Unbricking Wyze Contact Sensor - pcb reset pin

This comes thru the app months before issues. :slight_smile:

I put Buzzkill on my phone and set up a rule that if any notification from the Wyze app has the word ā€œbatteryā€ in the notification, donā€™t allow the notification to be swiped away. Then it pins the notification for me and I have to tap a ā€œDismissā€ link which ensures I never accidentally miss a Battery notification.

1 Like

carver, are you talking about Wyze lock battery notifications? As I have never got a wyze V1 sensor low battery notification in android. This is corroborated by greymoment in this weekends post;

I just very recently told Buzzkill to pin ALL battery notifications from Wyze, so not limited to a certain device.

I have definitely received low battery notifications for the V1 sensors in the past and even very recently within the last few weeks. Within the last month or two I have replaced the battery on at least 3 units and did receive a notification for each of them.

If this has stopped then it is a bug that was introduced very recently and should be reported. Or maybe notifications were turned off or something? IDKā€¦I can only tell you that I have received notifications for V1 contact sensors low battery alerts from at least 3 different devices very recently. Usually I ignore them for a couple of days and they just kept sending me messages until I replaced it, so I got multiple notices from each. Though I think on all of them I have the ā€œNotificationsā€ turned on, and then just turn off all the options under it (ie: Open/closed, etc) as I assumed if I turned off the main notification toggle that I might not get battery notices. That is why I was saying that maybe they had notifications toggled off and thatā€™s why there was a difference? Just guessing. It would be good to know!

I receive open/close notifications for the sensors , but not battery notifications. Are you using groups? my sensors are grouped.

its funny how i dont have any probs receiving notifications like this

1 Like

I have some grouped and some not grouped.

Now that you mention it, I think I remember something a long time ago about grouped sensors not sending battery notifications for some reason. That must be the problem.

1 Like

as greymoment has corroborated in his observations, the low battery notifications for contact sensors are not working properly. Not having those notifications means the sensor will eventually end up bricked.

Surely this is / should have been a priority bug fix !?!?

maybe Wyze can look at the code used to push these notifications
they are displayed with no problems

1 Like

I just voted for the email/IFTTT wishlist. Though, I am thinking the main issue is notifications in groups.

The reason I think this is because I have had several V1 sensors recently tell me the battery was low, and they told me MANY times (not just once) until I made the change. I think the ones in groups might not be sending notifications, but I know definitely that the ones not in groups are sending notifications.

I have not yet had to replace any batteries in the V2ā€™s so I do not know if there are notifications with the V2ā€™s or not.

If the problem is with those sensors in groups, I am guessing Wyze just might not really be aware of this. We should report this in the Fix-It-Friday event so we can get a response and updates on progress.

I think itā€™s just something not really known, but Iā€™m becoming more convinced that the problem is ā€œgroups.ā€

1 Like

Thanks for the vote, yes IFTTT for low battery in a contact sensor would be even more convenient, Wyze already added IFTTT support for the outdoor cam, so why not add it for the contact /motion sensors (which brick if they remain with a low battery) ?

1 Like

My v1 sensors are grouped and they repeatedly send low battery notifications until battery is replaced. I just replaced the battery on a v1 contact sensor today.

1 Like

Interesting. I wonder why some people arenā€™t getting the notifications then.

I definitely get them on my ungrouped sensors. I get them all the time.

You are getting them on grouped sensors (I might also be getting them for grouped sensors, but I havenā€™t really paid attentionā€¦most of the ones I have grouped are ones I rarely to ever use or think about).

Is your notification setting toggled on for them? Maybe thatā€™s whatā€™s needed? I always leave the main toggle on even if the sub-toggles for open/closed notifications are toggled off.

1 Like

Perhaps difficult to distinguish audible from other notifications and then swiped away?

Yes, main and sub-toggles. Also have DND exception enabled for WyzeMessage channel.

1 Like

Since this has come up recently, I thought Iā€™d show that I have been getting low battery notifications for one of my V1 contact sensors all day today. Itā€™s named ā€œSiren Silenceā€ because if I open or close that sensor it triggers a rule to silence ALL the sirens.

I think I got 4 notifications about low battery from this V1 sensor today. So I am definitely getting them. Not sure why others arenā€™t. That is really weird.

1 Like

Maybe if there were a toggle for low battery notification, it might work. This is my setup.

Wyze guy posted:ā€œThe MAC address is printed on the sticker on the back of the device and is easily recovered,ā€
Are we sure about this cause the only good sensor I have left that paired to the wyze app and under device Mac in the app doesnā€™t match whatā€™s on the back label. I it even seems to be a diffrent format.

Well, if you mix-N-Match your back covers thinking it does not make any difference, then yes, they will not match!
I am not sure what you are referring to about a different format.

1 Like

And that is why only an idiotic company of the first order would dream of putting MAC addresses on dumb pieces of plastic like mounting plates or battery covers, smh

Seriously, who does that?

My last one just died. This whole thing just pisses me off to no end! Itā€™s not expensive, but to me itā€™s the principle. A company should not be allowed to profit off of junk then not want to support it. Just wow they hands clean of any responsibility. :rage:
Curious, had anybody started any class action against this thieving company? They should have been made to pay all of their customers for knowing about the security issue that that day on for 3 years without addressing. May be some of you were compensated in some way, but I was not.
I gotta research how to get a class action started.

V1 Motion Sensor went offline this week. Could not add sensor back to the V1 Bridge after removing it. Turns out that the mac on this MOTION sensor is now 00000000. I thought this only happens to the CONTACT sensors! The battery voltage was 3V and I was never notified by the app that the battery was low.

V1 motion sensors and contact sensors have the same problem you mentioned. And unfortunately the v2 sensors have what appears to be the same hardware design other than the power supply being modified to use AAA batteries, so they may be susceptible to the same issue.

The V2 sensors no longer use button cell batteries, so their battery life is much longer. I have had one V2 motion sensor and two V2 contact sensors in service for over three years (and many others in service for less time than that), and they are all still working on their original batteries. One of my V2 sensors just reported low battery for the first time about a month ago, but the battery level has read ā€œnormalā€ ever since with no more low battery warnings. But I am definitely concerned about premature death if the batteries ever do die.

Regarding the fact that the battery voltage was 3V on your failed device, those button cell batteries will often read a normal voltage when tested with a volt meter, but even the slightest power draw will cause the actual voltage to drop significantly. I experienced that phenomenon many, many times when trying to figure out what was going on with my huge collection of v1 sensors. Put a 35mA load on the battery (similar to the bootup power draw) when youā€™re measuring the voltage with a meter, and the voltage will drop well below the 2.7V needed to keep the motion sensor working properly. And when that happens, the MAC address problem you experienced can occur. A horrible design.