with:
“2CAA”
I would assume those 4 characters preface the 8 character suffix on the back of the housing?
Thanks again!

1 Like

2CAA- are the cameras. The sensor addresses are labeled “Sensor MAC Address” in the app. All of mine start with 77 and are 8 digits.

1 Like