SD card not found on my pan cam

I agree. Getting to tagged events from a camera’s Live Stream is a work-around or alternate pathway, but I think you’ve done a good job of pointing out that the playback pathway from the Events tab is still broken for some cameras (I still don’t know why some and not others) is a persistent issue that should probably be readdressed if/when fix-it-friday resumes, and, like I said, I’d still log it and open a Support ticket with the Log ID, especially if you can reproduce this issue with your new camera.

I just remembered one other thing you can try while you’re waiting for your new camera. Look at this topic starting here and continuing on through a number of posts:

Also be sure to visit the related topic that @Seapup links in his post. I’m wondering if you can get any resolution by doing the Reset Services/Restart Camera dance and/or refreshing your app’s local profile cache from Wyze’s servers. This is what I would do on Android; I don’t know what your options would be for modifying these steps on iOS since I don’t use that platform:

1. Clear the in-app cache: :bust_in_silhouette: Account ➜ App Settings ➜ Cache File Size ➜ Clear.
  2. Navigate back one screen to Account and tap Log Out at the bottom.
  3. Swipe the Wyze app out of your running Android apps.
  4. Long-press on the Wyze app’s launcher icon (on your phone’s home screen or wherever you tap to initially open the app) and then tap App info in the pop-up menu.
  5. Tap Force stop on the App info screen (you may need to tap OK to confirm) and then tap Storage & cache.
  6. Tap Clear cache and Clear storage on the Storage screen.
  7. Back up one screen (back to App info) and then tap Open and proceed to log back into your Wyze account/app. (You could optionally reboot your phone and then launch the Wyze app here for good measure if you wanted to do that instead of relaunching it immediately from this screen.)
1 Like

I’ve had that problem several times. Other brands don’t have that. I restart the camera and the SD card is “seen” again. Personally, I think it is a hardware issue

That didn’t help. It flashed correctly and it’s on 4.50.4.9222.

It still either doesn’t recognize the MicroSD Card, or it’s unsupported and it won’t reformat. I’ve tried different cards and sizes. So it probably is a hardware issue.

I’ve moved this camera to inside my garage to detect motion and turn on my wyze bulb for 6 minutes. And mounted a new (to me, from ebay) Pan Cam V3 on the driveway that is recoding continuously and able to be viewed, that is running on firmware 4.50.3.4240 and I’m keeping it there for a bit

1 Like

Well, I should be receiving my new pan cam from Amazon today and it will be telling.

3 Likes

:crossed_fingers:

Just to clarify, the two ways you can get to SD card recordings are:

Bring up live view and tap “SD card” and scroll through the timeline
Go to an event still photo and tap “SD card” which should take you directly to that spot on the timeline on the SD card.

If you go to an event and try to play it without first tapping SD card, that is the cloud recording. So I’m wondering if it is somehow getting confused (if that’s what you’re trying to do).

My new Pan Cam is now set up and I’m disapointed to say that it does not recognize the SD card from Events after hitting playback which is how my original Pan cam works. By the way, my V3’s all work the way my original Pan cam works. Planning to return the new Pan cam very soon

1 Like

3.2.0 b576
Android 14
Samsung S21 Ultra

@tlhutch4 @dave27 and others.

This is bizarre. I did not realize you could go to Events and click on SD card. I have always gone to the camera and clicked on SD card. I have seen some of the posts like this one and felt a bit smug–glad I don’t have that problem.

I do.

I have 3 pan Scan cameras. They all have SD cards. Playback has been flawless if I go to the camera and click SD card. For the first time I tried Events > SD Card. One of the 3 started playing back at the proper time but was jerky. Never seen that before. The next pan Scan said I did not have an SD card. It is repeatable!!! The last pan Scan went to the proper event on the SD card and played back perfectly.

All 3 pan scans are on FW 1318. I spo
t checked a couple of other models, a V3 pro and a v4 and did not see this issue.

I’ll spend sometime examining the 3 pan Scans to see if I can identify differences.

1 Like

@tlhutch4

I’ve found somethings that are wrong. After double checking everything in my previous post I decided to format each SD card. So I don’t lose my marbles I’m going to identify each camera with their name.

Living room pan Scan V3, 32gB, will not format.

Dining room pan Scan V3, 64gB, will not format.

Backyard Pan Scan V3, 128gB, will not format.

Doorbell v2, Front Yard V3 pro, Birdfeeder v4, all formatted properly.

If you can would you verify if your able to format the suspect camera?

BTW. All SD cards are either Samsung or sandisk. I’ve never had one go bad in my 10 cameras.

Since you didn’t mention how you’re attempting format, my inclination is to think you’re using the in-app/in-camera facility, but it might be good to rule out card problems by trying with something like the SD Memory Card Formatter as mentioned earlier in this topic if you’ve made the decision to format them anyway. (Depending on how your cameras are placed/mounted, this might not be an easy proposition, so I don’t blame you if you’d rather skip it.)

1 Like

Appreciate your idea but I’m going to hold off a bit. Mobility challenged and that is not easy.

Aside from that, the fact that my non pan scans all formatted properly…

1 Like

Okay, so that seems like a confirmation that you did/attempted in-camera formats. Those are still potentially useful data points! :+1:

Yes, using the app formatter.

Earlier when I said one camera was jerky that is not repeatable.

It may be awhile but I may try and get the SD card reformatted from the backyard.

Of course Murphy could have made the problem camera the one in living room. 8 ft away, chest level, and on its stand. But no, Murphy chose the one in the backyard, 10 ft high, and hanging upside down on the Wyze hanger. :sob:

@ronl4625

I did in fact use the in app format tool in the camera to format my card. Didn’t help my problem

@tlhutch4

Thank you.

Do you remember when you formatted the SD card. Did the app say format complete and change the horizontal indicator from almost full to empty.

Or did it say format complete and not change the indicator, still showing almost full. This is the indication I’m getting.

The reason I’m asking is I don’t want the formatting to be an issue if it may be a simple UI fix and obscure the real issue is why we’re getting the no sd card message.

Sometime today I hope to get the backyard Cam (the problem cam) inside the house. Then I can swap SD cards etc etc

Ronl4725

Answer is yes it said format complete, and it did change the horizontal indicator from wherever it was to empty.

To all.

I have more data.

Was able bring the backyard camera inside. First thing I did was remove sandisk 128gB Extreme and replace it with a brand new, out of the package sandisk 64gB High Endurance.

Let the SD record some data. Try Recent Event > SD card.

SD card not found.

OK, does formatting work. Yes, exactly like it’s supposed to. And same as my non pan scan cameras.

Put original SD card back in. It formatted properly.

Whats different?

Power plug—no
Cable—no
Wifi SSID----no
Hardware reset—YES

When I removed the Backyard Cam and brought it in the unit was unplugged for a few minutes.

This can’t be but let’s verify.

Cold start (unplug > wait 10s > plugin)

Cold start living room— success
Cold start dining room— success
Cold start backyard - - - - success

I tried reformatting each camera twice after this and were successful.

The formatting issue may or may not be related to the “No SD card” issue.

During all of this testing I kept checking the 3 cameras to see if the no SD card issue had changed. It had not. The problem camera, Backyard camera, is now only a foot away.

I’m going to stop thinking about the formatting issue and get back to the no SD card issue. If anyone has any ideas going forward throw them at me.

1 Like

Ronl4625
Excellent troubleshooting. Happy to see someone trying to figure this out. You can see that I have added whatever I thought would be helpful but I’m kind of tapped out right now. Hopefully you or someone will get to the bottom of this issue.

1 Like

Here is what I see on mine. This must have started with a fairly recent app or firmware update:

Go to camera live view → tap SD card - all is fine
Pull up the events list in that same view → Tap an event → Tap SD card - all is fine
Go to events tab → tap an event for a Panv3 there → tap playback - I briefly get a “Failed to load from local storage” then it starts playing. After testing multiple events from my two Panv3s, I did finally get the “no SD card inserted”. But going to either of the two views above still works fine after getting that message.

I wonder if it is something to do with the fact that #3’s screen has “playback” instead of “sd card”. It is like it is a different view from the event view under the camera itself. The app may be somehow confusing the old and new interfaces.

Honestly I don’t do the #3 process all that often. I do not have notifications enabled for the Panv3s as they would alert all day, so I’m not sure which screen the notification takes you to when you tap it. #1 and #2 I do somewhat regularly and they’ve been working fine, no issues there.

I’m guessing it is some combo of firmware and app version, since OP has an older firmware cam that doesn’t do this. I don’t want to attempt to format my SD cards as they have 2 weeks of video I might need, but I do not see this as an SD card or camera hardware issue, this is a glitch in the app, apparently related to certain firmware versions.

EDIT
Just turned notifications on for a bit for one Panv3. Tapping the notification does take you to the #3 screen (the one with “playback” instead of “sd card”) and I get the brief “failed to load” followed by it playing back fine. I suspect this is related to the same issue that makes my Panv3s not have full motion video on the “favorites” screen, and sometimes even in cam group view, but that is just a guess. But going to the event view for that same event under the cam itself (the one with “sd card”) does not give any error.

So I guess you have to ask if this is too big of a bug/hassle to deal with. Probably something that needs to be reported to Wyze for an eventual fix but that won’t be immediate.

A workaround right now is when you get a notification and go to the still image, tap “livestream” then swipe up the “events” from the bottom, the most recent should be the one that notified you (or even if you’re looking later, it should be there, maybe further down in the list). Tapping that and then SD card should work fine.

Apologies if I added confusion, since I don’t use notifications on these cams, had no idea that the screen from there was slightly different and that was the one you were having issues with. I’ve always used either the recent events “drawer” that slides up from the bottom, or just gone into the SD card and used the timeline to scroll between events.

EDIT 2
I forgot I have a phone that runs the 2.5 app still. Seeing the same behavior there. In fact it is more repeatable, one cam always now gives the brief “cannot load” followed by playing the video fine, the other always gives the “no sd card” error. But again only from the events or notifications, viewing from either of the two places on the cam screen works fine on both.

So this does appear to be firmware related, since @tlhutch4 does not see the behavior on an older firmware Panv3. Given that I rarely have used that screen, hard to say how long ago the issue was introduced. The latest firmware came out quite a while ago.

I believe that’s a good thought, but I’m not yet convinced that it tells the entire story, because I’m thinking back to the Fix-It Friday - April 2024 topic (and related topics around that time) discussing microSD card playback issues that were mostly being reported for Cam v3 (not Pan), and there was speculation that the issue might have been some kind of temporal thing related to Activation Date and/or date of manufacture, because older cameras (with earlier Activation Dates) weren’t experiencing the issues that newer units were.

I believe there was also discussion that the problem may have affected cameras activated after Wyze made some server changes related to Cam Plus Lite subscription availability around the beginning of the year, but I’m just going from recollection now and not taking the time to track that down. I don’t recall ever seeing that publicly confirmed by Wyze, anyway.

I say all this to say that my two Cam Pan v3s have had the same firmware updates applied at the same times but have not always exhibited the same behavior (as described in detail in the post I linked up there :point_up:). I don’t know what the answer is, and even though it’s not currently affecting me (partly because I so seldom use the Events tab), I’m frustrated to see that it persists for others, so I’m glad that it’s being discussed, and I hope that it gets priority in a future fix-it-friday.