SD card not found on my pan cam

The cam that briefly gives me “cannot read” followed by playing the event was activated around 1.5 years ago. The one that gives me (now fairly consistently) the “no sd card” was a warranty replacement that was installed in March of this year.

I know the original one did not always have this problem, as I would have seen it back when I was toying with having notifications enabled on it and using the various screens etc. But since I probably haven’t done that in a long time, hard to say when it started.

But given that
Latest 2.5 and 3.0 app both have the issue
Latest firmware has the issue but at least one older one doesn’t
Multiple users have reproduced this.

At least points to firmware and not server side or something, but who knows, maybe some issue with authentication between newer firmware and the server on that particular screen. But seems like Wyze could narrow it down pretty easily at this point given that we’ve found some pretty specific things.

For me, not a big deal, though I am glad to know if I for whatever reason end up on that screen, my SD card/camera isn’t actually having an issue.

It does seem like cams activated before a certain point give one error (and in my case it goes away pretty quickly) and ones after give a more severe error. So maybe something to do with the activation process, but the fact that there is some sort of error even on the older ones says it at least isn’t just the activation process. And the fact that doing basically the exact same thing from another screen works fine, really starts to point more to software/firmware. I can’t let go of the fact that the screens that work have an icon that says “sd card” and the one that doesn’t calls it “playback”. Coincidence possibly, but it is a distinction.

Who knows, mostly just guesswork and theories.

@tlhutch4 on the event screen when you have a still frame (either when tapping a notification or going to the events tab), does tapping the play icon below the image work? Instead of the playback SD card icon at the bottom. When I tap the play icon, it asks me to subscribe, so I’d think if you’re a subscriber, that should play back the cloud event. May be a suitable workaround for now (and if you need full SD card access just go back to the main camera and hit the SD card icon there)? I’m not sure how things work when you have both SD and a subscription, just guessing since mine asks me to subscribe when I try to hit the play button (or tap the image itself).

To all, good points.

As a data point I installed the 1st of my 3 around December 2024. The other 2 approx a month later.

@dave27 if I understand what your asking

When I goto Events > Camera name it autoplays the Event. I can hit play and it replays the event. If I hit the SD button it immediately gives the no SD message.

Whats making me nervous is it seems we are each seeing slightly different things.

Yes, the current workaround is don’t use Recent Events to look at SD. (I didn’t even know you could do this). Instead go to a camera view and click SD.

With the pending release of 3.2.0, I doubt this issue will get top billing. And there is a work around.

I’m guessing that fix it Friday may be the only recourse at this time (bare with me. I’m a newbie to fix it Friday)

Part of the difference is I don’t have a Cam Plus subscription so that play button doesn’t work for me, as it plays the cloud event (which I don’t have). I’m thinking @tlhutch4 may not have seen/noticed that option, but not sure.

? Was I sleeping that long? :thinking:

2 Likes

I don’t have the Pan Cam V3 but rather the regular V3. The issue is happening to me to and is quite frustrating. I’ve tried formatting a new card with the SD Formatter from sdcard.org but the same issue is happening.

I two other V3 cam’s running the same firmware but the issue doesn’t happen to those other two cameras.

Is this firmware related? I bought my current V3 cam from April 2024 so it’s still under warranty. Should I open up a ticket although this situation has been reported a few times already?

Thank you in advance!

Yes. It would get more eyes on the problem as this is a user-to-user support forum. You need to let Wyze know about your situation.

1 Like

Hard to say if it is the same issue. Are you able to view the card if you go into the camera live view, then tap SD card there? If not, it is a different issue (this one only impacts the events tab and notifications) and possibly hardware failure.

1 Like

I’ll open up a ticket thanks!

1 Like

When I’m in Live View the option to click on the SD card is not there. Do you have a screenshot of what it’s supposed to look at? I’m currently on my desktop.

Thanks!

I don’t know if you can view SD card from the web view or what it looks like since I don’t subscribe to that. I’m talking about in the app itself.

I’m in the app and I don’t see an option to view it from the Live Stream.

Keep in mind I’m using a V3 and not the Pan Cam version. Not sure if that makes a difference. :frowning:

v3 and Panv3 use the same interface.

When you open the app, first tap a camera to go into it (you can’t do it from the home/favorites page). Right below the live stream in that view, there is an icon for “SD Card”.

Would you be so kind as to post a screenshot?

I only have the “View Playback” button on the bottom.

Long day. 2023😜

3 Likes

Popping in to confirm I have the same issue with one of my two PC3’s.
Still fully functional: Activation date 1/21/2024, FW 4.50.5.0587 Sandisk Extreme 256
Loss of Fucntion: Activation date 04/29/2023 Same firmware, Same Disk

I let the symptom ride for over a month, so onset would have been August 2024. The SD card formerly was saving event snapshots. I pulled the card and inspected it, popped it in the laptop and the file system checked o.k. I formatted it via linux and then again once it was in the camera via the app. The app displayed functional video recording after this, with about an hour of video having been recorded, but could not be retrieved. I found a post mentioning high endurance cards due to the intensive writing process. I formatted and installed a brand new Sandisk High Endurance 256gb, then formatted with the camera. Same performance as was noted with the former SD card.
This morning, I have performed a hard reset on the camera and both formatted via the camera and formatted via the laptop. The SD card is now refusing to be visible to the camera despite checking OK each time it is removed from the camera.

This camera is recessed above my front porch and is not subject to water intrusion or wind. The plug was firmly in the SD card slot and is highly doubtful to be a source of contamination.

I have not attempted to roll back firmware, and I have not power cycled the camera.

I’m relatively certain this is an issue with the firmware and the hardware set for the TF card reader utilized in this particular HW set/production run. I have not tried smaller partitions schemes at this point, but it looked as though many sizes of tables are experiencing the same issue.

The issue in this thread is a bug with the events view screen only (SD card can be viewed fine from the camera’s interface). Your issue sounds more like the SD card slot on the camera is dying (assuming the new SD card you got isn’t faulty, since if you take the new card out of the mix, it sounds like classic symptoms of a dying SD card). Did you validate the new card to make sure it is genuine?

Forgive me, I must not have been able to read the title… or the URL address…

And no, I haven’t gone down the rabbit hole of genuine VS non genuine cards as this doesn’t appear to be an issue with the card(s).

I also find it hard to tolerate the notion that the camera randomly suffered a HW failure within days of having a software update, which has also been noted by other users.

If you read through this thread you’ll see the OPs issue only happens when they try to access the recording from the events tab (or by tapping the notification) and it works fine when going through the camera live view and tapping “SD Card” there. Several others including myself have been able to reproduce that bug. It does appear to be firmware related but it is just a glitch with accessing it that one way. It also seems to impact cams registered in 2024 less than ones registered in 2023, yours is the opposite it seems (though that symptom hasn’t been totally nailed down/isolated so it may not be part of it).

If your SD card is not working at all from any view, that’s a different issue. I would definitely use Samsung’s utility to confirm the card is legit. Barring that, seems like a possible hardware failure.

Can you please quote where tlhutch4 indicated this? I only saw a “probably”.

I will start my own thread and see how long it takes to be merged with this one.

I have found that in my particular instance, there is a difference between the error MicroSD card not found and SD card not accessible. I have the latter issue, via any means of access. It doesn’t matter which of the 6 cards are inserted. Still frame events are accessible.