SD Card Melting

I am using PNY 16 GB Elite. I noticed the situation because the camera stopped working. I could not connect to WiFi at all. Even I tried to reset the camera it does not work. And camera will reset by itself every 5 minutes.

3 Likes

I am very sorry about missing this until now. I checked on your support ticket and I see that it has already been handled. Thank you for letting us know about this issue. We apologize for this experience.

1 Like

This whole thread, along with Amazon reviews about how the power supplies get very hot, are extremely concerning. Has anyone determined if this issue is limited to the square-shaped Cam (Wyze Cam v2 - “WYZEC2”), or does it also affect the rectangular, pan/tilt cam (Wyze Cam Pan - " WYZECP1")?

For the record: I just cancelled my WYZEC2 order through Amazon (they were running a Lightning Deal). However, I’m keeping my order for the WYZECP1 because I can’t seem to locate any hazard-related posts with that latter model.

When I used the little Wyze power bricks, I never had any problems with heat. I don’t use them anymore though. Have never had a problem with the SD Card either.

Both seem to be isolated incidents that Wyze promptly makes right, when they do occur.

2 Likes

Slight overreaction given the numbers involved. I’d bet that the failure rate at QC and testing is higher.

1 Like

The camera itself gets a little warm while operating, but nothing unusual or unpleasant. It’s less than the heat from an idling laptop, for example. As for the power supply brick, I just felt all of mine, and they all feel like they’re room temperature.

I’m very concerned about this , especially since I am new to the wyze camera thing and purchased several off Amazon recently. Considering I leave out of town many times a month , these “security cameras” are leaving me very " Insecure" over this melt down thing. I am very much considering sending everyone back to Amazon… What is the out come here, and please don’t tell me the statics are low, because if it causes just one house fire then its already WAY to high… Especially if some one gets hurts… ???

I did shoot the camera sides with a thermal infrared thermometer to get the highest temps it was putting out. The sides were the hottest with 96 - 98 which is not that high the bottom by the card was 80…

I understand your concern, although these kind of issues can be caused by faulty MicroSD cards in a variety of devices. As for Wyze specifically, there have been zero reports of fires, and the camera housing is made of a flame-retardant plastic. Having said that, it’s probably not a good idea to keep ANY electrical devices close to particularly flammible items. (It’s not a good idea to hide electrical cords behind curtains, for example.)

Due to the design of the Wyze cam, I think it would be almost impossible for an event like this to cause an actual fire, because the SD card slot is separated from the ground or mounting surface with the attached swivel base. If you extend the base, you could make that separation several centimeters if you want to. And if it’s closed, the thick plastic of the swivel base itself would probably smother any potential flame (which, it’s worth saying again, has never been reported.) But if you’re particularly worried about it, you could always remove the SD card.

Wyze did post an official update about this issue here:

4 Likes

Ok thank you both for your comments but I do have some potential problems with this,
Let me explain,

1. You say the words " Wyze specifically, there have been zero reports of fires" well that’s not necessarily true. A thermal issue that distorts the shape or color of a unit is a potential fire, The starter of this thread posted a picture of a “wyse” sd card and used in a wyze camera so, wyze does carry the burden of this problem.
  2. The same effect you tell people to keep these cameras away from curtains and the way you describe it is as if they will “BURST INTO FLAMES” at least when you say things like that , that’s what I hear.
  3. You mention “around 1/100,000th of a percent” So what are you saying here? How would you like your home and family safety to be that 1 in 100,000th of a unit to do this?
  4. The words “flame retardant materials” mean NOTHING, to the people who understand fire, that just means “IT CAN BURN JUST NOT AS LIKELY TO FUEL THE FLAME” Lots of stuff is flame retardant and it goes up in flames all the time. Oh and are your SD cards Flame retardant?
  5. Not sure where these are made but I defiantly had my share of overseas products made with no particular care for my family or yours.
    I am happy to hear about the “ 5volts ” and haven’t seen any of my cameras heat up yet,
    But rest assured all the fancy words and mathematics here make no difference if even (1) one person is hurt, burnt, house destroyed or family up in flames because it was just simply around 1/100,000th of a percent. Thank you in the meanwhile for responding on this since it’s a HUGE concern to me, I will continue to watch this thread, I hope EVERYONE else is also. Thank you

I said that, in general, you shouldn’t keep electrical cords near curtains. I spoke about basic fire safety for all electrical devices. I can’t help what you may hear, but it’s certainly nothing like what I said.

Anyway, it sounds like you’re pretty worried about it, and I doubt I can add much more to this to ease your mind. All I can say is that the risk of a melting card is infinitesimally low, let alone a fire. Certainly if you see any damage to the electronics on your unit or your SD card, you shouldn’t use it. Again, that would be true of any electrical devices, frayed cords, etc. If you’re overly concerned about it, I’d suggest unplugging all of your electrical devices when you leave home, as any of them would carry some infinitesimally low risk.

3 Likes

Great a SECURITY CAMERA that I have to unplug when I’m NOT home is what your saying… OK I HEAR YOU…

I think I’ve said all I can say here. If you have further concerns, I’d suggest talking to Wyze directly. Here’s the link for Wyze Support.

2 Likes

There is calculated risks on everything. It would be ignorance to ignore the (fancy) math. The facts are in the math and the electronics we all enjoy. The product has a 5 Volt @ 1 Amp power supply. (Volts x Amps = Watts) In fancy math that’s 5 watts of power! Flame retardant plastics will self extenguish. The plastic will expand (and blacken), it will not support combustion. There is much more risk in our (and your) daily activities, that we all take for granted that it perfectly safe. If we objectively assessed the risk on everything we do with a 1 /100,000 chance or worse. We’d all cowel in a corner with a blanket over our heads.

2 Likes

1/100,000 of a percent is even less. :slight_smile: Literally one-in-a-million.

2 Likes

Has long as the blanket isn’t Flame retardant. Yes I get the theory of getting hit by a bus when crossing the street. But and I DO SAY BUT, lets face the facts other cameras in which 'Ive owned, HAVE never had these problems with flaming up. Lots of items are flame retardant, we have in our house and it means what it says FLAME RETARDANT, NOT BURN PROOF.The last thing I want is a SECURITY CAMERA THAT MIGHT <<MIGHT burn my house down when im gone. Oh yeah unless I unplug it … that s a real joke…Ok we can go here all day and I wont bother anymore, I hope your not that 1 in 1 million and I bet you sold a lot of cameras, I just have a huge feeling the next cameras coming out will have a huge disclaimer in or on them after the legal people get this. Maybe I ll send mine to consumer reports …Have great day . be safe all of you…

Thank you. Missed the line from Wyze “(around 1/100,000th of a percent)”.
Even if it was 1/10,000, we humans are terrible at judging real risks over apparent risk.

2 Likes

If you are that worried either return them and buy something else (which will probably have the same risk factors) or set them in an ashtray or other fire safe area.
Do your other cameras say “BURN PROOF”?

Well I wasn’t going to say anything BUT I just couldn’t stop myself …
You said: " Do your other cameras say “BURN PROOF”? " no they do not, but then I don’t know any other cameras that have a thread going like this for this problem… …
then you said : "set them in an ashtray or other fire safe area " really this is funny in itself. wyze cam the only camera that comes with a FREE ashtray… that’s just crazy… in itself… I think we got off point here . this thread was about a solution to see who had this problem and if there was a fix “A REAL FIX” not one like a ashtray. I guess there is not. Thank You

I don’t get the paranoia. Don’t get me wrong, you should be safe. But as far as I can tell, the risk is no greater than any other devices that you plug into an outlet. Everything that uses electricity has a chance of overheating. Take precautions.
Before you say anything, I’m only of the people who had an affected cam. I posted on this thread a few months ago. Guess what? I bought another Wyze cam 3 weeks ago. Because I stand by my original belief that the camera overheat from trying to read a defected card. Said camera was working fine for an year. The problem only appeared when I put in a new sd card. When I put that card into another cam, it started to heat up right away so I took it out. Upon closer inspection, that card was bent. The locking mechanism in the first cam melted so it cant take cards anymore. Guess what? I still use that cam to spy on feral cat that lives in the shed in my backyard.
My recommendation to the Wyze team is to limit the number of attempts to read a card. After X numbers of failure, just stop trying to read the card until someone reset the cam or put in a new card.

1 Like

A quick Google search would dispel that notion. Here are a handful of links with people reporting melted SD cards in lots of devices by reputable manufacturers like Canon and Nintendo, and reputable card manufacturers like Sandisk. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I also tried and failed to find an instance of an SD card failure ever causing a fire, in any device, by any manufacturer. If it has ever happened, I can’t find any reports of it. Feel free to correct me if you find something.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Filmmakers/comments/5vioty/camera_melted_sd_card_any_idea_how_this_happened/
https://www.reddit.com/r/3DS/comments/76evmm/sandisk_sd_card_has_melted_my_3ds/

1 Like