Rtsp on Wyse Camera v3

I agree and believe they will never give us rtsp. They have probably decided to just force people ( if they can) to use their subscription service. I am sorry I bought the V3 and I don’t buy Wyze products anymore.

1 Like

There are many of us who use this camera as a live cam in a vehicle and / or off the grid in commercial buildings. We not only don’t have internet , we don’t want it - nor do we want subscriptions to anything.

That said - does anyone know of a DECENT RTSP camera in a similar form factor - powered by USB or 12V ? I’m over WYZE - returned 166 of their V3 cams this past week. We are abandoning the brand and looking for something else.

Specifically I need something that works with TinyCam Pro

1 Like

There are lots of great IP cameras out there, complete with POE and RTSP, but they’re not as small and/or as cheap as the V3. Conversely, the V3 has a small form factor and it’s cheap, but it lacks essential functionality like POE and RTSP. Probably worth mentioning too that the audio quality is pretty terrible, but again, it’s cheap. If the form factor or the cheapness is more important than essential functionality, then the V3 might make sense.

Otherwise, lots of things are better, I literally don’t have any other cameras that are as bad as the V3, but I’d still buy some for applications where the form factor makes more sense than a traditional POE camera, if Wyze would fix RTSP. I’d even pay more for RTSP and POE. Would you? Or is it a case of wanting a real camera for $30? Because in my experience, real cameras cost more than that. For example, we have some really nice POE cameras, but they’re 10x more expensive.

Is it reasonable to expect the same kind of functionality and performance for orders of magnitude less? I mean, I want RTSP as much as anyone does, but Wyze’ whole business model depends upon their cloud app. It’s a little camera designed for people who don’t yet understand the real world challenges of video surveillance. Or perhaps for people who just want to play around with a camera, but who aren’t willing to deal with (or pay for) a “real” system. Or at least, not yet.

Many in this thread are in transition…beginning to understand, and frustrated that a $30 camera can’t do what they are now beginning to understand that it needs to do in order to be viable.

1 Like

I agree with most of what you say, but you forgot to mention that Wyse sort of said they would give us rtsp… then they didn’t. That is the crux of this situation.

2 Likes

Fair point, and I have to admit that I almost bought some on the strength of that implied promise. But having been an early adopter for most of my life, I am slowly learning to base my buying decisions upon the product version that actually exists.

This is exactly the reason why I swapped out most of my V2s for V3s.

Wyze also reneged on their promise of us not paying for AI detection…

If you signed up for legacy you do not have to on the v2, they never promised it on the v3

Never promised?? Why did Wyze say that they’ve been beta testing since December of last year? Does that not imply that rtsp will be added to the V3??

Still waiting for RTSP on Wyze Cam V3. Now they are releasing Wyze Cam Pan V2 and want to buy it but tired of waiting for RTSP

No RTSP, no customer…

Might be time for me to shop other products.

1 Like

RTSP for V3 got released about an hour ago.

nice! as a thanks I just purchased another v3

Thanks for the heads up! #notabrickanymore

As a thanks I just purchased 3 more…

I was referring to the AI detection

1 Like

Why is there an RTSP download option for v3?

Does that mean rtsp is ready for V3?

I downloaded it and installed, but it doesn’t install the rtsp feature… I got so happy when I saw that, but quickly got so bummed out lol

@macster2075
RTSP is available for the v3, currently in beta, linked thread below

2 Likes

oh… so it’s different link then? - I will try that one… I went on the other link I posted and clicked on the name Wyze Cam v3 RTSP file - but I guess that one doesn’t work.

oh wait… I think that’s the same file… same version like the one I already downloaded…but it doesn’t work for me… I press the reset button, leave it pressed and then plug in the usb cable… within a few moments, I hear “ready to connect”… go through the setup, but I don’t see the option for RSTP under advanced.

I’ve done rtsp installations before on the V2… is V3 any different?.. am I missing something?

According to the post on the Reddit group:
https://www.reddit.com/r/wyzecam/comments/pu4hij/_/he0ruuj

Thanks to /u/chevyman142000 for figuring renaming to demo.bin was incorrect. The firmware needs to be named demo_wcv3.bin for the V3 cam. NOT demo.bin like the support article says.

How to install the RTSP Firmware on Wyze Cam v3

1. Download the Wyze Cam v3 RTSP file.
  2. Unzip the file (demo_wcv3.bin) and transfer it to a microSD card’s root directory.
  3. Unplug your Wyze Cam and insert the prepared microSD card.
  4. Hold the camera’s Setup button while plugging in the USB cable and continue to hold the Setup button until the light turns solid blue/purple.
  5. Once the light is solid blue, release the Setup button and wait for 3-4 minutes. The camera will reboot, and the status light will change during this time.
    Note: The “Solid Blue” in this case is not the same as the one normally seen on the camera. Instead, both the blue and yellow LEDs will be on at once, making it appear to be a lighter blue.
  6. Once this process is finished, you should see flashing red lights. Quickly tap the Setup button and go through the setup process in the app.