Rtsp on Wyse Camera v3

That link I posted earlier goes to the beta thread and the conversation there may help you get it running, that is where they are posting the troubleshooting

2 Likes

I have 4 Cam V3, 3 Cam v2 and 2 Cam Pan all with their respective RSTP firmware installed and keep have constant disconnects with the Cam v3’s.

Hope they can resolve it soon.

Please try to keep anything technical limited to the official Beta testing thread at:

1 Like

Can a mod just merge these threads please.

I am having the same issue on V2 and V3. It continues to go into regular setup. I have ensured I renamed the demo file correctly for each version and have tried multiple SD cards but no difference.

Don’t rename the file… that’s the mistake I was making. Once you unzip it, use that same file as is.

I did that the first time but I will try it again without renaming it, thanks

What size are the sd cards you are using?

Original attempts were using a 64 Gig then I changed to a 32 with the same results. I was following recommendations from others before posting.

Flashing MUST be done with no larger that 32GB cards.

2 Likes

You can use any size card, just format it for 32GB before transferring the .bin.

That is incorrect. larger cards will work for normal operation, but flashing requires no larger than 32GB (regardless of what format is used).

After having rtsp firmware installed on my newly purchased V3, I have connected to tinycam Pro and Blue Iris. I love the starlight sensor, but I’m seeing hundreds of reconnects a day, causing a lot of missed activity. I have two V2 cameras with rtsp installed, one of which sees about 100 reconnects a day, and the other about 20. Set next to a cheap ezviz camera which I see no reconnects a day. So it would seem that my wifi network nor my BlueIris setup is not to blame.

Any special tuning required for the rtsp software to work without all the disconnects? Or recommended other brands cameras with startlight sensors? I really like this sensor on the V3.

While I have no personal experience with them yet, you may want to look at the Reolink cameras. Many of their models have color night vision (the starlight sensor) and many support ONVIF. This one is perhaps closest in cost/design to the Wyze v3, but while it supports their NVR, it doesn’t support ONVIF (as their PoE cameras do) or RTSP:
https://www.amazon.com/Spotlight-Reolink-Lumus-Detection-Waterproof/dp/B08628J862

I noticed you said you were using Tinycam Pro. That is supposed to be able to connect to Wyze cameras without using RTSP, and then serve a more “standard” video stream. Had you experimented with that?

I have been having troubles with TinyCam Pro crashing on my shield which causes me grief, that’s why I was looking into BlueIris. So I’d be looking for cameras that support ONVIF or RTSP.

Also looking into my wifi network for issues, but shouldn’t be. Running Ubiquiti Amplifi HD with the wyze cam 3 within 10 feet of it. No other issues are apparent on the network with anything I use, but you never know.

I stopped using TinyCam and moved over to blue iris. The issue with Tinycam is that because you run it on a virtual environment, you can only have max of 4-5 cameras if you’re lucky.

Anything more than that, cameras will start disconnecting because it’s overwhelming the cpu.

Yes, blue iris is pricey but if you have a decent system you can avoid a lot of issues like the one I mentioned above. At first I thought it was my internet, but I learned it was a system limitation causing the disconnects

Not to sound like a fanboy, but Blue Iris is literally the least expensive software I own. And almost entirely insignificant compared to the cost of mainstream security cameras. I guess that $30 cameras kind of blow the grading curve, but perhaps not if one wants better image quality, easier integration, and solid reliability. Oh, and actual support. Yeah, that could be a thing…

Although even with the many POE cameras that I’ve worked with, I’ve had less trouble with all of them combined than I have with my one and only Wyze V3. I wish it wasn’t so, that that’s the honest truth of the matter. The V3 is a great camera for those who are more interested in tinkering than they are in actual security. It’s cute, it’s fun, and the image quality is good enough to be entertaining, but with only 2MP resolution and a very wide 130 degree field of view, it’s not good enough to ID a face from more than a few feet away.

Per DORI, 76 PPF is needed for facial ID, and using this calculator, that happens at 2 feet with the V3. My personal experience suggests that it might be better than that, but since the V3 is not included in the tool’s list of cameras, and Wyze doesn’t publish any meaningful specs, I had to make some assumptions.

37 PPF is enough for recognize someone who is already knows, but even that is limited to ~11 feet:Screenshot 2021-10-18 130919

1 Like

Has anyone else notice some Wyze cam on rtsp start acting weird like disconnecting/reconnecting every few minutes if you block internet?

Mine do that…as soon as I unblock them, I get no more issues…why is that?

I thought rtsp disnt need to connect to Wyze servers anymore… not saying they are, but it’s weird that all connectivity issues I get go away once I unblock them.

1 Like

After testing RTSP, it was found - in the absence of the Internet (you can see the camera constantly tries to connect to the cloud once a minute), the video transmission also stops (according to the protocol, it is similar to timing in 6 seconds, like a disconnection). Depending on the software (its own timeout is added), the video stops from 5 to 40 seconds. The program with the minimum time, has a video playback delay of 2 seconds.

I repeat, this camera works correctly only if, when the supply voltage is applied, it was able to reach its cloud on the Internet. This is a significant drawback.