SD card not recording motion

V2 Cams (12 of them)
Firmware 4.9.3.58
Plug-in 1.5.77
SD Sandisk 32g Class 10
“Event Detection”- Detect Motion (on). Push (off). All Day. Detection 100%. Detection Zone (off). Local Storage (on). Record Events Only.

When I connect to cam and go to “Events” tab, all 12 second motion events are captured.

When I select “View Playback”, there are no videos present, even when I expand the timeline to the max.

I have read many posts in this forum, but see no answers to this issue. I read that a few think it was the SANdisk brand that might be at issue, but I have reformatted those cards within the Wyzecam App and still have the same problem.

Let me say I love these cameras and the system as a whole. I’m a long time user, and there have been connection issues in the past…but recent software updates have completely eliminated those problems. Great work by the Wyzecam team !!

Would sure appreciate some help with this one !

I have found, at least with my cameras, that I have to wait a little while when I go into playback before I actually see the videos in the timeline bar. I have also seen where the app will give me an error (can’t remember what it was), and when it goes back to the timeline bar, I’ll see them as well. How long do you wait before going back to Livestream in the app? Try giving a little more time, and see if that works for you, too. Hope that is helpful.

2 Likes

Well, that solves part of the problem. You were correct…it seems that the videos are all there but not until I go back about 8 hours or so. But when I zoom in and move the start bar to a little into the beginning, nothing happens. All of the “action” icons below are grayed out. If I hit the “pause” button it switches to the “play”arrow. If I hit that, it says “operation failed”.

Ideas ??

Hmmm, I’ll have to go play with this a little bit on my own cameras to see if I can reproduce the error. Meanwhile, please keep in mind…

This forum is primarily a user to user community. If you don’t get a helpful reply here, I suggest you contact Wyze Support for more help. You might want to go ahead and submit your ticket now as there is somewhat of a backlog. If you end up getting the issue resolved before support contacts you, then you can always let them that it’s already resolved.

Will do, Bill…I appreciate your help. Let me know if you discover anything else.

1 Like

I would think of replacing of replacing the MicroSD card with a new one. I recently did this for my daughter’s camera which was acting wonky with videos and after I replaced the SD card it worked as intended. They are not that expensive and it eliminates that as the problem.

Crispy…

I might try that, but I have 15 cameras…times $10…a little pricy ! But thanks for the suggestion.

$6 a piece here. Class 10 / UHC 1 Amazon.com

1 Like

Oooh, that’s a great price. I paid $10 for the same cards in Sept.

@jthoclc

I am collecting some info on similar issues. Can you check something for me? When you format the card in camera, check the “SD card memory available” before and after formatting. Before formatting, do you have a low number (eg. 1.x GB) available out of 29.x GB? The camera may report “formatting complete” but afterwards, it still says 1.x GB available. If the formatting was really successful, it should show 29.x/29.x available (IOW, the card is empty).

If you are seeing the same low available space number after formatting, then I believe your card is damaged and will not be able to be formatted even on a computer. If you want, you can remove the card and try to format it using the tool here:

I think you will find it report errors and fail to format. In this state, you can copy off what’s still on the card, but cannot format the card or write new data to it.

Let me know if this is what you’re seeing. This is what I’m trying to track down.

Rick…

Well, this was a most interesting exercise ! Findings were:

1. I discovered that of my 15 cameras, 10 of them had 16GB cards. Only 5 had 32GB. All were as previously indicated, that is SanDisk Class 10. All of my newer cams had the 32GB, and my recall on the 10 older units was incorrect. I had thought I had installed the 32GB cards in them as well.

2. When performing a new format with the WyzeCam App on all 15 cards (in camera), the 32 GB cards all reset to 29xx/29xx. However, every one of the ten 16 GB cards reset to less than 1xx/14 as you predicted.

3. I then used the SD card format link/tool you recommended on several of the 16GB cards, and both got to about 90% and then I got a “Format Failed”, again as you predicted.

4. Since being re-formatted, the five 32GB cards are now performing as they should. That is, I can go into the “View Playback” and they are recording and viewable.

Questions:

1. What would make 10 brand new SanDisk cards become permanently “damaged” ? Hard to believe that all 10 brand name cards purchased from Amazon would all be faulty ?

2. Why do the 32GB cards work when the 16’s don’t ?

1. This is exactly what we’re investigating and trying to determine.
  2. It’s not limited to 16GB cards. My failed cards are 32GB. It’s got to be something else.

I look forward to what you find. Thanks, Rick.

1 Like

The thing I would check with those cards Is if they are genuine or counterfeits.

I bought 3 @ 16gb SD cards for my 2 (getting my 3rd as a sleek black one hopefully this Fri.?) wyze V2 cams.

Got the cards from an eBay seller. 2 Of them failed a Windows format. (Got a refund)

So, the 3rd I popped in my cam without pre formatting it & it works fine.it

Had to resort to this, after the original installed 64gb card caused Cam issues / problems after the Oct. Firmware update.

I hope to know more before ordering 3 new 32gb cards for longer recording of “motion detected” events.

I buy SD cards directly from brick-and-mortar stores now, after being burnt with bad cards in the past.

If anyone has bricked SD cards, Wyze is wanting to collect the physical card for the analysis. Post back if you want to contribute and I’ll connect you with how to send them in.

My apologies to @Loki! I wasn’t trying to imply there isn’t an issue. I was just saying it helps me avoid getting bad cards for ANY of my devices that use them by buying them that way. I for one appreciate all the time he’s taking to gather the info. :smile:

1 Like

No need to apologize @DreadPirateRush… it’s good advise regardless.

1 Like

Rick…have ordered 10 replacement cards…happy to send you my 10 bad ones…let me know how to do that.

1 Like